New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hunleys Journal  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Hunleys Journal
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
12/9 Didnt have time to hunt this evening, but gonna hit it hard in the morning, got my Tinks Miss November out cleaned-up and dusted off gonna put her to work this weekend and see if she will bring anything around. Almost forgot gotta little love-potion for her to wear also called MIKES MAGIC, gonna pair them up and let them work the majic potion I hope. Report back later.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »
Well friday was my last day of work for two weeks. I got into the woods friday evening and have been in there all day everyday since then. It has been some interesting times in the woods. I have seen very few deer and had alot of interesting things happen. Getting trailed to the stand by the yotes was very interesting to say the least, the weather has not cooperated at all. It has rained and gotten very hot. I cant figure out this weather deal. Gonna be dang near 74 degrees here tomorrow and the deer have just locked down. Gonna take tomorrow off and catch up on things here at home, then get back after them friday. Suppose to cool off again, dont think we are gonna have a sure enough bonafide rut.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 09:07:48 AM »
Hunted all day Friday, and still nothing moving. This is usually prime time for us here. Our deer are on extended lock-up I guess. After all the rain and checking the club roads for tracks, there seems to be alot of movement at night mostly, all the trail cams are only getting night time pics, with an occasional doe very very late in the evening right at or before the end of shooting light. The bucks are non-exisent with no pics of them at all even at night. This weather is the main reason I think the deer are not moving. Just to warm with not enough of a cold snap to really get them up and looking for food or does.Not hunting today or Sunday, still got all of next week before going back to work, we will see what happens. Long range weather dont look any better.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »
Well today was another bust. I am so frustrated with my deer hunting this year. I am begining to think Im jinxed or something. This morning got in the stand around 5:30 (no yotes following me this time). Camera that I have set up above this lock-on flashes not long after I settle in. I here movement coming my way and I think I have a chance, low and behold here comes three #&$^ dogs down the trail that leads past my stand. They all are hounds that have collars, so Im thinking they are someones coonhounds, left over from last night, anyway I let them go on their way. Get settled in good and about an hour later I hear very soft foot steps and I get all tensed up a ready, it stops and I assume from where the dogs came thru it sets off all the SNORTING and BLOWING HORNS in the woods, and they fly outta here fast.
Get down and move to a shooting house just to kill some time and stay in the woods, cause I know aint nothing else coming that way. Sit in the house until around 12:30 or so and havnt seen a thing. Said the heck with gonna try again tomorrow, in the rain it looks like.

Offline sc

• 4 Point
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »
Hang in there hunly. I'm with you on the warm weather and rain. Gonna try to hit it about 8 am tomorrow if not a down pour.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »
12/27 Got up and went to the lease land land, the WIND was terrible, stayed and hunted till about 10:30 and left. Went back after lunch and set up a couple of new stand locations.
12/28 Was in one of the new stands by 5:30 that morning heard some movement before daylight but couldnt tell what it was for sure. About 9:30 I crack another yote coming thru the pines about 100 yards out. Hunly 3- Yotes 0. Hunted for a while longer nothing.
Came back after lunch set another stand until almost 6:30 last night and didnt see anything, think Im gonna move to the very far reaches of the interior of the property and set up a couple of lock-ons for this weekend. Gonna get the bow back out this weekend.
12/29 Didnt get to hunt this morning(sick grandson). We may go ride around the lease and truck hunt today, see if I can see anything moving at all.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
Month of January was very slow with some movements later in the month. It has been an unusual season this year, alot of it I attribute to the unusual warm weather. Time to start planning for next year. Oh yeah its THUNDER CHICKEN TIME soon.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 08:10:28 AM »
Enjoyed following your journal this year, hunly!     Thanks for taking us along!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:57:17 AM by 5114TX »
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Hunly

Re: Re: Hunleys Journal
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 08:43:07 AM »
Enjoyed following your journal this year, hunly!     Thanks for taking us along!!
Just thankful I had the opportunity to be able to share my time in the woods with ya.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
Well turkey season has been slow so far with no kills. But I'm hopeful that changes. Getting ready to head to Oklahoma and Kansas in 13 more days, I can't wait.

