New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bow Hand Exercises?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
Bow Hand Exercises?
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »
 I've got an older compound and it's kind of heavy for me. I can draw it just fine, but holding it steady with my bow arm well...my bow arm is weak right now after taking time off of exercising thanks to my SI joint.  @--0--0127

I'm not going to be able to make the opener this year, but I'd still like to get out later this season if possible. I was wondering if anyone had advice for getting my bow arm back in shape (other than shooting, of course, since I'm already doing that when I can  ;)). I have a couple of dumbbells and have been using one of them to hold out like my bow. I figure that's better than nothing, but wanted to check if there were more "official" archery exercises, ones that have withstood the test of time already?  ##$%#1119

Thanks!  ;D

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
Re: Bow Hand Exercises?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »

iam not sure but my memory tells me there might be a some tye of  like rubber band system  you can use to pull and strengthen your arms for a bow???

for some reason that is hitting me ...

Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
we there is a band type rig that you can get. i think all the major outdoor magazines have it.

other than that, i would say get back to the basics. push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups/crunches. i know, you are saying sit-ups? well, your stomach is the is the center of your body and has a huge impact on how the other muscles perform. since you have some wts, you could also do bent over rows. this will simulate pulling your bow.

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »
Sorry, let me try this again.

I shoot right handed. I'm not having any trouble pulling the bow string, just holding the actual bow itself steady with my left hand/arm. It's heavy and is wobbling too much to get a very good sight picture. :P

I have the rubber band thingy, I generally use that in winter when it's too cold to shoot.

Been doing a new exercise regime and that's been going well. Just need to beef up my lower left arm, since that's the muscle that's fatiguing much more quickly than everything else. Looking for an exercise that will target that specific muscle group.

I suppose  I could go back to batting practice? That always worked the lower arms quite a bit, lol!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:50:06 PM by cuzsis »

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:18:10 PM »
OK, now i know where you are targeting. forearm curls would help. put your forearm on your thigh while setting and curl a weight moving just your wrist. your wrist should go below parallel on the way down and to almost 90 degrees in the up position

you could also tie a rope on a one end to a dumbell and the other end to a round piece of wood like a broomstick. hold both arms parallel to the floor w/ your hands on each side of the rope on the broomstick. then wind the bumbell up and down several times   

both are great forearm exercises. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 03:20:22 PM »
I would get a 5 or 7  pound hand weight an practice holding it in the shooting position.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »
rotator cuff workouts.... I use to do these when I played baseball and still do them to keep my shoulders in shape for bow hunting.

Take a 2.5 pound weight (you don't want to use too much because it will actually tear your cuff)
hold it in your draw hand straight out from your body, now make a 90 degree angle with your elbow to where  hand is facing up an your palm is facing straight out in front of you
Now do a back and forth motion with your hand in front of you but never lowering your hand past the height of your shoulder....

Maybe you understand,  it works for me

Good Luck!!!
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
Sorry, just seen it was your left hand/arm....  you can do forearm workouts with a bar or a light weight (heavy enough though you feel it working) were you curl the weight using nothing but your wrist.

Or invest in one of them shakeweight things and aways you go   @--0--0101
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »
Cuzsis, get a rubber ball about baseball size and just squeeze it as many times as you can.  It will build up all the muscles in your hand, fingers, and forearm.   Start with a softer rubber one, then you might want to switch to a tennis ball or a harder rubber one to get more resistance and build more strength.   Works for me, and you can do this almost anywhere.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »
 Wow, those are some great ideas! Thank you guys!

Sadly I missed out on early season because my back went out. Still have no idea what happened, but I'm more or less on the mend now. I'm getting ready to slowly get myself back out and shooting, I'll be using these ideas to work my bow arm when I'm not shooting.

Looks like work may be slowing down for me a bit (has it really been over a month since I last posted?! Eesh!). I'll miss the $, but I can't complain about the timing!  @--0--0105

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
Take care of that back, and I hope the exercises work for ya!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »
 I am! Absolutely itching to get out and do things again (including archery), but can't afford to miss work so I'm taking it real slow...

I'll post back on how the exercises do!

Offline Lizette

• Spike
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
   Donít grip the bow with your fingers. Let it rest in your hand. Use the 45 degree angled grip with the fingers off the bow.Keep the arm straight without a bend in the elbow.Keep the elbow pointing sideways, not down. Donít let it stick out into the path of the string.Push forward with the bow arm towards the target. Imagine the arm as a single unit and push with all of it.

New Page 3

Google Ad