New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Viking1204's Hunting Journal 2011-2012  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
Viking1204's Hunting Journal 2011-2012
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
Ok, my trip to NY this year was the first chance I had to hunt.  Below is a summary of my days in NY!

Friday (11-18-11)  Arrived in NY and went to Geneseo to buy my Non-Resident Hunting License, cost was $140.  Was amazed to have to wait in line over 45 minutes at Walmart to buy my License, apparently everyone in NY waits until the last day before the season starts to buy their License!

Saturday (11-19-11) & Sunday (11-20-11)  Hunted all day both days.  Sat in a double ladder stand overlooking a ravine and a bean field.  Lots of sign around the stand included a huge rub not 10 yards from the stand.  Had several hunters walk within 50 yards of me while sitting on stand apparently driving deer. Over the two days saw three Does walk across the bean field at about 140 yards, a little out of my comfortable range with a new 20 ga. shotgun.  On Sunday afternoon I did decide to participate in one of the deer drives.  We managed to push some deer out of a ravine but couldn't take a shot due to the direction the deer ran near the house and barn, just not a safe shot.  0 Deer Killed

Monday (11-21-11)  Took day off from hunting and went to Rochester, NY, did some shopping at Gander Mountain and Dick's Sporting Goods.  0 Deer Killed

Tueday (11-22-11)  Sat overlooking the same ravine from the Monday and Tuesday but about 200 yards down range from the ladder stand.  This was an area you could tell deer crossed to reach the cover on the other side of the ravine.  All was good until about 10 am when the shooting started.  Back towards the direction where the ladder stand was several shots rang out over about a 10 minute period.  I counted at least 7 or 8 shots and figured hunting there was shot for a while so started to walk back towards my truck.  On the way came across a young hunter who had spine shot a spike buck from the ladder stand I was in on Saturday and Sunday.  The 7 or 8 shots I heard were his Dad and Uncle trying to put a kill shot on the Spike Buck from about 75 yards with 12 ga. shotguns.  They had managed to shoot off one of the Spike's front legs and finally killed him with a neck shot.  This is when I realized hunting in this part of NY was done a little different than I was used to!  I left to find a better spot to hunt in.

Later Tuesday I moved to a homemade stand in an Oak Tree and hunted a spot along another ravine where the ravine split a bean and hay field, seem like a good spot.  Sat there till dark and saw just one Doe go across the bean field out of range.  0 Deer Killed

Wednesday (11-23-11)   Sat in the same homemade stand in the Oak Tree under the cover of an umbrella and rain gear as it rained all morning.  Saw one Doe go across the bean field in the other direction from the day before but still out of range.  Decided at lunch time when the rain had quit that I wanted to try the spot where on the first day a guy had shot an 8 point Buck. 

Wednesday Cont.  Sat in a ladder stand in the afternoon at the intersection of the ravine, been field, hay field and some thickets that served as cover for the deer.  Didn't see any deer.  0 Deer Killed

Thursday (11-24-11)  Hunted in the morning in the same ladder stand and saw two Does run behind me like their tails were on fire.  Tried a fawn bleat using my mouth and got one to stop but couldn't get turned around for shot before she stepped into thick cover.  It was Thanksgiving so didn't hunt the afternoon, enjoyed some good eats and drinks!  0 Deer Killed   

Despite not killing any deer in NY I had a good time and learned of a new way to deer hunt than I was used to!  This weekend it's off to Alabama and see if I have any better luck!   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:49:48 AM by Viking1204 »
Air Force Veteran

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
Re: Viking1204's Hunting Journal 2011-2012
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »

always good to get out and maybe not the outcome you wanted but you did get out and good luck in Alabama! @--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
Yes, its amazing how many people wait until the last minute to buy a license. Sounds like you had a good experience. Good luck hunting in Alabama. Roll Tide Roll!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
Hope you have better luck in 'Bama, Viking.     The best is yet to come over there!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
OK, leaving work to pack the truck and head North to Bama!  Hopefully I'll have something good to report back here on Monday! 
Air Force Veteran

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
OK, leaving work to pack the truck and head North to Bama!  Hopefully I'll have something good to report back here on Monday!

good luck and be safe!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
bet i will be better then nys as far as gun shot sounds
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
Ok, once again finally getting back to the woods! Leaving Friday to trying and get Anthony his first deer, will report back on Monday this time. Plan to hunt alot the rest of the season so hopefully I'll have several updates with some kills to report soon!
Air Force Veteran

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »
Best of luck, Vike!!    Be safe and have fun!!! 
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »
Enough of this warm weather already. Our hunting trip this weekend was a bust at trying to get Anthony his first deer again. Seems the warm weather and full moon have the deer moving mostly at night. I put Anthony in my shooting house that overlooks two nice green fields with the green light to shoot anything but yearlings. I sat in the woods about 100 yards away where I could see the shooting house but also see if anything was trying to sneak between the creek and the green fields and neither of us saw anything hunting all day Saturday and half a day on Sunday. I feel bad for Anthony, we've tried so hard to get him his first deer and it's like we just can't get the skunk off him. I'll be going up again this weekend without Anthony this time, can't take him out of too much school especially when he's got all A's this semester!
Air Force Veteran

Offline sc

• 4 Point
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »
Crongrats on Anthony's all A's. Maybe a note from dad about a special trip or being out of town with a make-up work schedule for night time hunt camp. Just a thought.
I understand the grades are important! My boy is currently a knob at The Citadel, he was #3 in his high school class.
By the way pup growing like a weed. Take care!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
SC if it wasn't the end of the semester I would do it but he's making up work now from our last trip. I don't want to put too much pressure on him. We still have at least one more good chance at getting him his first. It took 3 years of trying but he finally was selected to participate in a Youth Quota Hunt on the Eglin AFB Reservation near where we live Feb. 11 & 12. It's a guided Youth hunt where they put you in a Closed area on the Reservation where hunting is not allowed the rest of the year. I've heard a lot good things about this hunt so with any luck Anthony will score then!
Air Force Veteran

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
That sounds great, Vike!!   We'll be hoping and praying for Anthony's success!!!         --09--0   
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »
That sounds great, Vike!!   We'll be hoping and praying for Anthony's success!!!         --09--0   

Thank you, Anthony will appreciate that! I have about an hour and a half of work left and then I'll be heading North to hunt this afternoon through the Morning on Monday, hopefully I'll have something exciting to report when I return!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
Ok, shutting the laptop down and heading North! Good luck to everyone else hunting this weekend!
Air Force Veteran

New Page 3

Google Ad