New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rocket Broadheads  (Read 2824 times)

Offline eater-of-venison

• 2014/15 TH Whitetail Champion
  • 6 Point
Rocket Broadheads
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
anyone ever used the rockets? im planning try either the miniblaster (75 gr, 1 1/2 in cut), or steelhead (100 gr 1 1/8 in cut) which do you think would be better for a low poundage bow. (I'm planning on replacing the good ole horton with a compound for this deer season, probably a Hoyt, Martin, or a Parker.)
Any feedback on the bows couldn't hurt anything either.
 ##$%#115
Josh Henderson
2012 Team #4 Rack 'em 'n Stack 'em
"I cannot not hunt"
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Re: Rocket Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »
Haven't used them myself. Thought about them awhile back with the 100 grain but went with the G5 Strikers. See how they shoot with your bow and get some advice from the bowshop where you get you bow from. Good luck!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
i use steelheads and have had great luck w/ them. they fly just like fieldpoints. good choice
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
All the modern broad heads are good today. The most important thing is to practice enough to make sure you can put it in the lung area on a consistent basis. We owe it to the animal to do our best not to wound due to lack of preparation. In a lighter draw bow, I think the 75 grain might be a better choice so you can keep the feet per second up as well. Good luck to you!
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
i forgot to mention, don't forget to look at the Mission bows by Mathews. they are a great bow and you can increase poundage and draw length as you grow. you won't need to keep up-sizing. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline eater-of-venison

• 2014/15 TH Whitetail Champion
  • 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »
i forgot to mention, don't forget to look at the Mission bows by Mathews. they are a great bow and you can increase poundage and draw length as you grow. you won't need to keep up-sizing. good luck
I like the sounds of that, might have to check it out.
Thanks for the advise guys!!
Josh Henderson
2012 Team #4 Rack 'em 'n Stack 'em
"I cannot not hunt"
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
My son has the Mission Craze and it is one of the best bows for young and growing people IMO. He is 10yrs. old and it will work for me as well. Just adjust the draw length and poundage as you grow, nothing else to buy to change the setup.   

Offline bear attack

• 2014 Trail Cam Contest Winner
  • 6 Point
  • 2013 archery 10 point
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
Iv'e always had good success with the steelheads with lower poundage.
2013 Mission Ballistic
Viper Sight.
QAD drop away rest
K-tech stabilizer (designed by Dave Andrews)
Carbon Impact arrows.
Dead Ringer broadheads.
= alot of dead deer.

Offline Billythekid

• Button Buck
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
Before you pick a broadhead, pick a bow!  The bows you have mentioned are all of good quality and will give you years of enjoyment. Don,t get stuck on a brand name or what a buddy shoots. Pick a bow that fits your hand like it was made for you and you alone. A small grip will help lessen hand torque and give a better feel when its cold and you have to wear a glove. Set it up for rock solid performance in the field. Great  rest, sight, and quiver. Make your setup idiotprof. Because when the big guy walks by, you will be an idiot!!!!! Tune, Tune, and Tune and then lock everything down rock solid.   Get as many broadheads as you can get your hands on and find the one that you have the most confidence in. A 1 inch hole in the vitals will get it done EVERY time. Solid performance comes from solid construction. My personal choice is the G5 montec. It shoots just like my field points and blows through both sides on even large Bull elk. I,ve had to dig them out of trees on the other side of the animal on many occasions.  But this is not to say you should make this your choice. Shoot what gives you the most confidence!!!!

Offline Lizette

• Spike
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »
I prefer ULTIMATE STEEL BROADHEAD.

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
Also take a look at the Bowtech Assassin! If all goes well when I test fire it this weekend that's going to be my next bow. Been on-line researching bows in the $600 range and the Bowtech Assassin with an included Octane RAK system is $599 and the reviews on-line have been great. I figure I'll move my accessories over to it and then put the Octane accessories on my old Hoyt UltraSport and sell it.
Air Force Veteran

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:08:28 PM »

yes ,  pick you bow first    (don;t forget PSE)  try them all then pick what YOU like and not all the comercials that tell you what to shoot...

then

pick your broadhead  i used rockets awile back  were ok i can;t say either good or bad  but i am now  using the G5  check as many as you can out!

good luck and good shootin!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Gunlawyer

• 4 Point
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
I used the Rocket Steelhead 100s for years with good results.  Switched to Rage though in the last few years.  If I were to shoot a reduced poundage bow now, I would probably look real hard at these:

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Products/40-KE-Broadhead.php
NRA Endowment Life Member
NRA Instructor and Range Safety Officer
Virginia Hunter Education Instructor
Deer Eater

New Page 3

Google Ad