New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Wind Direction  (Read 798 times)

Offline 7Day_Archer

• 6 Point
  • All I need is God, my Family & 1 chance
    • facebook
Wind Direction
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »
 ##$%#116 %^$^
As most of you know, I am hunting the second Archery season for the first time. And I appreciated all of your feedback. With the info yinz provided along with the website I found, I have decided to hunt the edge of a cornfield. As an Archery hunter like everyone else here, I understand how CRITICAL Wind Direction is. I have found a website that gives you the predominate wind directions by the hour for the next 3 days. I think I owe it to all yinz to share it. The site is www.usairnet.com Unbelievable for determining where you plan on hunting! Check it out, tell me what yinz think! Have fun, be safe and God Bless!
 ##$%#116 %^$^
We're a Steelers family!6X!
Avid hunter; current student
Vets4Vets NAHC NRA NWTF
Once a Marine, Always a Marine! I am trained to kill, now it's just critters n stuff.
Mathews Z7, Easton Axis ST, Rage 2-100
Savage .270, Trophy bonded bear claws-140 gn, Hunter Safety Sys
Talkin bout stick n string Man

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Wind Direction
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »
I am big on Wind Direction and depend on it. I use the Weather Channel's Smartphone App (on my iPad) to get wind direction and email the weather by the hour to myself.
On the day of the Hunt I can even break it down to 15 min Increments... I locate the nearest town that feeds info to the weather channel in my case it's Weogufka, AL (35183). Weather Underground is another very good one and now has Weather Apps that feed data off of the Weather station's that are local to the area you hunt.
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
Re: Wind Direction
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »
i use 'scoutlookweather' and they are bad. wrong over 1/2 the time. i'll check this out. thx
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
I use the weatherbug app for my smartphone, gives wind speed, direction, and temp hourly for a couple days out, and full 7 day forcast, just as accurate as weather man, and I know, I work with the weather man.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
I use weatherbug also.   Pretty accurate, but I'll check out this other one, too!   Thanks, 7 Day!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
Thanks for the link and good luck with your late season hunt.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »
   I live 30 miles from my cabin and some times the wind is different at the cabin then it was when I left home. I have a wireless wind gauge at the cabin that I refer to when there.  I also allways use a powder wind checker.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
Here in the hills of southern Indiana, the wind may be out of the south but it twists and turns thru these hills so you have to play it by ear.
Thanks for the info!! @--0--0101 on your hunt!
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
I look at where the powder from my squeeze bottle goes, and then the uraveled ends of the dental floss I have tied to the top and bottom limbs of my bow. I stillhunt most of the time, so I'm in a constant state of wind or ground current change.

I've worked outdoors my whole life, and having a "weather sense" is something I acquired along the way. Things like cloud types, humidity levels and even barometric pressure changes I've learned to be aware of without thinking about it.  If I depended on the weatherman for accurate weather info I'd of been dead a long time ago!!!   ;D
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 05:28:22 AM »

Thanks for the link !

@--0--0101 and be safe!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:46:01 AM »
good upto date info, but electronics are generally not part of my hunting gear (exception Cell phone) I also still hunt...and knowing the lay of the land time of the hunt I have learned (over many years) to trust my senses...with the exception of hilly country and even that in general, you have predominate wind patterns...ie normally out of the west for us...shifting as you move to different terrain throughout the day...mornings with bright sun shine winds tend to move up hills...(heat rises) etc.
Seems that we can often get over gadgitized and depend on other folks technology that many oft miss or let slack the real skills of hunting...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

New Page 3

Google Ad