New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: having a strange problem....  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
Re: having a strange problem....
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
No pins guys I shoot instinctive...which is why this makes no sense to me...and every thing was fine until the other day...I was thinking that it's gotten to be target panic? because of a few off shots...now I can't stop over thinking at 2o yrds?

Didn't catch you were shooting without pins GAL, sorry. Most likely it is target panic then. Try shooting a touch different. What I mean is that typically an archer will have a system you use in your mind each time you shoot, such as "draw, anchor, aim, release". On the release we might be concentrating on one specific thing... our flex in our holding wrist, ease of finger on the release, etc. Change it up. For me, I use a string release on a release loop on my string. I typically concentrate on easing my finger on the release so as not to "jerk" the trigger. If I encounter something that gets in my head like that I may use my elbow or pull my shoulder back to pull the trigger just to give my mind something else to concentrate on for a couple shots. You may find it breaks the cycle.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 07:52:30 AM »
Thanks guys well...this strange thing has persisted but staying just at 20 yards only has cleaned things up a bit...I'm now in a consistent 5 in group....Rain for the last 6 days has kept me out of shooting much ...but the cycle has broken and now rain in forecast from now until opener...so I'll be out in earnest getting the 20yrds down to a no more than 3in group....funny the things ones mind gets fixated on @--0--0137...I also use a D loop and concentrate on the squeeze not pull...for this year is the first year not shooting fingers

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »
going to a release on my recurve was just about the hardest thing to get used to...I never had sights on mine either it was see, draw, see, shoot...happened in about 1/10 of a second...worked on it after the season ended until I was shooting the same as with fingers (actually my accuracy improved) but it was an all up hill battle...one of the things that I used to forget was your anchor stays fixed using a release...and in traditional you release on the top of the draw (I did this by racking my shoulders...) and you continue that motion with the hand..when I taught the cubbies to shoot I called it whipping the pie off your ear...good luck with the release and get them groups down and have fun...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline growalot

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
Pheww ...the spell has broken and I hit 3 dead center bulls eyes at 20yrds the other day...grouping is 3in and that's fine with me....pulled out to 30 and my groups were 3-4in and 2 bulls eyes....I am so raring to go...now if the weather would just cooperate....calling for rains winds first week end then temps in the mid to high 60's...I'm also so far behind....need to wash clothes tomorrow and make casseroles...and still canning tomatoes...two stands to tweek...never been so far behind...must mean I'm going to shoot a big one early ;D @--0--0137

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »
It's Bush's fault  --099-780
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 07:15:49 AM »
when was the last time you changed your string?
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline growalot

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
it's a new mission by Mathews Venture bow...but I've settled in on the twenty after shooting just that...and all other distances are still fine...mental thing I believe...Thanks for the advise and support everyone ##$%#1118

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 10:49:25 AM »
well if you were a guy could of be anything but mental we all know guys are brain less   ##$%#13     --099-780
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Lizette

• Spike
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »
Also, know your accuracy levels at different ranges and how much your bow will drop over different distances.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 07:18:45 AM »
When I started bowhunting, I used  a bare bow.  My accuracy wasn't the greatest, regardless how much I practiced.  It was not until I moved to a compound bow with a pin sight and string peep sight that my accuracy improved tremendously.  I had set my only pin for 25 yds, and I was putting dents in my arrows, my groups were so tight.  the problem I had was that I was shooting right handed, but my left eye is my master eye.  By going to the string peepsight, that forced me to use my right eye. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
grows: As you know, I'm an instinctive shooter also.  If this ever happens again, try just forgetting about what the actual yardage is, and just focus...REALLY focus...on your spot and just shoot.

If your form is solid, and if you're tight at other distances then it obviously is, then it's in your head. Stop thinking about it and shoot!
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline growalot

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
Hey WW...great seeing ya and Welcome to TH.....Ahh you know me always over thinking things...lol
Thanks for posting here for it got me re-reading this post....See I was right...it just meant I was to get a big one this year....that mental 20yrd thing just made me practice twice as much!! @--0--0137

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
You can never practice too much! 

And thanks for the welcome!
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
How old are your arrows?  Sounds like you shoot a lot, the arrow spine might be getting weak.  It might be time for new arrows.
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

New Page 3

Google Ad