New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hunleys Journal  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
Hunleys Journal
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »
Started off my season in South Carolina with a miss, but enjoyed a great hunt.
Georgia bow season started great with a nice 8 pt in the pourong rain that I forget to enter correctly in the deer championship.
Alabama season started off getting busted not once but TWICE on opening day. Both the morning and afternoon hunts were windy we I was, afternoon was very quite with not much moving except the tree rats and the acorns raining like hail falling from the sky.
Oklahoma hunt starts this coming friday with the Kentucky hunt up at Fat Boys place to follow it cant wait to go on both of them.

TalkHunting Community

Hunleys Journal
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Hunleys Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
Stay after them...the season is young.  @--0--0101
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:11:35 AM »

keep after um and  @--0--0101
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Hunly

Re: Hunleys Journal Updated 10/20
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »
Well my Oklahoma hunt is getting off to a late start, was supposed to leave today around 1:00 and had some problems arise so I am not leaving here until about 4:00 am in the morning to head out there. That should put me there somewhere around 4 or 5 friday evening Im hoping. Just in time to check the rifle one last time have some good food and fellowship with friends then hit the sack for some SLEEP and get in the stand early saturday and wait on the big boy to show up. My friend out there says the deer are really coming to the wheat fields and the post oak heads good and movement has been steady at all times of the day. Most movement has been late afternoon so I hope I have a great report to post sometime during the day saturday, I didnt know this till today but they also have a fall smokepole season on the thunder chickens, hoping to maybe get a crack at a fall gobbler also. Well gonna hit the bed 4:00 am gonna come early.

Offline Hunly

Re: Hunleys Journal/Oklahoma Hunt
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:46:07 AM »
Got a late start driving out there, so I called the Possum and we met up for breakfast at the Cracker Barrell above his house, had a great time visiting and catching up. Well its back on the road for the rest of the 900 mile trip, I arrived in Ringling,Ok about 7:30 that evening after a steady day of hauling it down the interstate. Got there just in time for supper with the guys that were already there, my best friend from Louisana and fixed up a snapping turtle gravy with rice and man YOU TALK ABOUT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We then got up on things as we road around the ranch checking the wheat fields and post oak heads for deer locations to determine the mornings hunts seen alot of deer around everywhere we went. Got our locations picked out for in the morning and it was back to camp. That is day one on Friday.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:03:39 AM »
Saturday morning begins bright and early at 5:30 am as we get ready to head out. Get set-up where my friend has been getting some great pictures of a good buck crossing a pipeline right of way in the middle of a bunch of post oaks. The deer are moving really well Saturday morning as I get to see about 7 or 8 deer just right off the bat. He has a great crop of yearlings and 2 yr old deer on the ranch it seems as all of us are seeing alot of younger deer with not many big deer up and moving. Set in this set-up till about 9:00 am and see a few more deer, but nothing that I want to shoot. After heading back into camp for a quick bite I call up another friend that lives about 20 miles west of where we are hunting at on another ranch and we head to his place to do some scouting. This ranch hasnt been hunted in two years and it seems there is does and yearlings everywhere, not much pressure on them even when it was hunted. So we make plans to hunt it Sunday. Back to Patricks ranch we go to get in a little nap before going back out for the evening hunt. I set up on a POWER PLANT plot that I had him to plant this year and havnt been there 30 minutes and the deer start to come to the plot and feeder that is set up in it. Lot of does around , then right at dark a good buck comes slipping down the tree line, but cant tell if he is good enough to make Patricks standards that he has set, so didnt get to shoot at him. That finishes up the Saturday hunt, get back to camp to fix supper. Have a great supper of fried shrimp, alligator tail and crawfish ettufey. Stuffed now I stagger off to bed.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
Sunday morning Derricks heads out to hunt the other friend of ours ranch for the day. I decided to stay and hunt at Patricks ranch because I had seen a great buck crossing the road in front of me as I came from town Saturday night from getting ice. I head down into a post oak creek bottom about 7:00 that morning, pushed some deer out as I went in, not sure how many. Got me a brushed in spot in a fallen tree a set back to wait. Around 9:30 or so I had about decided I had messed my hunt up when I pushed the deer out as I went in. Few minutes later I hear some rustling around and look and see 6 deer coming toward me, there was 4 does and two small racked bucks(one four point and one spike). I wait until the biggest doe gets within 50 yards and decide to shoot her cause we needed some camp meat. After the smoke clears it sounds like a herd of cows running thru the woods, I give her a few minutes and then get up to go and see where she was laying at, she had run about 150 yards or so into a wheat field and died, the other deer where still standing right around so I eased up and found a good tree for a rest and picked out the young doe to put in the freezer. She dropped in her tracks. Then the work begins. Before I forget we had one heck of a storm out there Saturday night with about 2 inches of rain and several reports of tornados on the ground close by. We were all piled up and Patricks moms for awhile waiting to see if we would have to get in the cellar for awhile, but it passed east and south of his ranch, just some great beneificial rain for them.

