New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Grouse Season is coming soon  (Read 845 times)

Offline Labsteve

• 6 Point
  • Got Ducks?
Grouse Season is coming soon
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »
Just read the latest on WI and MI Grouse and Woodcock. Not the first reports I have seen. Numbers look good and am anxious to get the dogs to the woods so I can start shooting trees. Just a few weeks until the Sept 15th opening. Hope you all can enjoy some of this also. Here is the latest report from the Traveling Wingshooter newsletter.

MINNESOTA was the top producer last year for ruffed grouse, with an estimated harvest of 465,000. That represented an increase of over 100,000 birds compared to the 2009 season, but that's at least partially explained by the fact that there were more grouse hunters last year.
Spring drumming counts decreased in 2010 after hitting a 40-year high the year before, but increased once more this spring. Weather during the nesting season was relatively favorable, which should mean another good season. The top area in the state is the DNRs northeast survey region. In general, hunting should be good everywhere the habitat mix contains more aspen and fewer conifers.
Although the estimated woodcock harvest was only 35,000, that's more indicative of a relative lack of interest than low bird numbers.

In  WISCONSIN, where hunters harvested an estimated 324,000 grouse last year, spring drumming counts increased 38 percent. Although that would seem to indicate an even better season this year, last year should have been the peak. For both grouse and woodcock, an unusually wet spring and early summer in much of northern Wisconsin may have hampered reproduction. The DNR runs summer brood counts that should give a better indication of grouse numbers for this season, and we'll provide them when they become available in early September.

Last year's woodcock harvest was estimated at about 53,000 based on DNR-conducted hunter surveys, and at 42,000 based on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Harvest Information Program (HIP). The more heavily forested northern half of the state will be best for both birds.

MICHIGAN led all states in woodcock harvest in 2010, with a HIP-estimated total of 93,000. Although there is no grouse harvest estimate available for last year, flush rates for grouse in 2010 were similar to 2009, and slightly higher for woodcock. Highest flush rates for grouse were in the Upper Peninsula (UP); for woodcock, in northern Lower Michigan.

This year's drumming counts in the UP showed an almost identical increase, at 37 percent, to those in Wisconsin. The counts were about the same as last year in northern Lower Michigan. The forecast for this year is similar to slightly higher for both birds. A late spring appeared to have hampered woodcock reproduction, but banders reported hens with chicks in June, which would indicate successful re-nesting - those re-nests nearly always produce smaller clutches than the four eggs no rmally brooded.
Benefit4Kids
HuntersEdgeLabs
NRA
Ducks Unlimited
Pheasants Forever
APLA
Survivor SummerBlast 2011

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Grouse Season is coming soon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
it will be interesting. i didn't hear much drumming this spring. i expected this w/ the hard winter.

the woodcock were thick this spring w/ the wet weather. i had many 'tornadoeing' at night around my cabin. it's fun to watch during a full moon.

good info. thx
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
Never hunted these birds but it is on my list, great info. @--0--0101 ##$%#115
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
I always try to get out grouse hunting at least a couple of times every fall. great fun to hunt
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

New Page 3

Google Ad