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
Hunleys Journal
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 01:31:55 AM »
Hang in there brother. We only have 6 months till bow season opens in ky

Offline Hunly

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 06:02:37 AM »
Start my hunt here in Oklahoma in a few minutes, clear morning, should be a good day. Light breeze and 57 degrees

Offline Hunly

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
Turkey hunt in Oklahoma started out real slow as I mentioned in my other thread. Wednesday morning started out hot and heavy as we got on a hot gobbler that morning. We got set up on the bird before daylight and he was gobbling for a good while still on the roost. After about 30 minutes we heard him and a few hens fly down and started working up the hill towards where we set up on the edge of a wheatfield. He stayed in front of us at 60-70 yards for about 45 minutes putting on a heck of a show, but we just couldnt draw him into gun range.
This morning turned out to be a very thrill packed morning for us. We got on two birds before daylight. We walked in and set up on these birds and listened to them gobble for what seemed like an hour. As the birds were gobbling we kept hearing some movement in the brush across the small clearing we had set up on. After about thirty minutes we had two yotes bust out of the brush and make a bee-line straight to were we set up at. These yotes just knew that they had an easy breakfast of turkey that morning. It happened so fast when they busted outta there that I shot one that was about FIVE feet from me when I rolled her. As she lay there yipping the gobblers kept on talking. It was funny everytime the yote would yip the gobblers would sing out. After we drug the yote outta sight the birds flew done and started working their way towards us gobbling the whole time. I had the second gobbler at 30 yards and I SHOT OVER him, I guess. Anyway I missed my bird. But man what a rush it was this morning.
I have now arrived at 180 Outdoors up in Kansas for the second leg of this weeklong hunt, can't wait to get after them again in the morning. Matt and Devin are two great guys from what I have seen of them so-far. Will post more tomorrow.  @--0--0109    ##$%#113 Which way did he go???????@--0--0127 @--0--0125

Offline Hunly

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
Had a great morning here in Kansas. Got out there early and didnt here anything gobbling wind was just up to must to here alot. I called some around daylight and got no responses, so after about 30 minutes or so I moved locations to try and set up on another spot. Got out and did some calling still nothing. So I get back into the truck to travel to the other side of the property to give it a try. I decided to check the foodplot that I was setup on first before I moved and had two gobblers that came in there after I left. Go back to the truck to get my gun to try and put the old sneak on theses two birds. As I was working my way down the tree line I got to where I could see the plot and both birds where gone. I About that same time ole tom comes bobbing up the hillside toward me. I see him before he does me and hit the ground and do a small amount of belly crawling to get into position on him. He continues on up the hill to about 15 yards and I get to give him the ole DIRT FLOP. Got one more tag to fill, gonna try and fill it in the morning with the bow let ya know what happens.

Offline Hunly

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
Well guys and gals its been a whirlwind week for me. Matt and i got into the blind early Saturday morning and set up a couple of decoys in front of the blind. We heard gobbling soon after it got daylight, we had as many as four different birds gobbling around where we had set up. This continued for about an hour as we waited to see what was going to show.We set for almost an hour with nothing happening at all(no gobbling and no birds showing). We got to have a great visit with each other during this time. Then Matt says bird on the left, I couldnt see the bird coming as I was on the left side of the blind, we had not heard this bird say anything from the direction he had come. Came in silent as could be. Anyway as I was getting ready to get into position he got my movement even though I was in the left corner he still spooked. Then he turns and starts back to the beded down hen. As I draw my bow back he spooks some then but fans out and heads straight for the breeder hen we set up. As he starts to mount up on her I shoot and connect he jumps straight into the air and starts flying off to the right of our blind, we watch him fly and determine after watching the video that Matt was recording that the arrow came out about 60 yards away as he flew off. The bird landed on the neighboring property that they dont have permission for. We looked and searched as best as we could without going on the other property, but we never good find the bird. It was a great hunt even though we couldnt find the bird. We then went back to the lodge and watched the video again trying to see if we missed anything, but we still couldnt located the bird. I started getting ready to leave to come back and arrived back here around 12:30 or so this morning. It has been a wonderful week of turkey hunting for me as well as making some great new friends. I will be going back to 180 again next spring with both shotgun and bow in tow again. I cant wait to go again. If ya get a chance to book a hunt with 180 Outdoors please take the time to do it and go. Matt, Devon and Chris are great guys and awesome guides. They have lots of birds, we all passed on several jakes and the prospects for next year. Although a few of those birds have been EDUCATED a little more. Thanks Matt for a great time.

New Page 3

Google Ad