New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: ZLong's Hunting Roadshow Circus  (Read 5681 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
ZLong's Hunting Roadshow Circus
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:01:04 AM »
10/15- Clear and calm in tha AM,  the moon's brightness let me walk to the stand without a flashlight.
After I got settled in I seen two silouettes in the filed and look at them with the Nikons....two does. They feed on through and get back in the thick stuff just as the sky starts to turn pink.  The rest of the morning was pretty uneventful until around 9:00 when a gray fox come easing through the lane. I would have shot it, but it was a little out of range and didn't stop.
10/15-PM  Got settled in to the evening lock-on where I have been seeing a 130-135 class eight point every evening. About five thirty I have three does come right under me and feed on through the acorns heading to the green field. About fifteen minutes later two more does walk the exact same path as the first does and head straight for the green field.  I binoc the does already out in the field and two more have slipped in from somewhere that I am not sure of, so I have 7 does out in the plot eating away and I am just knowing big nasty is about to come through.... no show.
10/16-AM.Clear and Calm. First buck sighting of the season while on stand.  Was hunting a white oak loaded with acorns and about 0630 two racked bucks come down the edge of the beans, one was a shooter (120-130) eight and the other was a baby eight. The deer ended up about sixty yards feeding in the beans as they headed to bed an no shot opportunity was ever given. Had one doe come in about 8 to snack on some acorns but didn't blaze her.
10/16-PM windy and hot.....Sat all afternoon in the sun, actually got sunburn on the right side of my face.  Had ole coon come through at fifteen yards so I thought now was the time to practice  @--0--0121  I drew back and center the pin inbetween the coons eyes and tapped the release.  THWACK!!!!  Coon flopped around like a head shot turkey for a minute then the deal was done.  Had one doe and infant come in at dark and fed for a minute before easing on out into the beans for the night.
10/17-PM  Windy and cloudy as all get out..... Had one stand in mind that would be borderline with the wind out of the SW like it was.... chanced it and went on out..... Sat in the stand for about an hour and looked at the radar on my phone. The radar showed red and yellow all over me. I made the executive decision to get down out of the stand and go sit in the house and call it a day. Got inside and the bottom fell out of the clouds... it rained and rained and rained. The wind changed direction to NW after the rain and I eased back down the driveway for a look at the plot.... four bucks standing in the plot....  @--0--0127
I grabbed my bow and was planning my stalk. After gettin to about 60 yards the deer eased behind a brushpile so I made a quick, agile move to the pile and climbed up quietly. I tucked down in the pile and waited on the bucks to walk by. Five minutes and here they come... two spikes, a little six, and a two year old eight walked within 20 yards. I could have gigged anyone of them, but their not what I am after.
Calling for wind the next two days, so I probably won't make it out in the evening but Friday, Sat, Sun it's game on
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:59:07 AM by ZLong19 »
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: ZLong's Hunting Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
the buck groups are gone up here. time for some fighting
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:13:40 AM »
Your seeing does, so the bucks have to be around
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:18:15 AM »
the buck groups are gone up here. time for some fighting

The little ones are still goofing around here, the big guys have changed their attitudes since the velvet dropped. That one the other day reminded me of two longbeards together. One was the boss dog and the other was just a looker, probably learning from daddy.  The little bucks will probably start gettin fussy before too long.. probably after this cold front comes in.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »

good to hear your seeing deer!

keep after um! and good luck! @--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Possum

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »
Awesome Journal "Z".... Better keep me away from that Area It's killing me to sling a Arrow...
 @--0--0123
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:52:32 PM »
Awesome Journal "Z".... Better keep me away from that Area It's killing me to sling a Arrow...
 @--0--0123

It took all I had not to let one fly on those does I seen Saturday.... ole big boy was in the back of my mind.
This Saturday, however; Blood will fly. I'll be on the board for sure

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »
Cool Z...you hunting at home or your honey hole?  Did you post the pictures of the Elk??
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »
Cool Z...you hunting at home or your honey hole?  Did you post the pictures of the Elk??

I haven't yet... I will have to do it when I get home because my email won't open here at work to upload it.

