New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Any help??  (Read 1109 times)

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
Any help??
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
What makes a turkey a tom and not a jake. I have read that if it has a beard 5 inches long it is a tom, but don't seem to find any other information to this. What does everyone here think.

Also what are your thought as to what is a "trophy" like beard length, weight, & spurs? Just trying to learn some more information on turkeys since I am so new to this. 

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Any help??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »
there is an unofficial boone and crockett scoring type system. you can google it. i haven't looked it up in years. it takes spur length, beard and wt into consideration.

a jake is a year old tom. normally a jake in the midwest has a beard 2-4" long.

a trophy is in the eyes of the hunter. any beard over 11" is a dandy in my book. any spurs over 1 1/4" are an older bird

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
I consider a jake 1.5 year old turkey, I call them nubbies because they usually have beards less than five inches and nubs for spurs, hence the name, nubby....  I don't know the exact terminology for a jake and a tom, but a first year bird is a jake to me.  Their fans are not full like a tom either... the outside tailfeathers are usually shorter than the middle 6 or 8 also and they have a weak gobble or they key key...

A trophy bird to me is a unusual turkey or a big old mean turkey... 1 1/4 inch spurs and up is a big bird... my biggest turkey weighed 23 pounds but was only a three year old bird, but my biggest spurred turkey had 1 7/8" spurs but not a real big beard (10 1/2")    My biggest beard is 13 inches.

I consider a two year old gobbler and up a bird to shoot... I don't shoot Jakes, I have in the past, but I won't anymore, regardless of the circumstances
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Possum

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
Any Mature Bird is a trophy to me.
Some states a Jake is view as having a beard less then 3 inches.
I think to be registered in the record book with the NWTF a Eastern or Rio must weigh at least 22 lb's, 10 Inch Beard, and 1.5" Spurs.
Check the NWTF for good info
http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/all_about_turkeys.html
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
The fan is full on a Tom and not on a jake
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Tattooed Hunter

• 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »

a trophy is in the eyes of the hunter.

@--0--0123
I agree with this statement no matter what you hunt. Anything that you use your skills to harvest is a trophy.
A bad day hunting is better than a good day working.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
they all taste the same      ##$%#111   
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
When trying to tell in the brush or a growing field I look to the beard but here in the North the Fan mainly...on a Jake the middle section of feathers are all taller that the feathers on either side...and the beard is short....but...if you see a short bearded Tom here in NY or many northern state you could still may have an older bird...snow and ice and beard rot takes it's tole..... and spurs are hard to see in brush and tall grass...thus the fan sighting is needed...example of older bird with not so old looking beard in pic....notice how thick the beard started out...but damage shortened it...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:09:34 AM by growalot »

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
to me any turkey is a trophy, but I am not an experienced turkey hunter
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »
Thanks for all help!! For me, since I have never shot a turkey yet, well kinda, I am ready to shoot any thing legal. Like I said I have only been turkey hunting one year and that was for my son to get one, which he did. I also agree that the "Trophy" is in the eyes of the beholder. If your happy with it, I'm happy with it (if you know what I mean) However my son needs to take one before I will pull the trigger myself.

The kinda part above is because I did shoot a jake a few years ago that kept getting into a major intersection of three major highways and we would chase it off and he would just keep coming back. Major traffic jam and almost caused several accidents. After almost two weeks of chasing this jake off and just to have him return in a few hours, everyday, the DNR told me to shoot it. Which me and my partner did. I know, that's not hunting, but.   

Online DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »
you have all the good answers here... @--0--0101 on your turkey quest
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 05:15:54 AM »
My first bird was a Jake and I was/am very proud of it...first  male bird that I was able to call into range after two years of trying...and a fine eating bird he was @--0--0137

New Page 3

Google Ad