talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: What is the best Hunting App for Smartphones?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
What is the best Hunting App for Smartphones?
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »
Ok, there's a lot of talk on here about apps for Smart Phones that help you with Hunting.  Let's make this thread the one stop place to compare the different apps.  If you have a Smart Phone with a Hunting App installed that you've used please tell us it's name and list all the features that make it a good Hunting App.  This will help those of us who have yet to purchase an app get the right one without waisting money on the wrong app that doesn't do everything we want it to.       
AKA 69Viking
2013 Team #24 - Venison Snipers
Air Force Veteran
QDMA Member-Florida Gulf Coast Branch-Okaloosa County Coordinator

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Re: What is the best Hunting App for Smartphones?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:16 PM »
Bubba had a list of hunting apps on another post just a few days ago that I saw, I was gonna go back and find it, just havent gotten that far yet, this woek thing keeps getting in my way.   ##$%#1118
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, KXMC-CBS13

The Lean, Mean Hunting Machines

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »

there are a few i am waiting for our sponsor to have there app for the Andriod i want to check it out!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
Bubba had a list of hunting apps on another post just a few days ago that I saw, I was gonna go back and find it, just havent gotten that far yet, this woek thing keeps getting in my way.   ##$%#1118

I saw the list Bubba had but I want more than just a list.  A lot of them cost money to download and it sucks to download an app only to find out later that there is a better one out there.  I'm hoping people will list apps they've had experience with and list the features of them and their likes and dislikes! 
AKA 69Viking
Air Force Veteran

Offline savagegal

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • 2 Timothy 1:7
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »
I'm waiting for any input on this myself - good idea, Viking !
NRA member QDMA member
Team "Herbivore Eliminators" 2011

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • R-I-P "Big John"
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »
Okay I have purchased the Cabelas Recon App for the iPhone. Features include gps mapping, ballistics info, maps much like google earth, a neat blood trail feature, moon phase info (but does not show major/minor periods...just phases, sunrise/sunset etc), compass.  You can use it to keep a journal and even load videos and pics into different functions. I'm sure I'm missing some things but so far I'm pretty impressed with it. IMO it would be complete if it had peak hunting times (major and minor moon info). Well worth the $5.99 IMO.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »
Okay I have purchased the Cabelas Recon App for the iPhone. Features include gps mapping, ballistics info, maps much like google earth, a neat blood trail feature, moon phase info (but does not show major/minor periods...just phases, sunrise/sunset etc), compass.  You can use it to keep a journal and even load videos and pics into different functions. I'm sure I'm missing some things but so far I'm pretty impressed with it. IMO it would be complete if it had peak hunting times (major and minor moon info). Well worth the $5.99 IMO.

Thanks Russcat, I just read up on it on Cabela's site.  I'm curious though as how the GPS aspect of it works without any data or cellular signal?  Where I hunt is remote and there's no Cell signal.  If you get a chance check out this feature and let us know how this works.   
AKA 69Viking
Air Force Veteran

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • R-I-P "Big John"
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
I marked several waypoints yesterday with no cell signal and it all worked. You have to turn the tracking function on to do this.  I'm still trying to learn it but it seems to work as advertised.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline HoytShooter

• Oct/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Shoot Straight
    • My home page
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:17 AM »
I have the Cabelas one, Scoutlook and Track Back.  Scoutlook and Track Back were $1.99 each and Cabelas was $4.99.  Cabelas seems a little too much but I really am looking forward to using the tracking feature of it. 

Track Back is real nice as it is really just designed to mark locations and then "track back" to them.  You can set your base camp and all your stands.  I think it will make finding stands in fog or total darkness a lot easier.

Scoutlook I did not do much with yet.  Looking forward to playing with it more as well but the season has just started.

All of these require GPS only.  Data is only needed to download the app.  Once you have it you should be able to use it anywhere although sometimes in thick woods the GPS signal is not the best.

Anybody know when the deer diary droid app is coming?  I wanted that to start the season but so far nothing.  I have tried to email them from their website contact us link and everything gets returned.
Proud father of a Daughter serving in Navy
'11 Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus Blackout Bone Collector w/Z3 Cams
'12 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT Bone Collector
41 years of hunting and fishing.
NRA Life Member

Offline Snortweeze

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »
Good topic, I am wanting to hear what the good and bad ones are before I buy.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Illinois farmer
Proharvest Seeds sales rep

Offline cobrican

• 12 Point
    • Sawyer Consulting LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »
I have the Cabelas one, Scoutlook and Track Back.  Scoutlook and Track Back were $1.99 each and Cabelas was $4.99.  Cabelas seems a little too much but I really am looking forward to using the tracking feature of it. 

Track Back is real nice as it is really just designed to mark locations and then "track back" to them.  You can set your base camp and all your stands.  I think it will make finding stands in fog or total darkness a lot easier.

Scoutlook I did not do much with yet.  Looking forward to playing with it more as well but the season has just started.

All of these require GPS only.  Data is only needed to download the app.  Once you have it you should be able to use it anywhere although sometimes in thick woods the GPS signal is not the best.

Anybody know when the deer diary droid app is coming?  I wanted that to start the season but so far nothing.  I have tried to email them from their website contact us link and everything gets returned.

I asked on Facebook and they told me the Droid App of Deer Diary will be out THIS WEEK!
Sawyer Consulting LLC
Consultant for hunting Properties
Forestry & Wildlife Management
-Licensed Commercial Applicator
-Friend to TH Members
-Promotional Marketing for hunting companies
www.sawyerconsultingllc.com
Blue Collar Decoys; Gulf region sales rep

Offline denvan

• 6 Point
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:20:14 AM »
I have a great App. It finds the best place to hunt within 100 miles of your house, drops a pin, shows you where the trails, feeding and bedding areas are, points out the best ambush sites, picks out the best place for a brush blind,finds all the scrapes and rubs in the area, emits and electrical wave that draws in only B & C size bucks, it can be programmed to fire any cal. bullet that you want at any vel.,locates the nearest deer processing place and contacts them for you, they come out and field dress your deer then take it and butcher it, you can even pay for it with your iphone. You can find this at:
www.technigeek/lazyguy/wannabehunter/.com  Oh yeah, and it's free!!
Come on guys, a hunting App? Really? The day is going to come when the only muscle left on a human being is the index finger!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:52:47 AM by denvan »
remember: aim small, miss small

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • R-I-P "Big John"
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
I think Denvan would be happy with only a spear and a slingshot  @--0--0105
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
I want something that I can mark locations and make notes with for future reference.  All I'm looking for is something to replace using a hand held GPS and then having to write everything down.  I have a ruggedized smart phone so why not use it to make taking notes on hunting locations easier.  Pen and paper work great until you're out in the woods in the rain.  My phone on the other hand is water proof. 

I figured out my phone also has a GPS receiver in it that has to be turned on to work in areas where there is no cell signal so answered my own question there!  It track location by one of two options, by Verizon's cellular location services or by GPS.  They recommend if you're in an area that has a cell signal to use the cellular location services as that uses less battery power than the GPS service.  Sounds like the competition might be down to the Deer Diary app and the Cabela's app.  I'll be interested to see how those two compare. 
AKA 69Viking
Air Force Veteran

Offline denvan

• 6 Point
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »
I think Denvan would be happy with only a spear and a slingshot  @--0--0105
russcat, you couldn't be more right! I would rather see hunting go back to throwing stones than to see it evolve into all of this hi-tech gadgetry that is stunting the abilities of people to figure things out by using their brain instead of their index finger. You are right if you think I am an old fart, that I am and proud of the fact that I learned to hunt old school. When I started bow hunting, the state of the art bow was a recurve, you learned to find your way around the woods with a compass and by paying attention to landmarks, there was no such thing as trail cameras, we had to go look for scrapes and rubs and trails etc. The gadgetry is cool, but learning how to become successful at deer hunting with nothing more than the intelligence that God gave you is better! But that's just my opinion, what do I know?
remember: aim small, miss small

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com