I hunted at home opening weekend and I am going down south in a little while.
I won't hunt the honey hole until the gators get outta dodge and they drop the water to winter level.... let that happen and I can already see the blood trail  ;D

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: ZLong's Hunting Journal Update 10/18
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »
10/18-PM  Got out yesterday afternoon in the 30mph winds...  Figured I wouldn't have seen anything but tht all changed about 5:00.  Had two does and a fawn come out about sixty yards away and started feeding in the plot. the deer were extremely nervous due to the high winds and spent more time lookin up than feeding.
At about 6:00pm had a nice eight step out into the plot and begin feeding. He acted like he didn't have a care in the world, but must have said something to one of the does that offended her because she flat out whooped his rear end across the plot and ran him into the woods. Even in the high winds I could hear her hooves hitting him. 
Headed out here after while to the land of giants and hope I'll be updating next time with a picture.

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 07:29:05 AM »
Good luck, Z!   Hope you see Mr. BIG!! 
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
LOL Z you know how them females can get....they are gonna get their way one way or another....be careful on your trip....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: ZLong's Hunting Journal Update 10/21
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
10/21-pm
Got out this afternoon and set up at the end of an oak flat with a green patch comin up to it.... At about 5 I had four does step out and start feeding my way.  They were all calm and collective, The wind was perfect and I knew it was time to follow a blood trail.  The lead doe hung a left before she got to me and started feeding under a white oak and I thought it was going to be a watching session if the others continued the same path she did, but little did I know here and the second doe wasn't real good friends and she stood up on her hind legs and run the other doe towards me.  After she felt like she was far enough she turned and went back to the white oak and the other doe kept on a comin.  She was at 50, then 40, then 30, and then was at 22 yards broadside.  I eased into full draw and right when I did that she turned straight at me........ I waited for about thirty seconds and she turned back broadside and I let the pink victory fly and you talk about a great shot... perfect heart shot and don't mean to be graffic but that Rage Two blade did what they say it does.. blood was going everywhere as she ran outta there.
She ran about thirty yards and hit the thicket and I heard her crash. With all the commotion the other does ran out in the field and were about 45 yards away. I started to fling one but didn't want to get greedy.. I kill one tomorrow.  First blood of the year and it feels just like the first one I ever killed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:52:27 PM by ZLong19 »

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: ZLong's Hunting Journal Update 10/24
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
Well.... I have freezer meat now  @--0--0121

10/22- AM  Was down south this weekend and after eating at jacks decided on the morning sit.  I chose a lock-on we had hung at the end of Sep. that was surrounded by some white oaks.  Got settled in and the first part of the morning was rather uneventful for down there (It's usually wide open on the morning sits) At 8:15 had a doe ( I thought it was one) come from behind me on the way to the acorns. She walked behind a tree and I started to draw on her and about halfway through my draw I heard a deer blow directly behind me... and off they went... it was two does.  About thirty minutes later I had a spike come in and eat under me until nine thirty and mosey on off.
10/22-PM  Sat on the edge of a plot with sawtooths and white oaks in one corner.  Was a very eventful afternoon. 5 minutes after being up a tree had three big longbeards come through the plot then right behind them was a doe with a little one. They ended up feeding under me all afternoon and about every thirty minutes I was having deer come through until dark.  I ended up having 5 does, 2 spikes, a nice 6, and right at dark I had a borderline 8 come in.  Fayette produced just like it should, but I do have some bad news about the property.... hogs are starting to show up.. we had some on camera and some of our fields are rooted up... gotta get to killin them... but also on camera we had three bucks that will gross in the 160's to low 170's.  We moved some cameras to try to dig a little deeper on em.   If we can find where their living we might get a crack at one before rut.  I'll post some pictures of them if I can get ahold of that SD Card next weekend.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:37:03 AM by ZLong19 »

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: ZLong's Hunting Journal Update 10/25
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »
10/24-PM
Slipped into the front yard stand as soon as I got home from work yesterday.  At about 5:30 I had a single doe come out and head through the greens straight to the white oak I was sitting in.  She was a whole 5 foot from the base of the tree I was in and just munching away. I thought about taking her out but I am not a fan of straight down shooting because you either hit them in the spine and mess up part of the tenderloin or you just one lung them and they run for a mile before dying.  So I just enjoyed her company until dark and she fed right on out into the pasture.   Takin a break from the action this afternoon to do a couple of euro mounts for some guys I know, but I'll be back after em Wed.  I like these quick hunts like the ones after work, but I better enjoy them because when the time changes I won't be able to do it.

New Page 3

Google Ad