New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Effect of drought and heat on this years rut.  (Read 749 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
Effect of drought and heat on this years rut.
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
After the hottest and driest summer on record, I'm wondering how that will affect this years rut.   Will it be sooner, same as usual, or later?    If past experience tells me anything, it will be sooner around here.    We have finally seen some relief from the heat, but it's still very dry.   We are about 10" to 12"  behind for the year on rainfall and most predictions are calling for a drier than normal winter also.    Different areas of the country will have some different factors to consider this year as far as when the rut will hit in that area.   The NE has been very wet, the south very dry and hot.    The midwest has seen some pretty cold temps already.    I think the rut will come in early here.   Any predictions on how your summer weather will affect the rut in your area?
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
Re: Effect of drought and heat on this years rut.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »

we had some dry times during the summer it will be intersting to see what happin come the rut  will let youknow if we see any change to the pattern or timing of it around us !
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »
After the hottest and driest summer on record, I'm wondering how that will affect this years rut.   Will it be sooner, same as usual, or later?    If past experience tells me anything, it will be sooner around here.    We have finally seen some relief from the heat, but it's still very dry.   We are about 10" to 12"  behind for the year on rainfall and most predictions are calling for a drier than normal winter also.    Different areas of the country will have some different factors to consider this year as far as when the rut will hit in that area.   The NE has been very wet, the south very dry and hot.    The midwest has seen some pretty cold temps already.    I think the rut will come in early here.   Any predictions on how your summer weather will affect the rut in your area?

I just posted 3 trail cam pics of a pair of young bucks fighting in trail cam still heading. I also found a big boys fighting ring about 50 yards behind trail cam. I thnik we are going to have an early rut, LIKE STARTING NOW. I think some of the early spring fawn dropping does could be coming into season.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:33:54 PM »
I dont know how it effects the rut, but on dry years a buck will not reach his full rack potential.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
I don't believe it effects the rut as much as the size of the racks as there is normally going to be less high qualify food during a drought year
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
most deer we see on our trail cameras are looking mighty thin this year. hoping our food plots will be there for them.
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 09:55:36 AM »
I don't believe it effects the rut as much as the size of the racks as there is normally going to be less high qualify food during a drought year
Yep, and that's when supplemental feeding is A MUST!!!   That's the advantage of a year'round feeding program.   If you have food plots, feeders,(with more than just corn in them) and some high protein and fat suppliments, they'll do good.   If not, don't look for any big racks.    Hunters with any kind of food source are gonna have a definite advantage this year.
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »
Yep, and that's when supplemental feeding is A MUST!!!   That's the advantage of a year'round feeding program.   If you have food plots, feeders,(with more than just corn in them) and some high protein and fat suppliments, they'll do good.   If not, don't look for any big racks.    Hunters with any kind of food source are gonna have a definite advantage this year.
Here in NY we can not feed at any time or use any type of supplements
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »
Here in NY we can not feed at any time or use any type of supplements
Sorry to hear it.   No food plots either?
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

New Page 3

Google Ad