New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Alabama Rut Observations  (Read 17634 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Alabama Rut Observations
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
Has not got anywhere close to beginning....

Seeing some rubs but that about does it... the bucks are still hanging around together and the does have just started getting back together.
At my place it should get to rolling in exactly a month with the Northern Strain deer but will be several months before it starts happening down south.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:47:12 PM by ZLong19 »
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

TalkHunting Community

Alabama Rut Observations
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Alabama Rut Observations
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »
I know this is not a true pre-rut function or a Teenager hunting Momma...
My Nephew had a Spike trailing 6 Does 10 minutes ahead of him he had his nose to the ground and never looked up.
This was 10/22/2011 10:25 AM Coosa County Alabama
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
I know this is not a true pre-rut function or a Teenager hunting Momma...
My Nephew had a Spike trailing 6 Does 10 minutes ahead of him he had his nose to the ground and never looked up.
This was 10/22/2011 10:25 AM Coosa County Alabama

Sounds more like a teenager not wanting to take no for an answer after Momma booted him from the family group!  He'll get himself shot if he's not careful hanging around with does this time of year! 
Air Force Veteran

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
I've actually found a few rubs today and a scrape while trailing a buck I shot this morning

Offline droptine

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
10/29  East Alabama.  I've found a few "pie plate" scrapes along the road beds in the pine thickets.  These smaller scrapes are typical of the young bucks in our area.   I had a spike trying to mount a mature doe this evening, but the rut isn't anywhere close yet.  DT

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:58:10 PM »
I was up in Northern Conecuh Co. this weekend and no sign of the rut there.  Bucks are on camera still hanging out in Bachelor groups. 
Air Force Veteran

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »
Noticed a pile of scrapes and rubs at the house and also down south.

The bucks must be finally separating for the rut.

At the house (N. ALabama)  the bucks have separated and are following the ladies but not harassing yet,  first week of December is going to be the week for my place.

South.  Scrapes and rubs noticed, (More this year than in the past five years)  hopefully it will be a little earlier rut
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:55:47 PM »
ZLong finally finished my outage at work so I finally get to get in the woods this weekend...wish me luck!
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
Found quite a few scrapes b4 leaving for work but still thinking it'll b sometime in Jan b4 ne real activity starts taking place

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »

sounds like it is picking up down there!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
11/27 found a few small rubs and looked like some small scrapes today when leaving the lease land, had several small rubs behind the house on the farm maybe one scrape, I think it will be a couple more weeks yet.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
Good luck guys things starting to sound close...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline droptine

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »
A recent evening hunt in Russell Co on a friend's property....Had 5 does in the field late.  A young buck came in at dark and cleared the field.  As stated before, this is typical of the young bucks in our area.  I guess they are trying to get in on the action before the big boys start running.  The doe tarsals in the field were normal color and they are not going into estrous yet.  We had a report that the deer were chasing in this area, but I strongly believe this hunter just saw a young buck harrassing a few does.  Pre-rut will hopefully be cranking up in a few weeks.  DT

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
We have been seeing a ton of scrapes since opening weekend of bow season. I don't know that I have ever seen this many scrapes that early in the year. Not sure what to make of it. Not seeing any rubs though. I found and old rub line this weekend, that looks like it has been used several times over the years.

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
I just did a little research and what I observed may be good news for us hunters in the Southern Half of the state for this year.  Typically in my area (Conecuh County) the rut happens anywhere from mid January to early February.  Last year I know from when the scrapes and rubs started showing up in mass and the roaming Bucks started to show up on camera that the rut started around the last weekend of Jan. and peaked well into the first or second week of Feb. 

If the rut is triggered by the Moon phase like so many in the know say then that makes sense for last year since the full moon was around Jan. 20th.  Experts agree that the rut kicks off with one of the full moons in Nov, Dec, or Jan just depending on where you're located in the country.  I'm a firm believer that in Alabama South of at least Montgomery the rut is triggered by the Jan. full moon.  With it occurring Jan. 20th last year that caused the peak of the rut to occur in late Jan. and well into Feb.  This year on the other hand the full moon is Jan. 10th which means in most places in South Alabama the peak of the rut should occur in mid to late Jan. instead of Feb. I'm no expert by any means but I'll be making my plans to spend a lot of time on stand in mid and late Jan. this year, I think it's going to be a good one!
Air Force Veteran

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad