New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: How Many Trad Archers Here?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
How Many Trad Archers Here?
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
I'm new here, and have been a traditional shooter now for the past 8 years. I didn't intend to completely stop shooting my compounds when I started trad again (I started bowhunting in 1968, and "trad" was all there was), it just sort of happened that way!

I have several recurves, and the one I hunt with most of the time is a Bear Super Kodiak #55.

I also do a lot of roving or "stump shooting" with judo point arrows and that's almost as much fun as hunting!  I try to get to one or two 3-D shoots a month during the spring and summer also. I have a group of shooting buddies and we'll meet for breakfast and then go shoot. Lot's cheaper than golf! (And more fun!!)

My next project is to build a mechanical target disc thrower so that I can do some aerial shooting.
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: How Many Trad Archers Here?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »
I started bowhunting back in '66.  I used a 35# recurve, and eventually purchased a Bear Grizzly in 45#.  I shot bare bow, and I was never very good with it.  Left eye dominant, right hand shooter.  I eventually went to a compound, using a front pin sight and a string peep sight.  My accuracy improved tremendously.  I eventually sorta lost interest due to lack of time, etc.  I still have all my bow stuff, fletcher, feather burner, etc.  Had problems once with plastic fletching, so I took it off and put feathers on.  Feathers are much more forgiving.  It was cheaper and easier going that route, instead of trying different arrow rests, etc.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
sorry, i switched 30 years ago and don't plan on going back
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »
Nothing like "old school"!!     I want to get back into it when I'm able.      Shot longbows and recurves for many years.      There's a gentleman that lives about 45 miles east of here that builds custom bow, recurves, and I want him to build my next new one.      I've shot some of his before and he does some super work!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
I started out on a traditional recurve. An old York that a mentor of mine had given me when I was maybe 10. I went to compound after a year or two of hunting though and haven't gone back. Thought about it for fun sometimes, but I do like hunting with my compound a lot.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:17:42 PM »

I dable in it not a full time thing i have a 40# recurve that i shoot around with ...

not saying i might try it even more down the road!  @--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline 100rollie

• Fawn
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
Trad here . Switched over in 1985. Yes "stumping" with the family,or friends is the BOMB!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
Is this the same Woods Walker from the Deer and Deer Hunting forum? Regardless welcome to the forum!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Billythekid

• Button Buck
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
I,m a DIY kinda guy so I built a custom recurve. Finished it on a Friday, shot it in on Saturday morning and took a bear with it on Saturday evening. Called a friend to help me get the bear out and he fell in love with the bow. What can I say. I gave him the bow. That was the third one I finished. Each of my boys have one of my customs. So now I,m back to my compounds till I get time to build another one for me. Not much in this world as pretty as a well made recurve or long bow. WELL maybe the Swedish bikini team!

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 06:17:55 AM »
Is this the same Woods Walker from the Deer and Deer Hunting forum? Regardless welcome to the forum!

The same!  msbadger got me over here.
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
My first real bow was a 45# Bear Kodiak recurve , loved it for years and hunted with it .  @--0--0118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 07:16:52 AM »
I,m a DIY kinda guy so I built a custom recurve. Finished it on a Friday, shot it in on Saturday morning and took a bear with it on Saturday evening. Called a friend to help me get the bear out and he fell in love with the bow. What can I say. I gave him the bow. That was the third one I finished. Each of my boys have one of my customs. So now I,m back to my compounds till I get time to build another one for me. Not much in this world as pretty as a well made recurve or long bow. WELL maybe the Swedish bikini team!

Well come on Billy.....you gotta post PICS with your post!   ##$%#1114
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

Offline Bow man

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 10:13:42 AM »
My wife and I have a passion for Trad bows have shot nothing else for a few years. and our love them brought to own a Trad archery Company

www.stjoeriverbows.com

St. Joe River Longbow 50.@28  62"
Muzzy Phantoms SS
www.stjoeriverbows.com
A-Way Hunting Products Pro staff member  www.awayhunting.com

Offline rvrbnk1

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
  • Exceed The Norm
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »
I bought a  recurve PSE Mustang about a year ago because I wanted to get back into archery shooting and bow hunting and didnt want to spend much money in case i didnt like shooting a bow.  Well I fell back in love with archery and now my  recurve will be my tool of choice for most of my hunting this year starting out with Small Game season.  The more I shoot my bow the more I love traditional archery.  i may buy a long bow next
NRA member
Up North Journal - Team member
www.upnorthjournal.com
22 years of experience and still learning

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
We have a traditional bow only hunt here in McAlester, OK.
They have taken nice bucks from there!   %^$^    %^$^
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

New Page 3

Google Ad