New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 5114TX's Hunting Journal  (Read 5930 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
Re: 5114TX's Hunting Journal
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 04:08:31 AM »
Well, not exactly an ideal morning.    44*, wind chill 37*, wind N at 16 mph, humidity 87%, dew point 41*, sunrise at 7:21.     Winds SUPPOSEDLY diminishing throughout the day.    Rain has already moved out so that blows that plan.     I was hoping to BE THERE when the rain stopped.     Coming up on last quarter moon.      Getting close to the time of year to "push the envelope" and really get in there with 'em, but I'm going to wait until after the 2nd rut's over.       Time to get into the thick stuff.   That's where ol' Big Boy's gonna be.    I have an untouched corner on each piece of property that I save for December.     Forget shooting houses and established blinds, food sources that have been hit hard all year, and normal waterholes.       Gotta look for those isolated trails, corridors, waterholes, and food sources.       End of the season is a whole different game.     Here we go.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »
Ooooo, I passed a good one yesterday!     I took the 20 ga. yesterday to let my wrist rest, so I decided to go into the thick part over by the coal mine, on the east side of the property.      I lost 2 deer there last year because it's so thick, but with a 20 ga. slug, I figured there'd be no tracking job.     There's the remains of an old road that run on that side of the place and it's a great travel corridor for the deer.     There's a 100 yd. section of the road that runs pretty much N / S and the winds were strong, from the north.      I knew of a section of that area that opened up some, and had a bit of a clearing along the east side the old road.      I sat down in a briar patch (very carefully) with a small oak tree to rest on.     The brush in this area is fairly thin so that you can see through it somewhat, enough to tell if there's something coming down the road.     It was first light and I had just finished clearing a spot to sit down when I caught movement through the brush, coming left to right, up the road.     I raised the 20 and waited.      3 doe came through, then a little forkhorn.   They worked their way on up the road without stopping so I settled back in to wait.      Just a few minutes later, I caught more movement coming from the same direction.      I raised the gun again and waited.      A very nice 8 point with tremendous mass stepped into the lane and stopped, looking on up the road.      I guess he was watching the other deer that had just come through.     I had a chance to look him over very well, but decided to let him walk.     He looked to me like a 3 year old;  no belly, no brisquet, thinner at the flank than a the chest, no swayback, and still a bit of a bottlenose.     I got to watch him for about 3 or 4 minutes and all I kept thinking was "Boy, he''ll be a GOOD one next year, and season's almost over", so I decided to let him walk.     He had more mass than the 8 I got on the 8th, but he still has some growing to do.     He'll be a great buck next year.      I've decided that if I take another buck this year, he'll have to be a real monster, or at least bigger than anything I've killed before.       I know there's big bucks over there, much bigger than him.
   Weather changing some over the next few days.     Wind switching direction, temps warming then cooling.      South winds tomorrow, low around 50* tonight.       Gonna try to get back out Sunday morning.
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »
I sure like this time of the season.     There's more competition for does, you get to see all the bucks and some new bucks, as soon as one of the does that hasn't come in yet hits estrous everything goes crazy,  all the bucks are looking for that one last date, you get to do some things you couldn't do earlier in the season, it's a really fun time right now!       Saw a lot of deer today.      Saw a high-basket 8+ today that I hadn't seen before, but he needs to grow.      Saw "Lucky" for about 2 seconds while I was walking down LRDR.      He crossed about 50 yds ahead of me but didn't stop.     It's hard to read their body language right now.    Some bucks look like they're on the trail of a hot doe, others are walking around like they don't have a care in the world.      Most of the does are in groups, I've seen bucks together and alone.       I'm not sure where this phase of the rut is at.      Sure wish I hadn't missed a week!      Kinda lost track of the activity.       It sure is fun seeing this many deer though!!
  80% chance of rain tomorrow.  (BOY, I like saying that!!)     I'll take the day to get some other things taken care of and be back out Tueday, if possible.     The wind should be back to a northerly direction by then  (SE right now).    We'll see.

NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »
Not much movement today.    Very windy.      Saw 4 does early, then a forkhorn about 9:00 a. and that was it.      Left at 11:30 to get the last of my Christmas shopping done.     May not have much in the way of funds to finish out the season, but maybe Santa will bring me a bank!!      @--0--0103      Weather looks good for thursday so I may get back out then.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »
Went out Friday morning and came face to face with a nice buck.    I was still hunting from south to north, through the middle of the place.     I had sat by a big cedar tree for an hour without seeing much so I decided it was time to move.    I grabbed the bow and started working my way towards an old cabin that's on the place.      The trail I was paralleling leads to the opening where I saw that nice, young 8 point back on the 16th.      I got within eyeballin' range of the opening and stopped to scope it out.      Didn't see anything so I eased on out and a nice 8+ was standing in the trees on the other side of the clearing, looking at me.     I was squatted down so he wasn't sure what I was at first, but it didn't take him long to figure out it was time to go.     He didn't blow at me or anything, just turned and walked into the trees.       Sure was wishing I had a rifle with me!!
  Had a great CHRISTmas and will try to go out again tomorrow, but it's supposed to be raining.    Yep, more rain!!     We'll see.      Merry CHRISTmas, everyone!!
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 04:09:37 AM »
 Stayed in McLennan county yesterday.    Misting rain and sprinkles all morning.      Saw 2 small bucks and some young does around 8:00a.     I guess the secondary rut has come and gone.      The little bucks weren't in "hunt" mode, judging by their actions.      Or, they could be waiting on that last little doe to come in, I don't know.      Wish I hadn't missed those days in December.
  Going over to east Texas for probably the last time this morning.     Time to get in there with 'em! 32* right now,  North wind at 8 mph,  humidity 88%,  dew point 29*,  barometer 30.19.    High around 60 today with north winds of 5 to 10 mph.     No holds barred today!!      Time to break out the little bag o' tricks!!      Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:48 AM »
Lots of fun yesterday!!    No deer down, but had lots of fun!!     North winds yesterday so I started out in the creekbeds, working south to north.     Jumped a hog as soon as I got into the creek.      Still dark so I didn't see it, but I heard it.      Froze and waited a few minutes to be sure I wasn't standing in a herd of them.      That'll get the blood pumping!!!      Got to the first fork and sat for about 45 minutes, waiting for first light.      Water back in the creeks so I worked from hole to hole to try and catch something watering.      Saw lots of fresh tracks (deer, coyote, and hog) but didn't see anything.     Got over to the east side of the property where it's really thick and jumped something but couldn't see what.      Whatever it was, it made a lot of noise getting out of Dodge!!Figured it was a hog.      Only thing I know that'll make that much noise cutting through the underbrush.      About 100 yds. from where I saw Grumpy the other day.      Maybe.      I hope I can take him out one of these days so you all can see him.       Came up out of the creeks on the NE side of the place and still hunted my way SW over to the clearing in the middle of the property.  Got close enough to be able to see into the clearing but stayed in the trees.     Saw a forkhorn that was still all rutted up.      He came out of the treeline like he owned the place and, for whatever reason, decided that he was gonna show a little oak sappling who was boss.      He nosed it, marked it, made a small scrape in front of it, then started thrashin' that little tree like he was gonna kill it!!      Testosterone, baby!!!      He worked that little thing over for a good 15-20 minutes, pausing ever so often to look around to see who was watchin'.      Couldn't help but laugh but man, he was serious!!      After he gave that tree a lesson, he caught movement or something off to the west and took off doing that little strut they do, tail straight up and gruntin' all the way!!      Hilarious!!      Sat and watched the clearing for another hour or so, then decided to work my way up the old roadway, to the north side of the place.      Had made it almost to the old cabin when I jumped a nice buck.      He stepped out into the road, looked at me, gave a short snort and high-tailed it out of there!       Nice 8, but too young for this year.      Probably a 3 yr. old.      Have seen several bucks this year that will be 4 yrs. old or better next year, and some very nice bucks.      Makes me look forward to next year!!      Got back in the creek and worked my way back to the south side of the place, but didn't see anything else.     A very fun day!!!       Gonna try to get back out tomorrow morning.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »
Only had a couple of hours to hunt this morning.     Late walking in and got busted right away.    Too dark to see what it was, buck or doe.     Stayed up by the roadways today and didn't see much.   3 does and one small buck.     Thinking more and more that the 2nd rut is over.     Not seeing too much movement anymore.     Saturday will probably be my last day for this year.     We still have an antlerless and spike season coming up in January, but I don't shoot spikes and the number of does is way down this year.     I have only seen 4 roadkills this year.     We'll see how it goes Saturday.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:57:13 AM by 5114TX »
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 04:25:37 AM »
39*, calm winds, dew point 37*, humidity 92%, barometer 30.01.      New years eve!!      Gonna need to take care of business early this morning and get back home before all the fun starts tonight!!     Another front coming in some time today, probably later tonight.      Barometer down .28 points from 30.29.      Last hunt of the general season today.      Season actually ends Sunday but today will be my last hunt.      Plan on walking the entire property today.      It'll take all morning to do it, but it's crunch time.       Would like to get one more.       Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
Note to self:   In December, hunt when it's foggy!!!     I went out Saturday without a plan, just gonna walk around and see what I could see.      It was calm, clear, and fairly cold when I got there so I just started walking, slowly.       I decided to go check on a place I had taken deer from in past years but hadn't hunted this year.     Nothing special, just a lucky tree.      It's in the middle of an oak stand on the NE side of the property.     As I was working my way there, a thick, and I mean THICK, fog came rolling in.      By 7:45 I couldn't see 50 yds!      I sat down between a tree and some scrub brush trying to figure out what to do now.       Keep moving, give it up, head back to the car, wait it out, what.      This was going to be my last day on this property for the year, so I decided to just sit and wait.      At 8:25, I started to hear leaves rustling over to my right.      OK, what is it: deer, hog, squirrel, armadillo?      I could tell it was getting closer but still couldn't see anything.      A few minutes later, a very young doe came running through about 30 feet from me with a nice 6 point right behind her!     I thought all that was over!!!      I could still hear something over to my right and a few seconds later, two more young bucks came running through after her!   A couple of forkhorns.     Then a very nice 8 point came through!     Are you kiddin' me?     That one little doe had ALL the boys stirred up!     They ran down towards the clearing in the middle of the property so I stood up and was thinking about trying to work my way over there when another young 8 point came trotting through!      He was nice but not as nice as the first one.      It was about 100 yds. over to the clearing from where I was.       Didn't know if I should stay put and hope they come back through or try to go find 'em in that fog.      After about a half an hour, I started slowly moving that way.     The wind had come around lightly and was blowing in my face so I decided to move.      I had only made it about half way when here they came again!      The little doe first, then buck after buck!      I saw 5 different 8's, two 7's (one of which I think was "Lucky"), a nice, young 6, two young 5's, two forkhorns, and I don't know how many spikes and buttons!!     It was fun listening to them all grunting and "talking"!      Luckily, none of them got downwind from me so I got to watch for about 5 minutes or so.     I was looking for that biggest 8 and thought I had him when he stopped, watching the others running around..     He was about 35 yards when I took the shot.      MONEY!      He was broadside, facing to my left and I hit him good, right behind the front leg.     I hit the off-shoulder and didn't get a pass-through, but I knew he was done.      He went about 50-60- yards and piled up.     When I got to him, I realized he was the smaller of the two 8's, but I'm not disappointed.      Man, am I looking forward to next year!!     There's gonna be several really nice bucks to look for, including all the ones I was after this year but didn't get a shot at!!     I've never had 7 legal (although too young) bucks in front of me at the same time!      This one's going to be donated.       Hope it helps fill some otherwise empty tummys!      What a great season, and I've enjoyed sharing it with all my TH friends.      This has been a lot of fun!      Thank you also to Lee (Zos41) for being a great partner in the championship!!      Go ahead and sign me up for next year!!!!      I hope everyone had as much fun this year as I did!!!         OVER AND OUT!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:57:06 PM by 5114TX »
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
Congrats on a great season Bud!  I've really enjoyed reading all your journal entries. Sounds like you have a great place to hunt. I'm proud for you man!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »
Congrats on a great year...enjoyed your journal...thanks for sharing and best of luck next year!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
Congrats on a great season! Well written Journal, I really enjoyed the stories of your hunts. Texas is definitely a place I want to go hunt one of these days. I think it would be the perfect place to use my new Marlin 308MXLR!
Air Force Veteran

Online yari

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2012, 08:27:12 AM »
great buck. happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!!
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »
Conrats on the great season and the grand finally. That's a nice deer and a good way go close out the season.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

New Page 3

Google Ad