New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Crossbow Target  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Crossbow Target
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »
Might be a foolish quesiton but do you need a special target to shoot crossbows at? Both practice or 3-D? Thanks!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Crossbow Target
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:56:10 AM »
Although they make them I have always used my archery targets.  If you use a 3-D be sure to have it firmly secured.  I knocks mine over when I shot it from close range the first time.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:57:21 AM »
Another question (I just bought this used crossbow from my ex-father-in-law) can you use any scope on it?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Tattooed Hunter

• 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:17:01 AM »
How old is the crossbow?  You may prefer to use on by that same manufacturer as the bow but now most crossbows are firing 300+ FPS and the accuracy is dead on.  On an older crossbow, it may not be firing as quick and causing the bolt to drop faster and therefore may not work well with a newer scope.
A bad day hunting is better than a good day working.

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
Check out the American Whitetail Inc. website!!   They have some great targets!!     
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
Although they make them I have always used my archery targets.  If you use a 3-D be sure to have it firmly secured.  I knocks mine over when I shot it from close range the first time.
Ditto!! My 3d target works just fine with the crossbow , but it sure takes a beating!! @--0--0101
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »

they do make crossbow scopes just for them!

i use my reg target for my crossbow does ok...
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Lizette

• Spike
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
Well, targets lacking the backdrop of a hillside or rise in the ground also need a 20-yard safety zone behind the target base.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
Most targets will hold up ok, but the impact will be a little heavier, so you have to be prepared to tear it up faster or knock it over a lot like BP said. As long as you can mount the scope to it you can use it, but you want to consider there is a lot of "snap" and vibration it will take. But I don't think the jolt would be any worse than a typical rifle so shouldn't beat the scope up bad. I would think an inexpensive red dot or fixed 4 power would work well on an older CB just fine.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline Tbear

• Spike
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »
I agree, most targets will hold up to the riggors of crossbow shooting but I would suggest that you pay a little extra and get the layered fiber targets instead of the styrefoam types. They last longer and the bolt penetration is good but won't damage the fletches or feathers with penetration. As far as a scope if your eyes are good or your prescription glasses are right might I suggest an Aimpoint or Red Dot instead of a scope.  Both of these will give you a little red dot (internally) to put on your target and are very accurate and easy to set up and use. Benefits are they add very little weight to you crossbow. They also allow you to leave both eyes open when shooting, THIS IS GOOD FOR THE AFTER THE SHOT MOMENT. Also they will not magnify the target which will give you a better idea of shot placement and will keep you in check with the distances that you attemp to shoot. Some think it is okay to take longer shots because they have a crossbow with a scope but the ethical thing to do when bow or crossbow hunting is to get as close as possible to your target.

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »
most any target will work, however like "they" said those not designed for it will get tore up pretty quick...and the arrows might be harder to pull out of them...scopes on the other hand are not one size fits all...rifle scopes are designed to absorb rearward forces...crossbows like any bow exert a forward force...and need a scope designed for that type of force...the red dot types are sometimes labled for CB use or just get one that is designed specifically for the CB...save ya a bunch of head aches in the long run...trust me on this...been there done that, ruined a very nice rifle scope...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »
any good archery target should work, but get a scope made for a crossbow. A regular rifle scope will not hold up well
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

New Page 3

Google Ad