New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Good times with my kids  (Read 752 times)

Offline Blocko

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Hunt and Fish
Good times with my kids
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »
Monday was opening day here.  I let my 11 year old daughter skip a day of school so we could hunt.  She's a straight A student, so I feel she can be rewarded with a day off for something special and I know she'll work hard to catch herself back up.  Besides, 10 years from now, which do you think she'll still have in her memory...the stuff she learned that day at school or the events of her first turkey hunt.  I think that answer is obvious.  Sometimes, there are other things in life that are more valuable and meaningful than school.

Anyway, she shot her first deer last fall, so she was ready to chase her first turkey.  She is a typical girl, always running late in the morning...but not this day.  She was ready before I was.  I knew she was excited.

Upon getting in our blind, we had birds responding immediately from their roost within 200 yards of us.  Shortly after light, she spotted them quietly entering the food plot.  I got her set up with the 20 gauge...and got my video camera rolling.  I immediately realized that the birds were two hens and a jake.  As they worked their way across the small food plot, I informed her that he was a jake, not a tom, but she could legally shoot a jake.  She was quiet for a few seconds and then stated, "Dad, I really want to shoot a tom.  Can I let him go for next year?".  I didn't answer her right away.  I was speechless.  Her statement and question really hit me hard. 
With my hunting buddies and family, I talk about attempting to harvest mature animals and saving young animals for later years...but I never realized that she was listening to those discussions...and I never realized that she was actually hearing what I was saying.  The fact that she realized that she didn't want to just shoot any bird was huge, but the fact that she realized she could leave this bird for another time just floored me.  At 11 years old, she understands.  I was incredibly proud of her at that moment.
Honestly, I was prepared to let her take any jake or tom for her first bird...to give her some excitement and give her a great experience.  I didn't realize that she had other ideas.
She then stated "or maybe, Maddy (her 9 year old sister) can shoot him".  What the heck is going on?  Who is this girl?  I couldn't believe what she was saying again.  Now, they are great sisters and get along just fine, but when it comes to sharing with each other, there is a lot to be desired.  But, there she was stating that if she leaves the jake alone, possibly her sister could shoot it.  (My 9 year old can hunt in Michigan's mentor program and I was planning to take her out the next day).
Wow!  I was floored.  Just when you think all your parenting is going in one ear and out the other...it's nice to know that some of it is sinking in.  What a great experience for me!!!
Anyway, we watched the birds for a long time until they disappeared.  We didn't get any other opportunities, but we are hitting it again tomorrow morning.  I hope I can find her a nice tom, to reward her for being the person she is right now and for the person she is becoming.
BIG THANKS to all the Great Sponsors!!!!!

NRA member
2010 Talk Hunting Turkey Championship - 2nd place
President of Block Design & Construction Services, Inc.
Michigan Professional Engineer

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Good times with my kids
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
that's awesome, Blocko!  Kids sometimes have the knack to say the right thing at the right time, and they can absolutely floor you.  Grandkids have the same ability, as I have found out.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »

That is a great read!

good luck on getting that Tom !

@--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
sounds like a great time. my daughter was the same way until 3 jakes came in. then she wanted to shoot one. i let her shoot whatever she wants as long as it's legal. at some point she may be able to hold off like your daughter, but for now just about everything is fair game.

nice work blocko
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
Great story. You should be very proud of her. I have found with my kids they do hear you a lot, but they only remember what they want to remember.

Good luck with getting her and her sister a big ol tom.

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »
That was a great time.....thanks for sharing it with us.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »
You're obviously raising them to understand the outdoors and nature, Blocko.    A great gift.     She did the right thing and I hope the next gobbler she sees is a really big one.     Kudos to her, and to you for teaching them the right way to do things.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:58:50 AM »
Sounds like one great kid.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Offline NotRite

• 10 Point
  • 5lb-12oz Ky Spot Caught 5-06-12
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:04:01 AM »
Great story brother! Just goes to show why a parent can never give up and just keep on saying the things you know and believe in....it DOES get heard. Hope things work out for you on the 2nd day. Good Luck!
BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

New Page 3

Google Ad