New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Snorts deer journal  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
Snorts deer journal
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »
This past weekend was the 1st weekend I was able to get out bow hunting due to my busy schedule. it started out Friday night when i got home from work. I asked my son Tristan if he wanted to goi hunting with me in the homemade blind he had help me build. And of course he said yes. we say 5 doe and 1 buck, he was really excited. They were all in gun range but not close enough for a bow shot. I had to work Sat morning and then hit the woods again Sat afternoon. The deer started moving 20 minutes after I arrived at my stand. I had a doe heading my way and when she got behing the big oak tree 6 yards away a adjusted the way I was setting and drew back my bow, Unfortunatly the seat made a loud noise an all I had was a head shot. she was looking right at me and ran like heck.  ##$%#13  @--0--0117 I had a total of 4 deer within gun range that night. Sunday morn I headed over to my buddies farm to hunt with him. I had a button buck hang around my stand for about a half hour, but I only shot mature doe or bucks. Then Sunday afternoon I hunting behind my house. It was super windy and a half hour before ark a big old doe appeared in my shotting lane and by the time I drew back she was already threw my lane. She had her fawn fallowing her and it of course hung around and I had all kinds of shot oppertunity's. All in all I had a great 4 hunts, I saw a total of 13 deer and all were in easy gun range. I will gladly take a 3.25 deer per hunt average. I also checked all my trail cams and I am excited about all the good prospects in the area.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
Re: Snorts deer journal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »

sounds like ready and locked on  for the season!  good luck Clint!

@--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline hunterman7956

• Spike
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
I was just wondering what's the average size horn and weight for the areas you hunt ? good luck this season !

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »
I was just wondering what's the average size horn and weight for the areas you hunt ? good luck this season !
A 2.5 year old buck will weight 160 to 180 field dressed and a 2.5 doe will weight 120 to 140. A 2.5 year old buck will average 115" to 135"

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:11:18 AM »
What was supposed to be a long weekend of hunting turned out to be 1 Sunday eveing hunt. I did see 8 deer from the stand. All were in easy gun range and 3 got within bow range and I got busted drawing my bow. 7 doe, 1 small buck. I am begging to think I have lost my edge. But I wont let it get me down. I will stick to my game plan and keep after them.  The bright side is I am seeing alot of deer in range. So far this season I have a 3.8 deer per set. I will take that all day long.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
What was supposed to be a long weekend of hunting turned out to be 1 Sunday eveing hunt. I did see 8 deer from the stand. All were in easy gun range and 3 got within bow range and I got busted drawing my bow. 7 doe, 1 small buck. I am begging to think I have lost my edge. But I wont let it get me down. I will stick to my game plan and keep after them.  The bright side is I am seeing alot of deer in range. So far this season I have a 3.8 deer per set. I will take that all day long.

Naw you have not lost your edge!  we believe in you!

keep after um and go get snort! @--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Possum

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
Won't be long Clint we be seeing Harvest Photo's of Deer from you keep at them...!
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
Nov 4th came and it started of a 3 day weekend for me. That morning I had 2 young bucks coming by at 10 yards and at 10:00 am I had a monster 12 point come by in the at around 50 to 60 yards away. I was able to watch and study him for about 30 minutes. I quessed him to be in the 170" range. That afternoon I saw 2 more small bucks. I had my sons soccer tournament that next morning. Then that evening I was back in the woods  and at 5 to 5:30 a doe and a fawn came by at 40 yards. I drew back and let an arrow fly, a miss, then the fawn came into the opening and I let another arrow fly. Another near miss. At this time I am mad and frustrated and 5 minutes later I hear crashing in the woods 50 yards away and the doe falls down dead. I just thought I missed the 1st shot. I got one lung and the liver. BOOOYAHHH Snort is on the board. I then saw 2 more doe that evening. I was up bright and early the next morning and  had a doe come by at 70 yards and a big old IL bruzer buck was on her trail. And then within a minute 2 more small bucks were on the trail als. I then saw 1 button back later in the morning. When I left my stand I checked my trail cams and I now have a total of 7 shooter buck pic's on this one farm. All are 135 and up. I was unable to hunt Sunday afternoon because my son had to play some more games in the end of year soccer tourney. They played 5 games in two days and got second in the tourney. Yes I missed two hunts but it was worth it. My son is a happy little boy. It is amazing how much a bunch of 6 and 7 year old kids have developed in 8 weeks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:46:31 AM by Snortweeze »

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
I had a 3 day weekend of hunting planned for this past weekend and only got to hunt on Friday. I spent Saturday and Sunday spreading anhydrous on my crop fields.  But I did have a good hunt on Friday. It started out with me over sleeping and having to hunt behind my house. Which was not all bad, I had three bucks and 2 doe come by my stand. One real big 6 point which was a eight point but had half of his right side main beam broke off. His previous trail cam pic's told me he was a good 135" to 140" deer. That afternoon I headed to the stand I had planned on hunting in the morning and I saw two bucks and one doe. Both bucks were to small to shoot. When I left I then pulled my trail cam and to my dismay early that morning a monster buck walked right by my stand. I quess him at the mid 170" catagory. Man it still sting knowing I should of been there if I would have not hit the snooze button. On a second note, our shotgun season starts this coming Friday and the nearest I can figure it has been 12 years since I have not had a buck kill with my bow before gun season. I just dont think my heart is fully in it this year.

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »
Illinois shotgun season rolled around this past weekend. Friday morn started off a little slow but heated up late morn. I came close to getting at shot an legit B&C buck. He and 4 other bucks were chasing a doe thru the timber and I came close to getting a shot but he would not hols still long enough.  @--0--0117 Then at 12:30 straight up a 130" 8 point came by at 35 yards and I could not pull the trigger knowing that the monster was in the area. I st all day Friday and saw 19 deer, 7 buck and 12 antlerless deer. i was very optomistic for Sat morning after the morning I had on friday, but it was a flop, I only seen a 1 1/2 year old buck that morning. I descided to switch things up that evening and went to a different farm. I saw one doe at 200 yards. Sunday morn came and went without a deer sighting. I headed home and took a nap that turned out to be a long one. By the time I woke up the sun was falling. Whoops, I then turned on the Bears game and enjoyed watching them beat the Chargers.

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
Well I only made it out for 1 afternoon of hunting this past weekend and was not in the stand for 30 minutes when a monster 12 point (175" to 185") came by. I drew back and let one fly, I hit where I was aiming but it was a little high. After tracking his blood trail for 150 yards I lost blood. I then scoured the woods until dark and went out and looked this morning for a few hours with no luck. That is the kind of luck I have been having.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »

oh man snort sorry to hear about that buck!

keep after um and  @--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
After spending another 3 hours lucking for the buck I shot on Sunday with no luck I decided to get back on the horse that bucked me. Went hunting last nigh and had a button buck and his mother come by at 10 yards. I wanted to shoot the doe so bad to regain my confidence but could not get drawn back with out being seen. I think I have lost my mojo.

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
Come on, Snort.     You're better than that.      Can't change the past, but you can make the future better.     We all hate to lose a deer, but it happens.      It hurts that much worse when it's a real monster like that 12, but get back out there and maybe you'll see him again, or one even bigger!    You know how tough they are so he might still be around.      You owe him (and yourself) that much.      If you're worried about "mojo", do something to change it!      Carry something new with you, do something different, run around the woods in your birthday suit, SOMETHING!     Ya gotta believe, brother!    Ya gotta believe!!!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Snortweeze

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
Thusday and Friday afternoon hunts. Got blanked.

New Page 3

Google Ad