New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Alabama Rut Observations  (Read 17616 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: Alabama Rut Observations
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
Zlong where's your final report on the rut in your area, I'm guessing by now it has come and gone!

It's going on right now actually... This weather has it delayed nearly a month! I seen a good three year old chasing a doe hard Saturday and before it was said and done, five more bucks come down the same trail, head down, on a mission to find her. Saturday evening seen a small 8 chasing a doe and within 300 yards another small 8 chasing another doe and two small bucks would join in before the dark hit. Sunday saw 5 bucks all cruising and grunting.  Then this weather hit and I'm sure will push doe movement to night time and the bucks will follow... I'm one away from taggin out and it don't look to promising for me.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
Z I have yet to see a buck bigger than a spike....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Z I have yet to see a buck bigger than a spike....

This last week it has slacked off... I only seen does over the weekend... of course our place was flooded out three days ago.
Dad seen a good one right at dark yesterday but couldn't tell exactly what he was so he opted not to shoot him.

Maybe this cold front will put them on their feet this coming week. You need to check out that Penn State survey on the rut... It shows Alabama with about 4 different time frames!
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
I will be hunting every day from Wed. through Sunday
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »
Absolutely no sign of the rut in Conecuh County yet. Hunted this past Friday through Monday and didn't see a single deer much less anything else besides squirrels and birds! Pictures showed Buck's still hanging in groups of 3 or more and no pics with Bucks and Does together. As usual our rut will kickoff in late January and run into mid February.
Air Force Veteran

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »
Lawrence County last week had a 4 & 6 pt chasing a yearling doe....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2016, 01:26:54 PM »
Lawrence County last week had a 4 & 6 pt chasing a yearling doe....

No surprise that's in the Northern portion of the state! Those of us in Zone B still have some waiting to do, we'll see how things have progressed this weekend, packing up to leave for hunting trip to Conecuh County in about 2 hours or so.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2016, 11:06:50 AM »
Through Jan. 11th still no sign of the rut in Northern Conecuh County, Bucks still running together and Does seen without a Buck in sight. Only a couple of small scrapes seen, will see what it looks like next weekend. I suspect there will be some more scraping going on and Bucks might be running solo by then, let's hope so!
Air Force Veteran

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
Last weekend in Lawrence County had several new rubs show up, bucks on the heels of does nose to the ground... I am passing on anything less than three years old.  My son did take a nice 3 year old 9 point and since it was his first buck I was as excited as he was....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »
Last weekend in Lawrence County had several new rubs show up, bucks on the heels of does nose to the ground... I am passing on anything less than three years old.  My son did take a nice 3 year old 9 point and since it was his first buck I was as excited as he was....

It amazes me how different the rut is in each part of our state!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
Game on in Northern Conecuh County! Went up Thursday night and hunted all day Friday though Monday morning, scored one 5 point Buck Saturday morning who was out cruising about at 8:15 am. Then Sunday night I was a watching a small Doe in a small green field when she bolted into the woods and then a Buck comes out of the woods chasing her! Monday morning I saw one of the biggest Bucks I've seen while on stand come straight down out off the ridge to inspect a green field, I picked up my rifle and before I could put it up on the rail and make a shot he disappeared back into the woods never to be seen again.

Things are definitely ramping up, I'll be going back up Thursday night looking to find that big boy I missed out on! Finally though I have one being processed for the freezer, sure feels good!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
Warm weather halts rut in Conecuh county??? I hunted Friday morning through Sunday morning this past weekend along with a couple of others at our property. One Spike was seen and killed by one of our older members and the only thing else seen was a few young Does wondering the property with no Bucks what so ever following them. When it was nice and cold last weekend there was all kinds of action but now this weekend it warmed up and daytime Buck activity was non existent! On top of that none of the scrapes seen had been freshened up since the last rain event on the previous Tuesday.

Anybody else hunting in SW Alabama notice the same thing? Will it be better this weekend after the next big cold front goes through? Sure hope so, it's our last chance of the season!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
Well my research continues for when the peak of the rut is in our area of Conecuh County. Our season ended quietly last year without any deer shot in February if my memory serves me right. It seems our Rut peaked around the full moon that occurred last year on January 23rd. The following weekends and into February saw a huge decrease in deer sightings by every person that was hunting.

This year's full moon occurs on Jan. 12th. I will probably hunt from Jan. 12th through Jan. 22nd and see how the rut is then. I keep documenting my observations so hopefully I can nail it down sooner than later!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »
Well this past weekend it rained a lot in Conecuh County, over 7 inches of rain by the time I left Monday and it was still raining. I did notice before the rain started that there were some scrapes and rubs around the outside of some of our food plots so looks like they're getting ready for the rut. I'll be hunting Jan. 6th through the 16th hoping the rut is in full swing triggered by the full moon on Jan. 12th! I'll let you know how it goes when I return!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »
Well this past weekend it rained a lot in Conecuh County, over 7 inches of rain by the time I left Monday and it was still raining. I did notice before the rain started that there were some scrapes and rubs around the outside of some of our food plots so looks like they're getting ready for the rut. I'll be hunting Jan. 6th through the 16th hoping the rut is in full swing triggered by the full moon on Jan. 12th! I'll let you know how it goes when I return!

Good luck! I hope to get back to Montgomery, Alabama for January 2018 hunt!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital