New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: new string caused bow to get weaker????  (Read 2584 times)

Offline OE

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
new string caused bow to get weaker????
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
I have an old pse mach flite 4.  The string broke so I brought it in and had a new one put on it.  I sighted it back in at 20 yards.  As far as I'm concerned, at that point my bow should have been on for my other pins as well, 30, 40, and 50.  Not even close all are way low and it gets worse the further out I am.  It's like my bow is considerably weaker now which is depressing as "censored Word".  Why would this happen?  I don't know much about bow's. Thank you for any input oh and I did not have the cables replaced only the string. winners choice if that matters.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
Re: new string caused bow to get weaker????
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
the string probably stretched so the weight might be less  is my guess
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:01:58 AM »
Perhaps the wrong length string or cable?   @--0--0117    Slide not working correctly?    @--0--0117  Draw weight was changed?   @--0--0117 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:10:39 AM by 5114TX »
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline theedz

• Button Buck
  • New Breed Archery
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:06:58 AM »
Do you use a peep site or Kisser button?  It is possible that either of those and/or your nocking point isn't int he same position.  With arrows going low, the accessories might be a little high.  Also it is possible that it is your strings.  They may not be the same number of strands or a lesser quality material, this too would cause some energy loss.  Another option is as mentioned the strings and cables are too long, thus resulting in your limbs not loading up as much on the draw.  The first thing I would do is check the specs.  Check the Axle to Axle, brace height, and tiller and make sure those are where the bow is suppose to be according to company specs.  A few twists here and there might be enough to get you back.
New Breed Genetix x 2
Octane NXS
Black Ripcord Rest
Octane Stabilizer
Easton Axis N-Fused/Slick Trick Mags/Easton X7 Eclipse

Offline MTOCONTO

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Safety Harness is not as confining as a wheelchair
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
The string is too long. My friend just put a string on his bow he purchased used and put a string 1/2" shorter because the draw length was a little long and it corrected the length and the bow was much faster after.
2009 Turkey hunting championship contestant (4th place)

2 Years following
33 years and counting hunting

Offline MN_Whitetail

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • MN Whitetail and Turkey Bowhunter
    • Birchwood Taxidermy
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:22:58 PM »
Replacing just the string will not change your weight much at all.  If it is a single cam bow your Y Cable will do most of the weight changing, hybrid cams the Y cable will still deal with the weight change, or if it is dual cam your two control cables will both need to be twisted together.   Go back to where you had it set up and make them crank your limbs to max weight.  Have them check the weight and if it is not at the max draw weight, for example 60 or 70 lbs. then have them put twists into the cable until the bow reaches where it is supposed to max out. Then set it to whatever draw weight your would like from there.  If you know the lengths that you need for the string and cables than that is what I would go buy and don't get anything shorter or longer than that. 

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
my guess is the peep sight was moved. did you paper tune it w/ the new string? it's possible the knock could have also moved.

i don't think it's the string itself. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline deerjunkie

• 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »
The problem is that the old string had stretched out, allowing the limbs to straighten more which adds poundage to your bow.   The new string if factory size would make limbs to be flexed more which would decrease poundage.   

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
Replacing just the string will not change your weight much at all.  If it is a single cam bow your Y Cable will do most of the weight changing, hybrid cams the Y cable will still deal with the weight change, or if it is dual cam your two control cables will both need to be twisted together.   Go back to where you had it set up and make them crank your limbs to max weight.  Have them check the weight and if it is not at the max draw weight, for example 60 or 70 lbs. then have them put twists into the cable until the bow reaches where it is supposed to max out. Then set it to whatever draw weight your would like from there.  If you know the lengths that you need for the string and cables than that is what I would go buy and don't get anything shorter or longer than that. 
This is your most likely scenario. If you shoot a peep sight you need to make sure it is in the exact same place it was after you changed to the new string. 20 yds want tell you as much as 30 and on out will tell you. Also make sure you are anchoring the same. I know that sounds trivial but when things are going wrong the little things are taken for granted. Also if it is a peep make sure it is not moving on you each shot.1/16 of an inch every time adds up.        %^$^

adds up
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 12:48:59 PM by foodplot19 »
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »

all great info gang!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

New Page 3

Google Ad