New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Birds Down in the midwest  (Read 661 times)

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
Birds Down in the midwest
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »
Well I'm not counting my blessings yet but after many tough and trying years in the woods for both deer and turkeys it seems like 2012 is shaping up to be an extremely good year to me and my hunting partner.  Last year was a tough one spring nebraska turkey it took us 4 hunts just to end up with a jake.  I was exstatic because it was my first bird ever with a bow.  Last falls deer season was probably the toughest I have ever had.  Took four hunts just to put a doe on the ground.  Then that night my bow got stolen.  Thank god I work at a scheels and was able to have a new bow within a couple days.  The second week in November was one of the craziest weeks I have ever seen in the deer woods.  I missed an opportunity at a 140 inch 10 on tuesday and on that friday had a 170 inch 10 come strolling by my stand at 30 yards but on the wrong side of the tree No shot opportunity.   Nebraska rifle went well that was the highlight of my season and Late muzzleloader turned into a bunch of misses at ranges from 25 yards to 100 yards.  Late doe season was almost going to be the same.  Missed a doe at 35 yards only to end up shooting one off hand at 100 yards.  (every other shot I took last winter I had a rest.) @--0--0117  Shed hunting was tough cause of the mild winter.  Now the 2012 turkey season is a whole story itself.  Nebraska archery opens up March 25th.  and the next weekend we headed out for a saturday night and all day sunday hunt.  Saturday night I got my first archery tom.  It unfortunatly wasn't on film as my camera man recorded them coming in then hit the record button again thinking he wasn't recording.  He did get me shooting another tom that night but we never found him and ended up seeing him the next morning.  That morning we didn't get anything but saw a lot of birds.  That night my hunting buddy and camera man ended up shooting a tom but we couldn't film that either as we had to shoot him out of the back of the blind.  2 birds down in three hunts that awesome.  Easter sunday I was back out there for a family lunch and my hunting buddy came out and we hunted that night.  This is where it gets almost unbelieveable.  We get a tom and a bunch of hens to come in but they went into the cattle yard to scratch around.  One hen comes up to our upright hen decoy and starts posturing up to it and pecks at it for a while.  This brings all the other hens out and one of the hens actually comes up to the decoys in a full strut and starts beating on the decoy for 23 minutes.  The tom couldn't figure out how to get out of the yard which was devastating.  Well as luck would have it we heard a gobble behind us and saw three jakes coming our way.  they ended up in the spread at about 10 yards.  I stuck the first one and the other two jakes ran down to him.  we then switched positions from shooter to camera man and he stuck the second one.  Switched back and I stuck the third one at 32 yards.  All three birds were down within 40 60 yards of the blind.  The tom and the hens ended up coming back and he shot the tom at 52 YARDS!  The best part is all of this is on film.  Week later Iowa's turkey season started and we went out on a tuesday morning before work and ended up shooting two toms all before 7 First time we had ever turkey hunted on the farm besides the night before putting some birds to bed.  So we each have one turkey tag left no room left in the freezer and have ended up with 4 birds a piece so far in about 4 days of total hunting.   I don't know what it is that is giving us all the luck but I hope it holds through deer season this year.  And the decoys we are using are new to us and they are well worth the money for any serious turkey hunter is the Dave Smith Decoys.  They are so realistic we have footage of a hen standing next to one that the only way to tell the difference is because of the size.  Every hunt we have had the hens have came up to the upright one and started pecking and wing slapping it.  Good luck to everyone else this spring!
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Birds Down in the midwest
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »
soun like you had a fun day    congrads on the hunt
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »
Hope the run of good luck continues for you NWIA!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
Sounds like you guys are on a great run...congrats!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
Great Day Congrats
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
Congrats NWIA!!!!
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
Congrats!!  ##$%#111
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

New Page 3

Google Ad