New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Tank's hunting journal  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
Tank's hunting journal
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »
Oct. 15th I hunted the Donkey plot. I hunted until 10:30 but didn't see anything. NE wind lows in the 50's highs in the 70's

That evening I went back to the same plot. At 5:20pm a deer blew to the southwest. At 6:20 a button buck fed out from the north west side of the plot. He fed for 30 minutes finally leaving directly under my stand toward where the deer had blown earlier.

Oct. 16th I hunted off bear creek road. At first light there was movement directly in front of me. After listening to something rustle around in the leaves for 30 minutes or so a doe popped out near the the edge of the road. She worked her way up the ridge to the north. Never came closer than 70 yards.
A wise head keeps a shut mouth.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
Re: Tank's hunting journal
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »

great pic looks like a great spot!

@--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »
looks and sounds like a good spot
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Great looking stand location...plot sure looks good...Good luck with your season.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
This weekend started off rough. I planned to take Friday off but things got so busy I had to cancel. Below is a picture from Friday evening  @--0--0126

Oct 22: Saturday morning was cool in the low 40's. I hunted my ladder stand off bear creek road again. Didn't see anything.

That evening I went back to the Donkey plot. The wind was supposed to be a NW wind but ended up being SE...Needless to say I had to climb on the opposite side of the plot from the lock on. At 6:00 2 does came out on the east side of the plot and worked down the edge right under my stand. The bigger doe busted me and I shot over her at 35 yards.

Oct 23: I hunted thunder struck. The wind was swirling pretty bad. A deer blew at 8:00am didn't see any deer but I didn't see a ton of doves.

That evening I went back to the Donkey plot. The wind was SE again. 2 deer came out directly under the lock-on on the west side of the plot but it was too dark to make what they were. I'll check the camera next week and find out.

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:21:48 AM »
Oct 29th. North Wind was blowing like crazy. I hunted Thunder Struck Sat morning and saw 2 spotted fawns on my way out.

Sat evening I hunted Itchy plot. The wind was still blowing like crazy. I had one doe come out of the bottom to the east and walked around the plot through some thick stuff. Never got a shot.

Sunday was clear and cold. I hunted Saggy off bear creek road. I saw a ton of tree rats and 4 red headed woodpeckers were going to town all morning, no deer though.

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
Sun Nov 6th. I hunted Thunderstruck bottom in the morning. Acorns were falling like crazy but very little movement. Didnt see any deer.

I hunted chubbs plot that evening. The east wind was still blowing but it turned calm around 5 pm. A button buck came down the road from the east and fed out behind me. Eventually making his way all the way to the north end of the plot before exiting to the west. I had 2 other deer on the plot right at dark but I couldnt make out what they were.

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
Nov 12th. I over slept and I didn't get in the tree until after daylight. Cold with frost on the ground and a NE wind. I climbed the east side of Donkey. @7:45 I had 6 deer (does and fawns) work up the timber break to the east. They were within 40yds but it was so thick I never got a shot. @ 9:15 a sow and 10 piglets came out on the NW side of the plot but never came within 80yds. I'll have my rifle next weekend  --09--0

That evening I took my daughter (she's 4) on her first hunt. We sat the shooting house on woody. @4:30 a doe and a fawn fed out from the NW corner. They fed for about 15 minutes before the binoculars got dropped  ##$%#13. Needless to say they left. @5:00 I heard leaves crunching beside the shooting house. I told Jules to be very quiet. A few seconds later 2 does and a fawn were standing 10 feet in front of the shooting house. They were so close they heard her whisper "cool!". I snapped a pic before the last doe left the plot. We didn't kill anything but it was one of the most satisfying hunts I have ever been on. I cant wait to take her again.

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
Nov 19th. I hunted donkey in the AM. NE wind warm and looking like rain. I climbed about 50 yards off the plot near the timber break on the east side of the plot. @ 7:15 am 3 does and a spike fed through from the logging road on the NW side of the plot. Hogs have started rooting the plot up pretty bad. On my way out it started raining.

I hunted hamburger hill that evening. It rained for the first hour of the hunt. I had a small doe come from the north end of the plot out of the select cut and through the 4 wheeler trail onto the plot. About 30 minutes later another doe showed up right beside the shooting house on the SW side of the plot.

Nov. 20th I hunted my ladder stand off bear creek road in the AM. It was very humid and hot. Didn't see anything.

