New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Alabama Rut Observations  (Read 17618 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: Alabama Rut Observations
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
North alabama close to Bankhead. Rut is picking up. Scrapes have been ongoing for several weeks and bucks are starting to cruise. The rest of the state with the pure strain southern deer I can't speak for.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
I saw my first scrape and some tree rubs in Northern Conecuh County this past weekend.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »
I think we've hit the December lull in Conecuh county. We had 3 guys hunting this past weekend and other than a couple little yearlings the deer movement was non-existent during daylight hours! There is a cold front going through Friday night so I'm planning to hunt Saturday through Monday again, hopefully they'll be some movement after the rain and cold front goes through Friday night.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »
Nothing to report again from this past weekend, it rained quite a bit so maybe when the rains quit they'll put out some new sign.
Air Force Veteran

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »
I saw three new rubs this weekend (Lawrence County) and had a young spike cruise through the field....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »
I'll be heading to Conecuh Co. this weekend after a 3 week absence, hopefully this cold spell stirs up some activity!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
Wow, what rut  --7-8-9 Hunted for 4 days straight and didn't see but one small deer through the fog Thursday night. Walked a lot of the trails looking for signs of the rut but other than a few new scrapes signs were limited. On the cameras the Bucks were still hanging out in groups of 2-4 indicating they still aren't interested in he ladies yet. Since I'm convinced the rut in our area usually hits the last week of January through the first week or 2 of February and our season ends Feb. 10 I am going to be hunting for 9 days straight starting the evening of Jan. 30th though Feb. 8th! With any luck I will finally be able to put some deer meat in the freezer this year  --09--0 ##$%#116
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:10 AM »
Well I extended my hunt to the end of the season which is Feb. 10th and from what I could tell the rut was just starting. A lot of scrapes were showing up and Bucks seemed to be in the seeking phase, what a few Does with no Bucks following them yet so my guess is they weren't quite ready. I'll go up in a couple of weeks and see what the cameras say.
Air Force Veteran

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
Viking in Marengo County they were just starting to chase...had a couple of spikes chasing but the does were not ready....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
BUMP:

ya'll get to posting on the rut situations again this year... I like it!

North Alabama:
Not much going on besides a few rubs here and there and some small scrapes. Some of the small bucks are still together and it's been all about the food. Another month or so and we shall see.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »
Well as we know from the past we won't see the rut kick in until late January into February in Northern Conecuh County. Right now all we have is some tree rubs from when the bucks were trying to get rid of their velvet a month or so ago. Bucks are hanging in groups with some sparring going on. Rifle season opens in 11 days, sure hope the weather is cool!
Air Force Veteran

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
Rut activity for the house (northern Alabama-northern strain of deer from Bankhead area)
I've hunted off and on for a couple weeks and this past week the buck sign just exploded!!! There are more scrapes and rubs than there has every been at our farm, with saying that, I still have to say we are two weeks out. I smashed a doe last week and her tarsals were turning so it won't be long now til the love bug bites the wrong buck and he comes by the wrong stand, at the wrong time.... for him that is.

I'm callin it, week of thanksgiving, week after, it's going to hit at the house. Anyone around my area or bankhead needs to batten down the hatches and get ready to sit all day.

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
That's great news Z.  I own 40 acres in Hatton that have the Bankhead strain of deer.  I am coming out of a maintenance outage should finish up on the 22nd and get to hunt that week......
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
Rut report:
Opening weekend of rifle in Alabama,
Seen several bucks and does, not together. Once buck come to a can call and grunted his way to me. Had five does in the field yesterday evening along with a spike, then a turd 8 point come in and cleared the field. Getting close. With this cold front and full moon I expect next week or week after for it to hit. Scrapes on top of scrapes, new rubs showing up daily. Almost time!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
Zlong where's your final report on the rut in your area, I'm guessing by now it has come and gone!
Air Force Veteran

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad