New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Sneskas 2012  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Sneska

• 6 Point
Sneskas 2012
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »
I pulled a camera today that had batteries in since gun season and it still worked! The 5x5 that I was after made it through rifle and muzzleloader so now to make it through late archery. Keeping fingers crossed. Hope to find the sheds.

I noticed that someone had dragged a plastic toboggan there recently. They stopped dragging it about twenty yards beyond where the driveable road turns to a closed two track. I followed the tracks for about 60 feet they then stopped and turned back. Tracks of various sizes in several directions.
I was concerned and scouting for blood or bait pile thinking that someone else was after the ten in there.

After some tracking I came to the evidence. A balsam fir stump! Someone was hunting for a Christmas tree
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:46:56 PM by Sneska »

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
Re: Sneskas 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
i'd trade 10 firs for one 5x5 about now sneska.  find that food source and get him.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
in the national forest? not that there aren't enough trees, but breaking the law is breaking the law. too bad

send a pic of the 5x5 when you get a chance
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Sneska

• 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
I went back to the post and did spell check so it makes sense now.

I would go after the buck only thing is that my tag is filled so I am hoping to go after him next season.

Also, it is legal to take Balsam Fir for Christmas trees. A permit is required and cannot verify if the guy had one. But then he only took one tree and with the size of the tracks he had the kids along. A great family time. Agree that he should have had the permit but who knows. Times like these maybe even the permit fee might be hard on the family.
If it looked like someone cutting a bunch and selling that would be a different story.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »
I went back to the post and did spell check so it makes sense now.

I would go after the buck only thing is that my tag is filled so I am hoping to go after him next season.

Also, it is legal to take Balsam Fir for Christmas trees. A permit is required and cannot verify if the guy had one. But then he only took one tree and with the size of the tracks he had the kids along. A great family time. Agree that he should have had the permit but who knows. Times like these maybe even the permit fee might be hard on the family.
If it looked like someone cutting a bunch and selling that would be a different story.

Agreed. i didn't even know you could get a permit. i know you can get a permit to bough cut, and that makes a terrible mess if you ask me. there are several areas i won't even walk anymore because the bough cutters made it just ugly. thx i learned something today
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »

nice to hear he made ...

to bad for the Balsm fir ....
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Sneska

• 6 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
I agree about the bough cutting. A lot of mess with the folks that bough cut. Too Much garbage left behind and even some fires started by them.
When I retire I will speak more.

Balsam fir are like a weed species though. They come in fast so if there is some disturbance in the area thet come back fast.
I like them for cover for ground blinds and background cover for tree stands though.

Offline mooreman

• Spike
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »
Well hopefully your buck is even bigger next year

Sent from my HTC Panache using Tapatalk

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
Good luck with that big one next season!! @--0--0101