New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Safety Harness  (Read 2086 times)

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Take a kid hunting and you take one off the street
Re: Safety Harness
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »
I also use the transformer and love it.  It was $80 in Cabellas and I got it from sportsmans warehouse for $25.  I didnt like the rope that came with it, so I called Loggy and they sent me 2 belts free.  They stopped making the rope tree line half way through the production year because of so many complaints.  I haven't felt any restriction for shooting at all with this sys.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:05:52 PM by BubbaBrown »
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

Offline wibowhntr

• Button Buck
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 05:30:32 AM »
I actually just picked up a Loggy Bayou Transformer yesterday.  Scheels in our area has them on sale for 49.99.  I wouldn't be caught dead up in a stand without some type of harness on.

Offline bigrod357

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 03:44:25 AM »
Just got a Hunter safety system last year after my brother inlaw fell about 6 feet coming down out of his stand and broke his ankle.  Easy to put on and pretty comfortable also.  Better safe than sorry.
Nature does nothing uselessly

Offline NJ Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »
We make it a rule in our club.  If you are in a tree. You need to be tied in somehow.  I believe that this year we will install a rope and prussic knot to each stand just for this use.  Do I use one with my climber.  You bet your bippie I do.  I had a fellow bring his son to our state hunter safety course for archery. He was driving a handy cap equipped van and sitting in a wheel chair because he stepped off a tree stand trying to take a big buck. In the heat of the moment you will do some very STUPID things.  Non intentional, but STUPID just the same.  Just think about how his life changed that day. Never to be in a tree again at sunrise or sunset. Never mind not being able to do it with his son or daughter. I just can imagine...  We all have somemany marbles in a jar when we start life and we take a marble out each time we make a stupid move.  When you are at the bottom of a tree you are about to climb into this year .  Think about how many marbles you might have left to play with.  Remember your mother asking you as a child.  HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MARBLES......
If you must be somewhere.  Be Out There in the woods.

Hunting more years than I care to count or admit too.

NJ Hunter Ed Instructor
NRA Life
NAHC Life
10 yr Cancer Survivor
Proud Father of 2006 Miss New Jersey

Offline Bow man

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 07:01:47 AM »
I use the hunter safety system as well But what ever any one uses use some sort of devise to catch you when climbing in and out of your stand!  My wife fell 12 ft 10 years ago from her stand as she was climbing out she broke some ribs and had a concussion and it ended her hunting season. Most falls happen at this time!

Has anyone used the Fall Guy restraint I was thinking of trying one this year.
St. Joe River Longbow 50.@28  62"
Muzzy Phantoms SS
www.stjoeriverbows.com
A-Way Hunting Products Pro staff member  www.awayhunting.com

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 11:30:50 AM »
Hunting safety is the same as work safety. I've had to threaten to fire people because they didn't have safety rails or weren't tied off to a safety line. I was told that "I've been doing this for twenty years and haven't fallen". He should have followed the statement with "yet".
I find as I get older, that I'm not quite as spry as I use to be. My sense of balance is not as good. I take blood pressure medication. Makes good sense to wear the safety harness. If you don't care about yourself, care about your family and what your loss would mean to them!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:40:27 PM by NJ Bowhunter »
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline hiredgun

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
Hey guys,

Do any of you know of a safety harness that has been set up or designed for the hunter that faces the tree?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline Bamaboy2014

• Spike
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
no i havent but i would like to know
Roll Tide

Offline Tumlin_Tumbleweed

• 2008 Sept. Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
Being aloft was part of my job with the phone company, installing phones in houses and apartments. In my first 6 months on the job, I had went to climbing school, passed and was on the job, still leery of climbing. When I finally started trusting my safety equipment, I was on a "stepped pole", about 18 to 20 feet up, my safety strap was in place but I was still holding on with one arm and working with the other. As luck would have it, some one called the number I was installing in a construction trailer. When the ringing voltage surprised me, I threw both hands up above my head, like I said, my safety strap was in place and I did not go any where. Safety equipment works, when worn, and the user has confidence in his/her equipment. I have and use the Hunter Safety System. Using it while facing the tree is like being left handed, which I am, I have learned to adapt. Be creative, and you may be able to use the strap coming off the tree as a shooting aid. Hunt safe today and not sorry tomorrow. Safe and happy hunting.
Bell South 32 Yrs (Retired)
Staff Sgt  USMCR 20 Yrs,
Sgt ANG  4 Yrs (Retired)
Blue Lodge (29 Yrs)
Zamora Shrine (29 Yrs)
NRA Member

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • All it Takes is a Tree Stand and a Dream !!
    • Raleigh, NC  Area Homes
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »
I have the Hunter Safety system and really like the security it gives me plus the ease of use.  Those harness systems aren't bad bad I had to label each strap so I knew where they went, especially if they got tangled up. And they were always difficult to get on in the dark of morning.

Does anyone wear any camo over their  system?  I purchased a leafy mesh set from Basspro and was trying to figure out a way to wear it over the harness without cutting a hole for the strap.
Hunting for more than 40 years now
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

Offline COONBUTT

• 2008 Aug. Prize Winner
  • Button Buck
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »
Hard to beat safety systems

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
I'd cut the hole 54, and have someone stitch around it to keep it from tearing or unraveling. I wear a orange vest with a hood during gun season on cool mornings. I cut a hole at the base of the hood for the strap.
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

New Page 3

Google Ad