New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 5114TX's Hunting Journal  (Read 5931 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
5114TX's Hunting Journal
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:33:15 AM »
Opening weekend was OK.  Oct. 1st it was reasonably cool, in the low 80's, and the wind cooperated, although variable.   So far, I've only had the opportunity to hunt 4 times, but have seen deer every time.  Just waiting on the right shot.   Have seen one group of 3 does with 2 small fawns with them, and another group of 3 does minus the fawns.   Have seen 2 small bucks, a forkhorn and a little 6, following the does, but not running them yet.   I've sat at a pinch point between two drilling pads twice, down in the creekbed once, and on the pipeline easement once, and have seen deer each time.    Near record highs today, but a cold front coming in this evening.   90* today, in the 70's tomorrow with a north wind 20-25 and gusty.  Barometer has been holding steady around the 30.00 mark, give or take .10.    Gonna try it again this morning.   Here we go.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
Re: 5114TX's Hunting Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »
 Got in the woods at 5:45 this A.M.   Overcast and a pretty strong southerly breeze.   Hit some fog on the way over there.     Saw a nice buck about 15 miles this side of our place.   Wish he had followed me.    Set up between 3 small oaks with some scrub around them, in a low area near a draw leading into the creek.   Had something walk past me at 6:05 but couldn't see yet.    Hog, deer, who knows.     Cold front on the way but not going to be here until early tomorrow A.M.    Wind really picked up around 10:00.    Around 10:30, decided to do some still hunting.     Walked into the creekbed and went to one of the many forks in the creek.   Sat for an hour, didn't see anything, went to the next fork.     Sat for 2 hours, heard something up on top but couldn't see what.    Worked my way back towards the road, at the south end of the property.    Got back to the car at 2:40.    Going to try again Wednesday morning.
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »
good luck partner,
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »

