New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: decoys seem to work, any advise  (Read 2027 times)

Offline shooter

• 2008 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
    • www.theshooters-edge.com
Re: decoys seem to work, any advise
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »
Hollow foam decoys work good for me. If I am hunting from a blind, I set up 2 hens with a jake just behind one of the hens. Works all the time. If I am going to be running and gunning, I take 1 hen. I find that a decoy is apt to capture the Tom's attention and take his focus away from you. I have shot Turkeys without decoys but they were keyed right in on me and made it much tougher for me to get the shot.   @--0--0133
One does not hunt to kill, One kills to have hunted.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Webb River Valley Sportsman's Club
Rumford Rifle & Pistol Club
Pine Tree State Rifle & Pistol Assoc.

Offline Turkey_Addict

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
I have tried a little of everything. I have both the Pretty Boy and Bmobile. I dont prefer one over the other. Both have worked well.
If I am hunting an area with a boss tom and some subdominate toms, I like to use one of the above. The big boy will almost always come in to run my decoy off.
If you don't really know what kind of birds you may encounter, which is often the case, I use a jake and two hens. I like to put one hen with the jake and one hen decoy to my opposite side about 30 or so yards away. I have used this set up with success many times. I hunt field birds a lot. The three birds set up keeps the toms a little confused in my opinion. He doesnt know whether the fight the jake or try to breed the single hen. I have had mature birds run off when they have seen the jake decoy. The extra hen gives them an option of fighting or falling in love.

As stated earlier, the full strut decoys are a pain to pack. I use them on a limited basis and when I have watched the birds for weeks before season opens. I try to study their interactions with each other. I always hope to see one whipping the rest of the flock. If so, full strut decoy. If they all seem to jive, a jake and two hens.

Other than the full strut decoys, I use foam decoys.  @--0--0101

Offline boss beard 1

• Prize Winner
  • Spike
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »
I used the pretty boy and pretty girl set up and just like western ky hunter the birds seemed scared and would not come in. I used a real full fan with the pretty boy but have heard from others to use a jake fan this seems to bring the big gobblers in closer, also heard that putting some baby oil on the decoys to make them shine a little works also, but i am not sure i have not tried that method.
I do my grocery shopping in the woods

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »
You can use skins on the hen they work . yes a jake fan is different from a tom's ( the center feathers ) .  @--0--0109
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »

i hear they can work!! let us know what you do and what happins!!!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »
I use a single hen decoy, sometimes two.  I quit using jake decoys as I had more hang ups with them it seemed.  My theory is that there are so many stinking turkeys around here that the toms have no interest in competition for the hens....there are plenty enough to go around...and the presence of a jake results in them heading to the next hen.

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 05:05:53 PM »
use two freshly painted hens and half strut jake which makes the big tom's come in cautiously when alone or running in when there's a dominant tom with two satellite toms etc.

late in the season use a single hen or none at all and get in the thick stuff to lessen a big tom's ease of approach, call little and wait 30" before calling a short sequence again.
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline swampdog

• Spike
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
I try to put the turkeys to bed the day before so I can get in the woods and set up before day light the next morning . Make sure you know how to get back to the same spot in the dark! TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO USE A LIGHT BECAUSE THEY WILL SEE YOU  and fly down and go the other way or they will wait until they locate a hen and fly down on or with her. You may not get a chance to pull him off her once he has her.

good luck swampdog

Offline t-hunter

• Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
Try the preaty boy and preaty girl decoys i have a pair and the toms try to tear them up. They dont pay any atentition to anything else. We had a big tom right at fisrt light run about 6inches from me and went straight to the decoy. The biggest and last mistake he ever made.

Offline uga fan 28

• Spike
  • BIG NICK
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
they ork different in different places it depends on the birds dominence i think!!!
GOD BLESS!!! 

pease to the head!!!!

Offline traveling man

• Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
We use the pretty boy we have two. We set them up on the edge of the field, we was in a double bull blind, hit the Gobble call and the turkey came a running across the field to fight. It was a sight. t-hunter hammered him. That was last year. This year t-hunter was working a turkey and could not get it to cross the field. We set up the Pretty Boy, later the Tom came back, t-hunter started working him, when the Tom saw the decoy it came in fast. T-hunter shot his biggest turkey, was a little over 24 pounds, the pic was up at Uncle Lee's. We use a real turkey fan, don't know if that makes a difference or not. We have used it in the fall archery, hens and jakes came to the pretty boy but the Toms kept their distance. Hammer almost got him one, with his bow.
2009 Talk Hunting Shed Champion-Individual/Team
Hadi Shrine-Hospital Staff-Evansville, IN
Indiana Free Mason
Youth Baseball and Basketball coach
AAPL- Professional Landman
35 years of hunting

Offline woodsman1977

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »
Along the same lines as the pretty boy/girl decoys, I use the primos "B" mobile and she mobile. There is the option to use real turkey fan feathers and I would say this is a must, also I replaced the artificial beard with a real one and trimmed it to look like a strutting jake. I have had terrific success with more than one mature gobbler run to confront the jake, the she mobile is in the breeding position so that is a plus too.
Hunt safe, Hunt smart.....be alive to hunt tomorrow

New Page 3

Google Ad