talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: Alabama Rut Observations  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Alabama Rut Observations 12/02
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »
My CFO at work Seen a 4 point Buck chasing a Doe get hit by a SUV in front of him killing both Deer...
He stopped to see if everyone was OK in the SUV , I ask him if the Deer Stank and he said man did they...
So I say the Rut is going on in the Suburbs...
This happen 1 1/2 mile from work
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Alabama Rut Observations 11/15
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »
Got out and did a little RE-CON yesterday evening and found two large(carhood size) scrapes with several trees within a 10 yard area of the scrapes tore up really bad and man did the woods STINK! Set my climber up with about 75  yards gonna be waiting on him in the morning. Also added some MIKES MAGIC to one of the spots, we shall see.

Offline Luvthebow

• Button Buck
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
Took my son and his dog squirrel hunting this morning saw one good scrape several rubs in Jackson co.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 10 Point
  • Winner 2011 November Give Away!
    • NYFD
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
I will be in Sumter in January. The rut usually kicks in around mid January there -0078
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Luvthebow

• Button Buck
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »
Did an evening hunt today in jackson co. Same place I went last weekend and was amazed to see 4 or 5 scraps in less than a hundred yards these were not there last week kinda getting excited. Looking forward to the rut.

Offline Possum

Alabama Rut Observations 12/11/2011
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »
This 9 Point 185 LB Buck was chasing two Does Central Alabama (Shelby County)
Buck was killed by Mike Hoover Shoal Creek Hunting Club.
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Christmas Eve Buck 2010
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
Nice buck Possum....
Team 17   "Family Tradition"
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline droptine

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »
Went hunting last Thursday morning (12-8-11) and shot a doe for a friend of mine.  Her tarsal glands were soaked black. During the weekend hunt I witnessed a 6 pt chasing a doe and the next day a young 8 pt chasing a doe.  The rut seems to be trickling in.  I've noticed other does still grouped up and their tarsal glands are normal.  Pictures from a plot show bucks still grouped as well.  Hit and miss at this point.  DT

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
Re: Alabama Rut Observations
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
I hope it'll b around then, I get off this cussed boat on Jan 4, off untill feb 1

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
Couple of friends told me tonight they seen a few small bucks chasing the last couple of days, but no big boys. I personally have not seen anything chasing. I think the weather has them screwed up.

Offline Possum

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »
Has not been anything harvest at my lease since Dec. 18th, I killed a 7 point the day before that.
The warm weather seems to have shut them down again.. Found some good rubs Saturday 24th.
No Deer movement at all today until I almost ran over a nice 6 point crossing the road around 6:30 pm
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 10:22:01 PM »
After some great pictures in Oct and Nov, I have only seen a few small does all gun season and the pictures have dried up too!  Not sure whats going on...
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »
We've had 2 very nice deer killed this week. The first was taken Tuesday evening 5 does were in the food plot and a nine point followed a few minutes later. Wednesday morning a guy was rattling and a big 8 came charging in.

We found 18 scrapes within a couple hundred yards of each other. Like  our neighbor Bugfixer we've seen scrapes since bow season but the woods are full of them now. We're still seeing bucks run together and no chasing to speak of yet.
A wise head keeps a shut mouth.

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
My son was out hunting today and had four does come into the field, one was very nervous.  A few minutes later a six point came into the field and started chasing one of the does (the skittish one) around the field then back off into the woods....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:34 PM »
We've had 2 very nice deer killed this week. The first was taken Tuesday evening 5 does were in the food plot and a nine point followed a few minutes later. Wednesday morning a guy was rattling and a big 8 came charging in.

We found 18 scrapes within a couple hundred yards of each other. Like  our neighbor Bugfixer we've seen scrapes since bow season but the woods are full of them now. We're still seeing bucks run together and no chasing to speak of yet.

We also saw a lot buck movement this week. I killed a 185 lbs 8 point and HM's son killed a 200 lbs. 8 point. Both had swollen necks and dark tarsal glands. Saw another good shooter buck cruising this morning. Tried to get my a son to shoot  it but it didn't work out for us. Another member saw a couple bucks running together.

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com