keep after um and good luck! @--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:48 AM »
Hoping today might be a little better.  Two days ago the temps were around 90.   This morning, it's *44 and a nice N/NW breeze.   Very crisp.    Won't be able to stay long but I had to get out there anyway.    This $3.40+ and rising gas prices are killing me!     Found a convergence of 3 trails yesterday that I'll be sitting by this morning.    Lots of sign and one trail is heavily used.     A good thicket I can wallow into for cover.     Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:36 AM »
waiting to hear the shot     @--0--0101
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
Had a nice 6 minus 1 (5 point) around me all morning.   He was looking for love alright!    A legal buck, probably a 3 or 4 year old.    He looked like a hound with his head lowered and you could see he was on a mission.   Must be a doe "coming in" somewhere out there.   Winds were stronger than I'd hoped, about 15 and gusty.   Barometer a little higher, at 30.17, and the dew point was way down, at 36*.    Last quarter moon is tomorrow.     The 5 was the only deer I saw today.     I drew on him twice but didn't have a clear shot.     He wouldn't stand still!    I couldn't get him to stop for anything.      I grunted at him several times and I know he had to hear me as he wasn't more than 20 yds.    In the 40's yesterday, today, and tomorrow morning, with a slight warm up coming Friday, but still in the 50's for Friday morning.     I'll try again then.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 03:59:27 AM »
Nice clear morning.   Temps in the low 50's, barometer 30.05, dew point 46*, south wind at 5-10, moon just passed last quarter.    Seeing lots of deer by the roadways in the evenings now.    Saw 9 last night between my house and the lake, which is about 4 miles, mostly does but one nice 8 point.    Gonna try some still hunting this morning along the pipeline easement.    Start at the north end, keep the wind in my face, and slowly work south.   Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »
Well, it was a good morning!!!   Got a nice, fat doe at 9:10 this morning!   I sat on the north end of the property this morning until first light.   Wind was SUPPOSED to be southerly but was more N/E and very light.    Wasn't sure what it was gonna do so I just sat and waited.   It eventually turned out of the S/E.   I used the terrain, ditches and knobs, and slowly started working toward the south end.   I was coming up on the little red dirt road that runs through the middle of the place when I saw movement ahead.    Several does and one forkhorn were working their way to me on the pipeline easement.   I backed into a cedar bush and waited.   It took them an hour to work my way.    As they started getting closer, I gave a few soft grunts with my mouth and it got their attention.     Shame on 'em!     They worked over right in front of me and couldn't figure out where that grunt came from, so they started going to the other side of the clearing.    I drew my bow and held for probably 2 minutes until I had a good, clear shot.   I picked out the biggest doe and let it fly.     Best shot i could have made!!   Hit dead center (ack, ack)  in the "golden triangle"!!     Heart shot and she didn't go 20 yards and piled up, about 20 yards off the little red dirt road!!  Easy dragging from there!!   Fresh venison for supper tonight!!!
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
Congrats on the doe
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 04:02:23 AM »
66*, south wind @ 8 mph, barometer 30.11, dew point 60, humidity 78%.    Strong winds today, southerly 20+.    Gotta go try it anyway.   Staying in the creekbottoms, stillhunting.    Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 02:58:26 PM »
Dead zone today.   Nothing moving.    Very windy and warm (hot).    Got one shot at a hog on the walk out, but shot over it.     Guessed 60 yards, not quite.    Major cold front coming in Thursday.    I'll try it again then.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:03:15 AM »
Haven't been out since last Tuesday, but going out this morning.   Beautiful morning.    40*, barometer 30.29, dew point 40*, frost advisory, winds NNW and light, sunrise 7:40.    Forecast -   High around 70*, N wind shifting to S this afternoon.    I expect activity to pick up anytime now.     General season opens next saturday, Nov. 6th.     Should be a good morning.       Here we go.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »
Wow, what a fun day!!!   Had deer around me from 7:05 this morning until 1:10 this afternoon!!     From what I saw today, we have graduated from seeking to chasing.    Had a group of does come into the opening at the end of the little red dirt road at 7:05.   They wandered around, grazing for about 15 minutes.   They were acting very nervous and about 7:20 or so, I found out why.   A nice, young 8 point came grunting into the clearing and proceded to check the whole bunch.     He chased 'em around for a good 20 minutes before they disappeared into the timber.    I could catch a glimpse of them every once in a while and could hear him grunting, popping, and clicking at them, trying to get them to stop, but the does weren't having any of it yet.    After they moved out, another group of 3 does came walking in and the same thing happened, but this time there were 3 bucks after them; a young 6 point, a nice 5 point (that needs to go), and ol' Lucky, that 7 point.     This little opening is maybe 3 acres, and the guys chased those girls all over that place!    They chased them around for 10 or 15 minutes, then ran them down into the creekbed.     I lost sight of them, but could hear the leaves crunching and the sticks breaking as they ran around.      Never got close enough for any shots, but it was great just to see them just doing their thing.     Gonna go out again Monday.    I think business is about to pick up!!!!
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
Not as much action yesterday, but some.   Temps warming, wind picking up from the south.    56* , barometer falling to 29.95", and humidity rising to 82%.    Every doe I see now has a buck trailing her.   They are really chasing now.      It's to the point that, if a buck can catch a doe, he'll rough her up a little, pushing, pawing, and shoving her around.    If you're around central Texas hunting and have some doe-in-heat scent, now would be the time to use it!!    Saw one really good buck at 9:40, but only for a few seconds.    Couldn't tell what he was, other than a big bodied, tall tined buck with LOTS of points!!      Hope to see him again!!!     Another cold front coming in Wednesday night.    Strong winds Wednesday and Thursday,  30+.    Temps back into the 30's Friday morning with light, variable winds.      Sunny, low 60's Friday, the last day of archery only season.    The guns start blazing Saturday and I hope that will get some new bucks showing up on the place.     May go tomorrow, but more likely Friday.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

New Page 3

Google Ad