New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Need Help With Broadhead Choice???  (Read 4060 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: Need Help With Broadhead Choice???
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »
I did a review in the magazine for slick tricks. It was enough to convince me! My next broadhead will be one of the Slick Tricks as far as I'm concerned. http://www.slicktrick.net/

Muzzies are awesome too. I have had the 3 blade 125s in the past and not much slows them down.

Duane,
How do you get the muzzy to fly true?  I could never get but maybe one out of a pack to fly right. 
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »
Duane,
How do you get the muzzy to fly true?  I could never get but maybe one out of a pack to fly right.

If the arrow to draw weight to broadhead weight are all in sync, which knowing you I am sure they are, then they should fly pretty true out of the box. But what I would do on mine is install the broadhead, then heat up the arrow shaft on my ALUMINUM arrows around the insert and twist it so the braodhead blades were in line with the fletchings. It worked great for me?

Do NOT heat carbon arrows! Best you can do is install the broadhead then re-fletch the vanes to match the blade allignment.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
that's why I don't buy prefab arrows...bare shats and have what I want and how I want them...also use the replacable nocks that can be turned slightly one way or the other to bring the arrow that last tiny bit on to the desired POI...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline deerjunkie

• 6 Point
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »
Duane,

If the arrow to draw weight to broadhead weight are all in sync, which knowing you I am sure they are, then they should fly pretty true out of the box. But what I would do on mine is install the broadhead, then heat up the arrow shaft on my ALUMINUM arrows around the insert and twist it so the braodhead blades were in line with the fletchings. It worked great for me?

Do NOT heat carbon arrows! Best you can do is install the broadhead then re-fletch the vanes to match the blade allignment.

Check your broadhead tuning by spinning the arrow like a top.  If it wobbles where the broadhead screws in then it is out of tune.  heat it up where the insert is, just enough to spin the broadhead and the insert a couple of times.  This will spead the insert glue evenly inside the arrow and take the wobble out.  May take a couple of times but remember to line your arrows up to the fletching.

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Duane,

Check your broadhead tuning by spinning the arrow like a top.  If it wobbles where the broadhead screws in then it is out of tune.  heat it up where the insert is, just enough to spin the broadhead and the insert a couple of times.  This will spead the insert glue evenly inside the arrow and take the wobble out.  May take a couple of times but remember to line your arrows up to the fletching.

I shot the Muzzy broadheads about the first two years I bow hunted, I didn't know squat about them or arrows or anything then, I just wanted to stick something... I have spun fixed heads since then (G5 Montecs) and they flew fine after heating my inserts and sealing them level (I have even went as far as to put a little level on my inserts),  After my fixed blade escapade I swapped to spitfire mechanicals... I loved them and don't really know why I swapped to Rage but I know I won't go to anything else until something drastic happens with them.
Everyone is going to have a preference for fixed, mechanical, rage, muzzy g5.... And not everyone will like certain broadheads.. there is a ton of them out there nowadays and really all are capable of great blood trails and lethal kills as long as the shooter makes the right shot.

Thanks ya'll... I might break out the old Muzzy 100's for a slickhead in about two weeks  %^$^  I know the Muzzy will go through shoulder blades with ease  ;D
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »
Magnus Stingers or Buzz Cut fixed 4 blade because:

(1) Majority of deer I shot with this broad head dropped in their tracks traveling 0 yards; a few went 10 yards and only one went 40 yards. Makes tracking vey easy!

(2) Their warranty. If they break put it back in the blister pack it came with. IF you eventually break three; mail them back and they send you 3 new replacement blades. I have yet to use that warranty but it is nice to have it.

(3) Fixed are easy to re-sharpen. I have used the same broad heads over several seasons. Results are noted in #1, above

%^$^ %^$^ %^$^ %^$^
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline tkeen6

• Fawn
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 06:59:07 AM »
Thanks for all your help, I went to the local bow shop last week and he talked me into the G5 T3's. I havn't had a chance to try them out on a deer yet but the practice blades fly good. If these don't work I will go with a fixed blade and be done with it.

Offline ebabin4

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
i shoot both Rage (expandables) and slick tricks (fixed). Have not had any issues with either one
"Take a kid hunting and fishing..........
He won't grow up stealing and dealing"

19 years hunting experience

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 09:29:08 AM »

G5    T3'S   they worked for me last week no issues!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline tkeen6

• Fawn
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »
Update, it took me a while but the G5 T3's were the ticket. I downed a 4 point this morning!!!!!!! Finally got this monkey off my back, I hate to loss an animal I never did find the doe I shot the first day. Thanks again for all you input.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »
Update, it took me a while but the G5 T3's were the ticket. I downed a 4 point this morning!!!!!!! Finally got this monkey off my back, I hate to loss an animal I never did find the doe I shot the first day. Thanks again for all you input.

Way to go congrats!

make sure to post some pics!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »

Congratulations!!
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »

Congrats on the forkhorn, tkeen6!!     Glad the t3's worked well for ya!!!     Way to go!!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Double G

• Spike
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
I prefer the G5 100 gr. fixed 3 blade.  No moving parts to fail on you, shoots like a field tip, and easy to re-sharpen.  Have shot many hogs and doe  and they hold up well.  Have not had one chip or break on me since I started using them.

Offline tkeen6

• Fawn
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »
I am sorry I didn't get any pics forgot my camera. It wasn't my best buck by far, but it has been a very slow season for me anyway. I was very happy when he walked out. Thanks guys

New Page 3

Google Ad