New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Possum's Deer Journal  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Possum's Deer Journal
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
To a Hunter life does not get any better then opening Bow season in Alabama...
I have worked hard the last couple months scouting, building Deer Highways, Pattern Deer with the W.I.S.E Software.
Yesterday was a awesome morning but I was busted walking the 1/2 mile into my stand and with the Coyotes getting in the last few howls at the moon before daylight.
Sometimes a perfect planned hunt does not go as planned and Deer do not move when you want them to move.
But Praise the Lord for a awesome day could have done better without the wind but thank you anyway God...
Attached is Cell phone Pic's of the area I hunted which the field is not planted but was a former foodplot not used in 5 years and backs up against a awesome hardwood hallow where Deer are using heavy between Feeding and bedding area's ... I will not give up on this stand.
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Possum's Deer Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
Stay after them brother, looks like a great set-up

Offline Possum

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
Day 2...
After Church and Lunch I headed back to a different area near by where there is a Elevated Box Blind on a area that my brother has been getting a lot of trail cam pictures at.
It was so hot time I walked 100 yards to the blind I was soaking wet the temp's in the House was I know 100 degrees otherwise the wind blowing perfect for a big guy like me...
3:00 PM out stepped the biggest Tom Turkey I have seen in the wild. He had to be over 25 lb's and was Black as tar and had at least a 11 Inch Beard I bent down to get my Camera and he saw me move and the ding of the camera didn't help any as he scooted across the Plot...
Hunted till dark and when the coyotes started howling and something bumped the shooting house leg (animal ?) I knew it was time to leave... It was hard to believe I was the only person that hunted today out of 22 members... Maybe they where a Lot smarter then I was but I would never seen that big Gobbler I can target for the spring...
Lord I had a awesome day!
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline BE_Huntin

• 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Looks and sounds like a great setup.  100 degrees? Man, that's a hot day to hunt.  We had mid 70s here last week and I was thinking that was to hot!!  Good Luck Possum!
Gone Thinkin'

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »

keep at um and be safe good luck!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:52:01 AM »
Well that's hunting Possum .  ##$%#116 %^$^ @--0--0101
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline hunterman7956

• Spike
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
That first pic looks ideal for a decoy setup, good luck !

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
22 members and you are the only one that hunted  --9-908 u da man possum
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
You are the man to stay in that boxstand in that heat...stay after them my friend!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BubbaBrown

• Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »
It was hot here too! I hunted a spot with thousands of acorns on the ground and falling steadily. I was afraid one would fall on my head and knock me out, but I didn't see a thing, no deer, no hogs, not even a squirrel. We have so many acorns this year, the deer don't have to move to get a belly full of acorns. They are barely using the food plots either. Still, it great to be out in the mornings, but not in the evenings. The mosquitoes here are as big as that turkey you saw! Cold weather coming in two days though, so that should help.
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
Possum....it was hot but I would still rather have been out there than working.....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Possum

Possum's Deer Journal Update 10/21/2011
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
You could not ask for a better Morning met my Brother and my nephew Jake at the Lease at 5:00 AM.
We split up went to opposite corners of the 4,600 Acre Lease....
I rode my ATV 1/2 way to my stand and walked through the field where it was laced with a heavy frost...
Got to my single seat ladder stand and spooked about 6 Turkey's out of the same tree Roosting.
I slipped my backpack off and dropped the dang thing and it slid about 25 feet down the hill.
Undo my HSS down the Ladder back after my back pack and climb back up my ladder stand just a sweating in 30 degree temp's.
All was perfect for couple hours except no Deer where moving. Acorns dropping from behind me then the Squirrels got upset for me being near there nest and set the woods ablaze with the alert barking.... 9:00 AM the Sun was melting the frost and dripping on me.. Now the winds started blowing and of course the wrong direction...  Chalk one up wrong for the weather channel... The wind was surpose to be 2-4 mph North by northwest
instead it started kicking South by Southeast at 8-10 MPH Wrong direction for me killing my ambush pinch point.
I climbed down and started to pull the card from my 3 trail cams I have in the area ... My brain must not have been working last weekend out of 3 cameras two where turned off...  @--0--0127...  Check by texting to my Brother that Jake is seeing Deer moving with a spike crunching acorns under his stand and a Doe bust him while 6 other Doe's and Button heads travel a ridge out of Bow range.
One of the Benefit of being in the Woods is some of the Camera shot you can get take this awesome picture of a Fogbow like a rainbow but caused from fog lifting from the tailwaters on Lake Mitchell below Lay dam and moving up the ridge.
Later during the week I hope change my luck in Western Kentucky.
Freelance Outdoor Writer

New Page 3

Google Ad