New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Indiana Youth Season  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Indiana Youth Season
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
Stay hard after them

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
We had to leave sooner than we wanted today, but we had one on roost about 70ish yards inside the woods start to gobble at 5:45a.m and we heard him fly down, sound like a tree limb fell out more than a turkey flying down LOL.

He would gobble about 3 or 4 times a minute until 8:00a.m and then he stopped. About 10 minutes latter a coyote came out of the woods, but to far for the 12ga.

We could still hear him gobble once in a while what sounded like the other side of the woods, but instead of chasing him we had to leave. Guess we both will be hunting the regular season also.

Uncle Bucky, we are North of Fort Wayne about 40 minutes. Noble County.

Offline Uncle Bucky

• Spike
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
Sounds like you are on them,  Noble, not too far away

You using a decoy ?

Maybe try to cluck, cluck, cluck. Then an excited hen call , then use a gobble tube. 

I've found that if the gobbler is hung up another gobble will make him think he has competition

Or he could be with hens and if he won't come your way then sit and be patient. He will come back as soon as he breds his ladies.

Has he ever double gobbled back at you ?
Beauty is in the eye of the "bow holder"

common sense, it isn't so common anymore

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
I put out three hens and one jake decoy and I only use a wood style box call. The type you push the plunger in to make it cluck.

I am brand new at this turkey hunting. Today was the 4th time I have ever been out and all four times have been our youth season. both days last year and now these two days.

Since I really don't know much about turkeys I only give 3 or 4 short & soft clucks followed by 3 or 4 fast clucks at first light then I may do it again about 15 to 20 minutes latter. Then we just wait. It worked both days last year and I am sure it was going to work yesterday. Today it sounded like he flew down and worked to the back side of the woods, a picked corn field, and must off picked his strutting area and just gobbled and gobbled and gobbled. I think trying to make us go to him.

I told my son we should just skip today's prior plans and sit tight because he may come looking for us, but we had to leave.

Even though we did not get one this weekend, or even seen one, we had fun and still trying to learn all I can. A guy told me once not to go turkey hunting because you wont stop. He right.

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 07:52:21 AM »
It's addictive for sure, ligpd!   Lots of fun!!    Enjoyed your story and look forward to hearing of you and your sons' success!    Keep after 'em, it'll happen.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

New Page 3

Google Ad