New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/19/11  (Read 3840 times)

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/5
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »
Got in the stand around 3 pm this afternoon, wind was perfect for the buck who has been working a scrap line that is 35 yards to the left of this stand to come right in.  WRONG, wind changed about an hour after I hit the stand.  Til 5:30 pm all that as around were crows and squirrels.  One squirrel busted me after e ran past me up the tree.....sat for 20 minutes 5 foot above my head barking at me and tossing acorns......then had 11 deer come out in a field to my right.  5 mature doe and fawn,  the buck fawn are frisky and are head butting an chasing the doe fawn and the doe all over.  They were running and jumping but stayed 190 to 250 yards away.  Oh well, let the doe walk this time of year cause the rut should be on by next weekend, nothing like live bait.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline BeaglePup

Re: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/11
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
Hit the stand at 2:50 PM today.  Had deer moving again in an open field 200+ yards away 6 this time all doe and doe fawn.  The wind was blowing hard from the NW tonight.  A little after 4 pm a button buck came into the field in front on my stand from the opposite direction as the doe in the field and was joined by his brother.  They stopped and checked out a scrap at the edge of the field but stepped around it and proceeded to graze on the WTI clover.  They were not nervous which I would have thought they would be because the the 15 to 20 mph winds.  I could have shot either youngester anytime after they entered the field but I will give them a chance to make it through general firearms season....NOW READ MY UPCOMING BLOG FOR ALL TONIGHTS DETAILS!!
'10 NE Anniversary Party
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline BeaglePup

Re: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/12
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »
Even though the winds are blowing again today I decided I would go sit over a field that in the past I have has lots of deer movement.  I concelled my self in an old equipment shed to help mask my scent and keep out of the wind.  About 3:55Pm there was the beginnings of deer movement back in a bank of pinetrees about 180 yards from the shed.  It was a group of doe.  Oh good, the live bait is coming into the field to eat.  15 minutes later racing down the middle of the field are two ATVs with 2 kids on each with a 4x4 truck bringing up the rear.  The owner of the property and his kids are out for a play evening.  I just backed out of the shed and came to the house.  The owner was preparing to cut some firewood from a few of the down trees.  Where these folks are working are within sight of all my stands and house.  Oh well, give it another shot Monday Night!
'10 NE Anniversary Party
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
Hi BP,

I saw 5 deer  this afternoon within 100 yards of where I had been cutting firewood about 2 hours earlier.

Maybe you'll have better luck tommorrow
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »
No Sunday Hunting in Virginia.
'10 NE Anniversary Party
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »
Massachussetts used to be and still is I think a no Sunday hunting state also. I wonder how many states  there are that do not allow Sunday hunting
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline BeaglePup

Re: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/16
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »
No deer movement today or yesterday, the men clearing the land behind my house have been in the fields cutting wood and preparing brush ples to burn off.  They have told me that they will not burn until after the first of the year.  When they work out there all day the deer do not move (no matter rut or not) until after dark.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:56:07 PM by BeaglePup »
'10 NE Anniversary Party
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
Massachussetts used to be and still is I think a no Sunday hunting state also. I wonder how many states  there are that do not allow Sunday hunting
I'm thinking the last time I looked it was eleven (11) states that has no Sunday hunting.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BeaglePup

Re: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/16
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »
Okay - the late fall monsoons have hit Virginia.  We have had heavy rain in my area with wind gusts to 60 mph.  Doubt there has been too much deer movement today except deep in the heavy pines.
'10 NE Anniversary Party
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline BeaglePup

Re: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/18/11
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
Okay, Now I have a problem.  I went to my stand this afternoon about 2:45; no deer movement at the time.  At 3:20 the trespasser from my blog was back but in a stand on the other side of the field and he had someone else with him that went to ground blind area a little way from him.  I took out my Blaze orange cap and put it on my head and they did not move.  For safety sake I got down and came to my house.  I have now called the landowner who said he would be at their truck at dark when they came out and "have a talk" with them.  I got down because I was in both their lines of fire with their muzzleloaders.  Even though I was up i a tree and they were 190 and 210 yards from me I did not feel comfortable.  My only satisfaction was that when i got to my barn I jumped up on my big tractor and cranked her up with about 25 minutes of shooting light left and then I made sure I drove my car to the barn at last light with the head lights on......Ya think they know I knew they were there??  No deer were seen moving anyway.
'10 NE Anniversary Party
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline BeaglePup

Re: BeaglePup's Hunting Journal - updated 11/19/11
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »
Now, I was in the stand tonight.  NO DEER but I have heard lots and lots of shots.  I saw a doe this morning in the front yard, I debated whether to take her out not but decided not to, by the time I would have gotten on the porch with the gun she would have moved to a place where there would be houses through the heavy trees.  Just will not take that type of shot.  She was not close enough for a crossbow shot!
'10 NE Anniversary Party
FO of the Eastern Star

New Page 3

Google Ad