Offline Hunly

Re: Hunleys JournalOklahoma Hunt
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »
Sunday afternoon we rode around the ranch doing some scouting from the UTV's, located alot of feeding areas that we hadnt hunted yet. Me and Patricks son spotted a nice buck moving thru a wheat field and decided we would try to set up on him for that afternoon. We set up in the yard of an old farm house under some cedar trees for cover, we got in there and was ready to go around 5:30-5:45. We had been setting for about an hour with nothing moving, Baylor whispered to me you ever tried rattling any, I told him yea I had. He said lets try it, because I never have, I agreed and got the RATTLEBOX out of my back and did several short series of rattles and grunts for about 10 minutes on and off. Around 7:00 he says buck coming thru the thicket to the left of us. RATTLEBOX WORKS. We watch him working toward us from about 200 yards away, he comes up the bank of a small tank pond and stops, I move around the tree so that I can get ready to shoot, because Baylor says he is to little for him to shoot, Patricks standards for him are higher than they are for us. Anyway I ease around the tree and get ready to make the shot, all he will give me is a frontal chest shot and ya all know how hard they are to make. So I shoot and after the smoke clears he tears back toward the thicket he came from, we gave him some time and waited. We walked out to where he was standing at next to the pond. Find some blood, but not much. We tracked him for about a half a mile and lost his blood trail. Never did pick it back up, so we were not sure how good of a hit it was. Looked for a couple more hours in the dark to no avail. Went back Tuesday morning to look again and had no luck. So I have a nice 8 pt that would probaly go 120 to 125 hit and we cant find him. Patrick thinks he will at least find the rack in a few days if he was hit good enough. Well had to load up and head toward home without any bone. Got in home this morning around 3:00 am. I am know re-packing and getting ready to head to Kentucky in the morning up to Ron's place with the Possum in tow. Gonna leave her around 5:00 am, will check in later.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »
Well we have arrived in Kentucky to get ready to hunt in the morning. Got a phone call from my buddy in Oklahoma today on the way up here and they had found my buck, another guy finished it off. It was walking around with a badly messed up shoulder and really stunk he said. Gonna get the rack saved for me anyway. Borred one of WKH sd cards and was checking out a stand location, looks to be promising to fill the freezer. Nice a cool up here with rain around today, cold front coming thru, should have them up and moving. Seen several deer as we were looking at stand locations.

Offline Hunly

Re: Hunleys Journal/Kentucky Hunt
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Got in the woods this mornings just at daylight, dropped HM off at the climber he was hunting from and continued on into the hardwood bottom we were hunting for about 350 more yards. Had what I thought was a great set-up chosen with several trails coming thru. Very cool this morning with temps in the high 30's and winds were supposed to be outta the north @ 5, but I think the wind changed on us several times during the set. We stayed on the stands until around 9:30 or 10:00. Had nothing morning this morning, and other than the tree rats and hearing a couple of turkeys talking back and forth the woods was very quite. It started sprinkling rain around 8:30 and turned into a good steady rain for about 20 minutes, and guess what didnt have on enough clothes or take any rain gear with me. We left and went to eat breakfast at the PRAIRIE ROSE. Taking a small break then heading back in this afternoon to try  them again. WV and iluvslickheads will be in camp late this evening. Possum was the only person to see deer this morning, a spike, what he thought was a six pointer and a large body deer that he thinks was a small rack ten pointer. May we have better look this evening.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
Friday evening started off kinda slow with not much moving, then around 4:45 it seemed as if the woods came alive with movement. The first movements were the turkeys, they came from several different directions and ended up with 20 to 25 turkeys all around me. WKH failed to inform me that I could have purchased a fall turkey tag, would have loved to try to shoot one with the bow. Between then and dark I had several deer around me the rest of the evening, but none would come in and offer a shot that was close enough. So I went home dry with no meat to show for it. Had a great time in the woods just watching all the animals everywhere.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
Saturday morning rolled around and I couldnt answer the bell when it came time to head to the woods. Had a sick night because some dummy forget to take his stomach medicine before eating a bunch of spicy greasy food. So me, WKH and WV went on a shopping trip to UNCLE LEES, that place has everything you would want and then some. Met up with the other guys and went and hung stands and put out some feeders for WKH. Back to the PRAIRIE ROSE for some great GRAVY AND BISCUITS( guys that is one great place to eat). Got back in the stand for the evening hunt and all waas quite in the woods where I was at, set till after dark and seen no movement whatsoever, except the TREE RATS. If you ever want to go on a great TREE RAT hunt, ya need to call WKH and head up thewre, they are everywhere. Had another great meal at the ROSE and then headed into town for some shut eye and pack up to get ready to head out for home on Sunday morning. Had a wonderful time up there with a great group of guys, and cant wait to get together with them on another hunt when we can.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
Set-up this morning in FP#17 shooting house, got in there around 5:30 am in the pouring rain. Wind was 10 - 15 for most of the day coming from the southwest. Nothing moveing at all until about 8:00 when I got movement coming down the ridge at the south end of the food-plot. Watched two small does work their way down the ridge and disappear into the thick briar patches surrounding the food plot. Nothing else moved and nothing came into the plot, dont know where the two does went to, I think they bedded down in the briars. Set in the stand till around 2:00 pm then headed back to the house(wet and cold). Gonna go behind the house on the farm this evening, seen a couple of fresh rubs back there late yesterday evening.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
12/3  Went and set up a new stand on a hardwood ridge overlooking a nice creek bottom, set for about 2 hours and seen a couple of small yearlings. Alot of great rubs in the area.

12/4 Was very windy when I first got out this morning, went to the club land and got set-up in a oak hollow, after about 2 hours I had all the wind that I could take, so I got done and moved into the shooting house at FP 18. Wind has been steady all day today, looks and feels like rain is coming. Going here on the farm this evening, one of my best friends son is coming to hunt today. Nineteen years old and never killed a deer hope I can put him on a doe or something for him to break the ice with. Gonna head out in about an hour from now and see what happens, be in the stand by 3:45 and stay till dark.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 06:21:30 AM »
12/4 Didnt get to get in the stand this evening after all, Cody called me and said he wasnt gonna get to go because he had a history exam to study for. So spent the evening NOT HUNTING AGAIN(honey do list).
Get back in there thursday I hope, busy work week this week so we will see. One more week and then Im off for 2 STRAIGHT WEEKS of chasing whitetails cant wait till then.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad