New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Great Weekend for Bama Turkey Hunting  (Read 1143 times)

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
Great Weekend for Bama Turkey Hunting
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »
This past weekend SRHunter and myself went to Pine Apple, AL to stay at SRHunter's brother's camp to turkey hunt. The turkeys were fired up and we had no shortage of gobblers to chase. The land we were hunting is part timber and part working cattle ranch. Looking at their picture board at the camp house you could see they had some really good deer and turkey on this property.

We started off Saturday morning in one of the cattle pastures. At first light the owls started hooting on their own, and that got the gobblers going. We had 3 within ear shot that fired off, with one being real close. We attempted to cross the pasture to get setup on the closest bird that we heard, thinking we could setup on the edge of the wood line. We thought he was roosted further back in the woods, but he ended up being right on the wood line and busted us. I figure he must have had his head turned away from us when he first gobbled, which made him sound a little farther away.

Since we were busted on this bird, we immediately locked on to the next closest gobbler, and he was on fire, gobbling his head off. We got in opening not real far from him, and trying calling a bit, but it sound like he hit the ground and started moving away from us.

So we backed off this bird and went to where we heard the number 3 gobbler, which was in some pines on the back side of the pasture where we started locating from. We got to an old logging road and located again, and this time we had two birds gobble at us. One to our right and one to our left. The bird to the left sounded the closest and seem to be the most active. We setup on a huge oak tree off of the logging road with a decoy in the road. SRHunter's brother was facing the bird we thought would come in first, and I watched our six in case the other tom snuck in on us. SRHunter started calling, and the bird that SRHunter's brother was facing was still hammering down, while the tom I was facing was quiet. After a few minutes we spotted a hen coming from my direction. At first we thought this was a lone hen looking for company. She saw the decoy and was a bit nervous at first, but then kept coming on in. Next we saw another hen, then another hen. At this point I felt sure that a gobbler would not be far behind, and he wasn't. He came in blown up, looking to add another hen to his harem. My gun was up, but the first hen caught me off guard and my gun was not quite to my shoulder. As soon as the last two hens went behind a tree I eased my gun to my should and lined up the gobbler in my sights. I just needed him to take about 3 more steps to clear some brush and a tree, and he obliged and got a load of #5's to the noggin.   First bird of the day was down at 7:50 AM. 1" spurs and 8.5" beard

After a bit of celebration we went back out to a part of the pasture where SRHunter's brother had set up some decoys the night before. We knew there was another tom close so we decided to take a break and give him a chance to get over the shock of that 3.5" 12 ga. shell that he heard pop off. Well after a few minutes of rest and talking about our recent harvest, I decide to get out my calls and get ready to call in a bird for SRHunter or his brother. Before I could scratch off my first note, a lonely tom let out a loud gobble letting us know he wasn't real far away. So I started scratching on my Straight Creek slate call, and he was liking it. It didn't take but just a few minutes and I could see that red, white and blue head working through the timber. He made his way out into the edge of the field and stopped to study the decoys that were setup. He didn't seem to like the setup and we were not real sure what he was about to do. SRHunter brother took the shot which was about 40 yards, but wasn't able to connect. The tom turned and bolted. We look for blood and feather but didn't find either.

We tried a few other spots trying to get on another bird, but the morning was getting late, and the sun was getting hot, so we decided to head back to camp to cool off and get some lunch.

Later in the afternoon we decided to head out and see if we could at least hear some birds go to roost, and maybe luck up and stumble on a gobbler. SRHunter went across the pasture in one direction and myself and SRHunter's brother went in the other. SRHunter picked the right spot. After only 5 or 6 minutes at this spot, he catches the movement of 3 toms about 100 yards to his right. They cross out of range in front of him moving right to left, and cross the opening to his left and go out of sight. His calling seemed to have no effect on them. After losing sight of them he starts to hear another gobbler way out in front of him gobbling. He tries calling to him, but did not have any luck. After a few minutes he catches moving back to his right again, but behind him. It was the same three gobblers he had seen earlier. They had completely circled him and was coming back in from behind him at about 40 yards. As soon as the first gobbler presented a shot, he took it and laid him down right there in his tracks. This was a very nice tom. He was big in size and had one of the longest and thickest beards I have seen. 1' spurs and an 11" thick beard.

