New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Alabama Rut Observations  (Read 17617 times)

Offline hiredgun

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Alabama Rut Observations
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
Where we hunt in Hurtsboro, AL the rut seems to be getting into full swing.  We had a member shoot a 9 pt. this past Saturday morning that was chasing a doe.  We saw bucks chasing does that afternoon , as well.

I saw two bucks Sunday mornng but they were together, which seemed strange, at this time of the season.  I would have thought that they would have separated by now.

Had a buddy hunt Monday, Tuesday and this morning........saw a few does and some small bucks but nothing to write home about.

We plan to be back at it this weekend and the weather is supposed to heat up which might put a damper on the deer movement.

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »
Last weekend (Jan. 13-16) I hunted Conecuh Co. again and they didn't seem to be following the does. Of course I didn't see any does but did see a spike 3 times by himself and then saw a 4 point cruising around by himself. Scrapes and rubs were showing up and looked fresh so they're close. We'll be up there this weekend for the last of the season, sure hope things have changed over the past couple of weeks of Jan.
Air Force Veteran

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »
It's ON!!!! All this week have been huntin hard, the longest I'd been out of a stand during the day was an hour due to lighting. Hadn't been seeing any fresh sighn nothing. Then yesterday morning I overslept but on my way down to the stand I had decided to hunt I saw some fresh tracks, got down to my stand saw a fresh rub, checked a couple old scrapes, they had been worked since the rain. Didn't c anything yesterday so after 11 hours straight in the stand I quit for the day.  Rode up the road aways last night to drop some meat off, saw lots of deer and a cpl bucks trailing does. Got in my fave stand ths am saw 1 deer at 9:15 a 6 point that died shortly thereafter. Went to get him and within 15 yds of where he was saw prolly a dozen rubs tht wasn't there earlier this week.

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »
Congrats Cap....spent 11 hours in stand today and 6 yesterday only saw yearling 3pt and two does, I will try again tomorrow after Church...I did find a shed from last year today on the way to my stand...
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
They are moving thats for sure. Rode around the farm last night and seen several. Still think most of the biggest deer here moving at night.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »
Alabama boys, and the ones that hunt in Bama post up your rut observations here:
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
Placed a New Treeline Treestand up Sunday in a area I have had Trophy Rocks out all Spring/Summer looked around afterwards...
and 30 feet from my stand was a active Scrape and a rub line going up a ridge.
All Summer long I have had nothing but Does in this area and the last 3 weeks Bucks are rooming the area, from spikes to 10 pointer's.
The cooler temps has them thinking about the task at hand in Central Alabama.
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
I've always thought hunting where the doe's are is a good strategy. It's just a matter of time partner!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »
North Alabama: Private land: Deer are nearly there, this full moon is helping with the speed up to, should be an interesting next couple weeks.  Seen two bucks chasing a doe on the way to work, both little guys, but have been averaging about 4 to 12 deer being seen a hunt with different bucks showing up daily.  It's shaping up to be one of the best ruts we have had in about 3 years with all the buck sightings, now it's just waiting on the right deer to come through.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
Well I seen a First! Traveling on my way to visit my Mother in law I spotted a buck breeding a Doe right on the side of Future I-22 north of Jasper Alabama and a decent Buck chasing two Does across a Hay field 20 min's later...

Sent from Possum's iPhone using Tapatalk
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
If any of you boys and girls in Southern Alabama are seeing anything please post up in the link below and let me know what you're seeing. So far in my area of Conecuh County the Bucks are still running together and the Does are still in Groups and they're all pigging out on Turnips and Groundhog Radishes at night.

http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=36471.0
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
I know it's early in most of the state but just wanted to get a thread started and post what I observed this weekend. In Northern Conecuh County off Hwy 106 there were no signs of scrapes or rubs this weekend when we were there in the usual places or anywhere else for that matter. Cameras were up but batteries died on some in October. Bucks from what I can tell up until mid October still showed up in Velvet and were mostly traveling at night. I plan to be at the hunting camp the whole week of Thanksgiving for the opening of rifle season so I should have a better report after that!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
Well so far no signs what so ever in the part of Conecuh County I hunt. Spent all last week up there and saw a ton of Does but no scrapes or rubs. Pics showed Bucks moving to food plots between 11 pm and 3 am.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
Where are all the Alabama hunters? Well last time I was at the camp a couple of weeks ago the Bucks were finally starting to make scrapes. Hopefully I'll see some chasing in the next week while I'm up there!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 12:43:12 AM »
I was there the week before MLK day. Sumter county. Not rutting then. It was a very inactive week.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital