New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 5114TX's Hunting Journal  (Read 5929 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
Re: 5114TX's Hunting Journal
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 04:31:34 AM »
Finally getting back out this morning.    Been going crazy not being out there with all the activity I've seen the last week or so.    35*, dew point 26*, winds calm, barometer 30.24, humidity 69%.    Sunny today.    High 64*, winds north at 5 to 10, switching to south this afternoon.     Should be a good morning.      Here we go.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:34:08 AM by 5114TX »
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 05:11:16 PM »
CBNC!!  (Close, but no cigar!)      I set up on the east side of a knob in the middle of our place this morning.     At 8:10, had a young doe walk into a small opening nearby and tried to lay down, but the bucks wouldn't let her.    She had barely gotten down when a young 6 point came in and rousted her up.     He chased her around for about 5 minutes when another young 8 point came in and joined the chase.    He was all fuzzed up and didn't like that 6 point being there.    They postured a little and the 6 decided to give way.      At 8 :40 a bigger 8 showed up and got into the chase.     He was a nice 4 year old buck.       He squared off with the younger 8 and they had at it for a minute.     First fight I've seen this year, and they weren't kiddin' around!!     The younger 8 decided he didn't want any more and ran about 50-75 yards and stopped, looking back at the buck and doe.      The doe had gotten in a little thicket/grapevine and was laid down.   I guess they had been chasing her a long time as she looked really tired.    Tongue hanging, breathing hard, looked kinda frazzled.      The 8 was walking all around her, trying to figure out how to get to her.       Lucky for me, that brought him within bow range, about 35 yards.     I decided that, since he was so occupied with the doe, I could adjust my stance and get a shot.     I worked around and got in position.      He was about 30 yards now.     It was 29* when I got over there this morning and when I went to draw my bow, the handle made a little "pop" noise!!!     I'm glad I wasn't at half draw 'cause he stopped and they both looked my way.     I just froze.    They didn't bust me but they knew something was up and decided it was time to go.     CBNC!     I hope to make it out again in the morning.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:14:27 PM by 5114TX »
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 04:18:21 AM »
Gonna go look around on a new place this morning.    I was at the local coffee shop Thursday morning talking to some of the ranchers around here when a gentleman overheard us talking about deer hunting.    He lives about 10 miles from me and said he sees deer on his land all the time.   He offered to let me come out and take a look.     Been having too many other things going on here lately and haven't been out since last Sunday, so I decided to take him up on his offer.     We'll see.     He says there's not much on his place to attract deer but he sees them all the time.    Must be a travel route or bedding area.     49* right now, dew point 43*, humidity 76%, barometer 30.00, winds calm now but expected to gust over 40 later this morning.     Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
Well, I saw the buck I want this year!   Man, what a 9 point!!!    Huge body, long tines, mass, width, everything a hunter looks for.      He showed up at 8:20 yesterday morning walking along a fence row.      I didn't have a shot so I had to let him walk, but I'll be out there in the morning!!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:52:15 AM by 5114TX »
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 04:15:32 AM »
Not an ideal morning, but going anyway.     Southwest winds at 10 gusting over 20, barometer 29.84, dew point 67*, temp 73*, humidity 87%.      I'll have to try not to get hung up on one deer after seeing the one I saw Saturday.     Mr. Oliver said he had deer on his place and he wasn't joking!       I saw 5 doe and 3 shooter bucks Saturday, all before 10:00 A..    A 9 and two big 8's!   I just didn't have a shot on that huge 9 point.       Hope he shows this morning!!    Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 07:48:17 AM »
Too warm and humid yesterday, I guess.    Didn't see anything.      Cold front and some rain(?) coming through today.     Be back out Wednesday.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:43 AM »
Too windy and warm Wednesday so I'll try it today.    Much better conditions;   lows in the 30's, light winds, humidity 64%, dew point 32*, barometer 30.23 (up from 29.63 yesterday).      We'll see.       Should be a nice morning, regardless.       Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »
Haven't seen much the last couple of times out.    Weather can't make up it's mind-- hot, cold, hot, cold, etc..    Main pain has been the wind.     Another front coming in today.    Trying to arrange a trip tomorrow.     
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:42:36 AM »
Gonna follow a cold front/ squall line over to east Texas this morning.      Maybe Mr. Big will be out roaming when the rain stops.       54*, winds light/ northerly, barometer 29.91 and rising, dew point 54*, humidity 100%.      Here we go.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:37:44 AM by 5114TX »
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »
Saw lots of deer yesterday;  11 doe, 2 6's, and 2 forkhorns, but no shooters.       The initial rut is winding down.      No bucks behind the does yesterday.      Can't get a decent/ correct weather forecast for anything.      Getting everything together for Thanksgiving today, be back out for a few hours in the morning.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
Didn't make it out today.    Had too much to eat.   :P    If the wind is right, I'll try it in the morning.   Lows in the upper 40's tonight.     Humidity 100%, south winds 5 to 10.     I need to try and work up a plan to go out in the field with the landowner.    He keeps telling me about all these deer he's seeing during the mid-to-late morning hours.    They're used to him and pay him no attention.      The ones I've seen so far are looking GOOD!      Several nice 8's and the one BIG 9, and several others that have a few more years to grow.      We're in the mid-season lull right now so I'll make a few trips to keep up on things, but don't expect much more action on the big guys until about the second week of December.     We'll see.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 06:13:14 AM »
Guess it was National Duck Hunting day around here friday.    Sounded like a war going on, plus someone was burning trash upwind from me.     Didn't see anything. (Duh)     I'll take my shotgun next time out.    Maybe I can bag a duck or two.     Been very warm the last two weeks, but cold has built back in.    Lows in the 30's all this week, highs around 60.      Hope that bumps up the action!      I think the secondary rut will hit about the second week of December this year.   (Dec. 7th)    Maybe earlier if the weather will cool off and STAY cooled off.      Have always had pretty good luck in December, too.      There's not as many does that are still receptive during the secondary rut, and the bucks have to roam a little more to find a date.       Don't know if the drought and heat had anything to do with it or not, but I'm not seeing near the number of does this year that I usually see.       Makes hunting better because the bucks have to look farther, but I'm just wondering what happened to all the does.      Anywho, I'll be back out tomorrow morning.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 04:01:50 AM »
Heading out.   28*, north wind at 6, humidity 74%, barometer 30.20,   dew point 21.     Should be a nice, crisp morning.    Hope the deer are moving.      Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
Lots of activity yesterday.   Saw a total of 9 bucks and 5 doe, but no shooter bucks.    Everything from a forkhorn to a nice 8 point, but none old enough.     Saw deer all day long, from first light to 3:30p.      Beautiful day.    Light north wind, clear sky.      This cool snap has them moving.       No chasing going on yet.     No bucks following does.      Secondary rut about a week away.       May try to sneak out a while this afternoon, but probably can't go until tomorrow.      We'll see.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 05:36:56 AM »
Well, had planned on going out hunting corners this morning but thanks to our wonderful weathermen (who can't tell ya whether the sun's coming up in the morning) the wind's wrong.     All week the forecast was for "South winds 5 to 10 mph Wednesday".      Yesterday, it changed to "East wind around 10 mph for Wednesday".      Here it is, Wednesday, and the forecast is for "NNW winds 5 to 10, becoming variable this afternoon".      No telling what it will do!!     I realize meteorology is not an exactive science, but come on!      They should just have a generic forecast for every day;   "Cold, possibly hot.     Chances of showers, or not.      Wind from some direction, between 0 and 100 mph."     They would be right every day!!    I haven't been busted yet this year and don't plan on it, but nothing will get you busted quicker than "variable" winds.      I haven't hunted evenings much this year so maybe I'll try that.    By then, maybe I'll be able to tell what the weather's gonna do!
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

New Page 3

Google Ad