I hunted wizard that evening. As soon as I got settled I had 8 turkeys come out of the bottom to the SW. They stayed on the plot for awhile and finally exited to the NE. I had 2 does move through the plot @ 5pm. Brandon shot a 147 5/8 8 point off Doughnut just across the bottom from me.

Nov. 21 I hunted wizard again. It was very foggy and warm. The fog didn't lift until almost 9am. Didn't see anything.

That evening I hunted woody. 2 does fed out from the NE side of the plot and stayed well after dark.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:14:17 PM by Tank76 »

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 08:19:46 AM »
11/25 AM: I hunted the hen house. East wind and mild temps. Didnt see anything.

PM: I hunted Hamburger one doe came out of the bootm to the SW she fed for an hour or so then exited to the west.

11/26 AM: I hunted the hen house again but I repositioned my stand so I could see a couple different crossings. A couple trucks from the adjoining club kept driving the roads so I got down and headed to the Bee plot. Sat for a few hours it was cool and very windy. Didnt see anything.

PM: ROLL TIDE!

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »
12/3
AM: I sat woody in the AM. The wind was out of the SE mild temps. @7:30 I heard dogs and someone whooping. The nieghboring club had thier annual dog drive. I had 2 walkers run right by me so I decided to get down.

PM: I sat salty and had a beagle from the mornings dog drive trail me to the shooting house. He decided to lay under the shooting house so I decided it was time to go. I led him out to the road and tied him up so his owner could find him. I sat woody for the rest of the afternoon but saw nothing.

12/4

AM: I sat salty. SE wind and warm. didnt see anything

PM: I sat wizard SSE wind and very warm. First weekend I've been skunked. Hopefully a week of no dogs and cold temps will have them on thier feet this weekend!

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »
12/3
AM: I sat woody in the AM. The wind was out of the SE mild temps. @7:30 I heard dogs and someone whooping. The nieghboring club had thier annual dog drive. I had 2 walkers run right by me so I decided to get down.

PM: I sat salty and had a beagle from the mornings dog drive trail me to the shooting house. He decided to lay under the shooting house so I decided it was time to go. I led him out to the road and tied him up so his owner could find him. I sat woody for the rest of the afternoon but saw nothing.

12/4

AM: I sat salty. SE wind and warm. didnt see anything

PM: I sat wizard SSE wind and very warm. First weekend I've been skunked. Hopefully a week of no dogs and cold temps will have them on thier feet this weekend!

Those dogs ran all over our property too. We saw one on Robinson Creek road by one of our old gates. They ruined a lot of hunts that morning.

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
 12/10
AM: North wind and cool. I sat my ladder on hamburger hill. Didn't see anything.

PM: North wind and cool. I sat Double D. A cow horn and an 11 point fed out right at dark. They were so close to the shooting house I couldn't adjust to take a shot comfortably. Light was fading so I decided to shoot the 11 point one handed. I laid my 30.06 on the window seal and gave it a squeeze. He dropped like a rock.

12/11
AM: We slept in after watching the UFC fight and went to look for a doe another guy had shot Saturday evening.

PM: I sat the Bee plot. NE wind, cold and drizzling ran. Didn't see anything.

Online Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
That's a fine looking buck, did you report it to Dutch-Hunter? Just a heads up before he sends you a PM
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »
After a few weeks off for the Holidays I'm back at it.

12/26 - Cloudy and warm, lows in the mid 50's.

AM - I sat thunderstruck bottom. Didn't see any deer. There were a couple fresh scrapes on the logging road walking in.

PM - I sat Cookie Cutter, didn't see anything.

12/27 - Windy gusts up to 25mph.

AM - I sat salty, didn't see anything. 2 new scrapes at the south edge of the plot.

PM - The wind finally stopped. I sat maggie. I saw 14 turkeys no deer. D shot a big 9 pointer off HS.

12/28 - Lows in the 30's.

AM - I sat the cut over near wizard. I saw the same 14 turkeys and 2 does. My stand placement was horrible. The sun was directly in my face. 18 scrapes around the cut over. LH shot the 8 point we've nicknamed "Touch".

PM - I sat donkey. The wind was light but variable. I had 3 does come up out of the bottom to the NE. They milled around in the thick underbrush to the north and never came on the plot. One doe winded me and blew but all three does stayed for another hour until I got down. When I turned to climb down there were more deer directly behind me.

New Page 3

Google Ad