The next morning we were bound and determine to get SRHunter's brother a bird. We start near a very open area of mix pines and hardwoods. After several owl hoots we did not hear a thing, so we headed a little further back up the road toward the camp, and did some more locating. We had 3 different birds sound off. Two were definitely off property, and the 3rd never would gobble again to give a good location. So we headed back toward the first spot where we attempted to locate and gave it another try. We immediately got a response and it was close. We were near the top of the hill where the open mixed timber area started and the birds were still on the roast at the bottom. We slipped in very carefully and setup in the first good spot we could find and I started calling. Not long after the birds came off the roost and we could see and hear one gobbler at the bottom just strutting and gobbling back and forth, but he was not moving much in our direction. After a few more minutes we could hear another gobble sound off close to the one we watching, but out of site. This evidently motivated the first gobbler we were watching, and he decided to come check out the hen he was hearing up on the hill. He made his way up the hill on the other side of the clearing until he was about even with us. I gave him one more soft call, and he made a bee line straight to us. Just as he got about in range of SRHunter's brother's gun, he went to right and start to circle our area looking for the hen he had heard. This put him on the other side of fallen tree from SRHunter's brother, and gave him no shot. SRHunter was now positioned with a perfect shot. We waited as long as we could hoping SRHunter's brother would get another clear shot at this bird, but after not finding the hen he was expecting, the gobbler got real nervous, and started putting and was about to leave, so SRHunter went ahead and took the shot. We didn't move, because we knew there were more birds at the bottom of the hill, so we called again, and they kept coming. They got to about where the first bird fell, and the first gobbler evidently had a few more flaps left in him and he went to thrashing around on the ground. This spooked the other birds and sent them putting and scurrying away out of range. While SRHunter's brother was disappointed he didn't get a shot off, he happy for SRHunter's second bird of the weekend. 7/8" spurs and an 8" beard.

It was still early in the morning so we jumped on the cart and headed back to the pasture that we hunted around the day before. We went to the exact location where SRHunter's brother had missed the bird the day before and had a tom gobble within minutes of us being there. We setup and started calling. He was cutting me off on every call I made, but he wasn't getting any closer. So we started closing the distance on him. We would move a bit, then call. Move a bit more, then call. We repeated this over and over, until we eventually found ourselves at the property line. We setup there and tried out best to call him over, but he evidently had something good going for him where he was at. He eventually stopped answering us all together, and we decided to call it a morning. I really hated we were not able to get SRHunter's brother a bird over the weekend, but we all had a blast and saw plenty of turkey action. It was definitely a weekend for the memory books.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Great Weekend for Bama Turkey Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:04:32 AM »
Great stories and what an awesome weekend you guys had!

Congrats to all...good job guys... @--0--0123  @--0--0123  @--0--0123
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:05:43 AM »
Oh yes great weekend for you guys!!
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:06:11 AM »
Great story,  sounds like he has a heck of a place full of turkies.  Good Job   @--0--0118
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
Awesome Bug! Congrats to you and the SRH brothers!
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:55 AM »
Wow soounds like that place is crawling with turkeys. Great job on the birds guys congrats.

Offline NotRite

• 10 Point
  • 5lb-12oz Ky Spot Caught 5-06-12
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »
Great job both with the story and pics! Thanks bug for sharing all that with us. Got my juices flowing I can tell ya that!
BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »

heck yeah you guys had a  really great weekend!

nice story and pics!  @--0--0130
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
Sounds awesome!!!!! We have to wait until April 18th to hunt but they are gobblin everywhere now!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
congrats on a great day! @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
Great stories and great pics, Bug!!!   Y'all really hammered 'em!    Congrats to everyone!!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Cleburne

• 6 Point
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »
Nice pics and stories.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
that's what I would call a weekend to remember.  Congrats!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »
Ya can't beat that...Congrats! @--0--0130 ##$%#11

New Page 3

Google Ad