New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: ildnr checking your trail cams  (Read 994 times)

Offline weberj62

• 4 Point
ildnr checking your trail cams
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
so here in il i have herd stories of the dnr doing night fly to watch for flash from trail cams then marking them with gps.  going in to the area locating them and checking for salt block and other illegal item.  mostly in pike county.  my questions would be is it legal for them to do this.

saw the ticket a guy showed me at the bar. 

one can they mess with the cam.
two can they come on to the property to check it with just a night flyover?

o and i know i cant arrest someone for illegel activety by going on there propert y and seeing them gets thrown out in are county.
any thoughts
respect my authority!!!!

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: ildnr checking your trail cams
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
That is a sticky question, Virginia isn't even thinking of anything like that but they do love the trail cameras to help convict trespassers.

Virginia DNR has the right to enter your house without a search warrant and inspect what is in your freezer and take it id they wish.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
Another reason to us IR cameras, just a thought
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline jovado105

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
That is a sticky question, Virginia isn't even thinking of anything like that but they do love the trail cameras to help convict trespassers.

Virginia DNR has the right to enter your house without a search warrant and inspect what is in your freezer and take it id they wish.

I would assume they can go check cameras as they wish.  As far as writing tickets/summons/arrests all they need is Probable Cause (more likely than not that criminal activity is taking place). Will it hold up in court?  Depends on the judge and county. 
Thats at least my training and experience in the police world.  DNR and EPA know the case law that specifically applies to their jobs specifically so its hard to say exactly what they are working with. I don't deal with it much in the hood and big city.

Offline BubbaBrown

• Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
Game wardens have more jurisdiction than most police agencies. Anyone can fly over you property and take pictures, your air space belongs to everyone (government). I'm surprised that they have enough money to do that in this economy.
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline dennis engeman

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
At my house NO ONE will come in univited or without a legal warrant .That is the same as a home invasion,I will protect my home and family ,with deadly force.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
That's pretty sneaky flying over and GPSing the flashes as they fly by, and coming later to check out the area. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:08:08 AM »
From what I understand if they have a suspision they could walk into your house and check your freezer. I think they have way to much power.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Possum

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:49:58 AM »
Another reason to us IR cameras, just a thought

Gutshot IR camera's put off a Flash just as bright if not brighter then a regular Flash Camera... Now the IR Flash is not viseable to the naked eye but look at a IR Camera going off through a monocular scope it is bright...
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »

i can't see Michigan doing this with the  budget crisis going on with the DNR
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 06:54:24 AM »
Yeah the DNR here has more authority than the local law enforcement agencys. That is a fairly sneaky way for them to do that, thats for sure. But being in that particular county that is such a hotbed for paid deer hunts, do you not think that the outfitters (and Im not saying any or all of them) are using all the tools available to lure and keep big deer on the leases that they control. I know it sounds sneaky, but if your playing the game right then you have nothing to worry about.

Offline Big Jake

• 10 Point
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »
At my house NO ONE will come in univited or without a legal warrant .That is the same as a home invasion,I will protect my home and family ,with deadly force.

They can't come in your house without a warrant here in MO.  4th Amendment still applies.  @--0--0123

Offline Big Jake

• 10 Point
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:51 AM »
Here in Missouri the Department of Conservation does fly over looking for bait.  They do it during daylight as far as I know.  Pretty sure I saw them doing it last Saturday.  Flying low and slow.  My hunting partner and I texted each other at the same time that we thought that was what it was.

Offline bobow

• 4 Point
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
I find it amazing with this economy that something like this is going on.  With that said, I have to wonder how grounded in reality this report is.  ???
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member NRA
Life Member ISRA
Member CCRA

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Here in RI DEM hasgovening athorit t go on esonal property as long as there is jut intent. Seeing flashes and considering them possible baiting sites would probaly be enough in this state. I don't see them messing with the camera though unless they actually find bait at the site.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

New Page 3

Google Ad