New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: How Many Trad Archers Here?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline stickbowman

• Fawn
Re: How Many Trad Archers Here?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
I switched to total traditional last year, before that was shooting with the compound and recurve but never took the recurve seriously until last season. 

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 11:34:26 AM »
I may need to get a not so expensive recurve and hunt in a Traditional Only Hunting area in McAlester.  They have taken a lot of nice bucks over the years and it's not pressured until the drawn only hunts.                                %^$^
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
I've switched back and forth between trad and a compound for may years.   Now I incorporate a xbow into the mix to work around some shoulder issues.    I still shoot the longbows when I can.  I've got several recurves and longbows still hanging on the rack.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
I started with longbows and the old grass round target butts when I was a kid at the local summer activities center, been with longbows and recurves ever since.

I bought a Hoyt Ram Hunter set at about 50 lbs and never had any luck with it.  I played with sights, I played with arrow rests, I played with gloves, tabs and lately releases, but still can't get consistent with it.  Too much stress and equipment!!  I pull it out every year, get frustrated, and go to my longbows.

I now practice form with a Black Rhino 28lb longbow.  I hunt with my Bighorn Bowhunting longbow at 42lbs at my 25" drawlenght and love it.

In my youth I could pull my 60lb Martin takedown recurve and split knocks.  Not that strong anymore and find I don't need 60 lbs to kill a deer.

I've read all of G. Fred Asbell's books, Instinctive shooting, Instinctive shooting II, Advanced Instinctive shooting, the story for the rest of us and his great ground hunting book.  I highly recommend all of them for the information on how you shoot and how to shoot longbows and recurves.  Also, highly entertaining.

I may have posted this in the past, but the absolute BEST VACATION I've ever had was spending one week with G. Fred Asbell at his joint shooting clinic with Black Widow Bows in Mo.  He and the master bow builder Ken Beck were the absolute greatest instructors one could ever have. 

Anyone who has a chance to do this clinic should treat themselves to it.  The food was also fantastic (can't get good cornbread here in NY) and you get to shoot all the Black Widow bows.

My next two bows will be a black widow ken beck recurve and a take down PSL or PSR longbow or recurve. ('tho Everyone was highly impressed how quiet my bighorn longbow was and Mr. Asbell even recognized it as one he built!!).

So yeah, I guess I am a traditional bow shooter on this forum.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad