New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Anyone have any problems with rage broadheads??  (Read 9623 times)

Offline MN_Whitetail

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • MN Whitetail and Turkey Bowhunter
    • Birchwood Taxidermy
Re: Anyone have any problems with rage broadheads??
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:19 PM »

three blade r age not legal in nys
Then use the 40 ke 2 blade rage. 1 1/2 inch cut.

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
I've used the 2 blade Rage since they came out.  I have never had any problems with them.  The only problems that I've ever had have been operator error.  All the blades I have ever purchased have been sharper than I can get them.  I have never tried the 3 blade after I read all the problems they were having with opening up.  That has been a few years ago though.  A bad shot with any broadhead is still a bad shot.  If you shoot them in the pump house with a field point you will kill them.  The Rage just give me the room for error I need.  Buck fever is still an enjoyment for me.  I would be lying if I told you I don't get nervous when a deer walks out.  If you lose that, in my opinion, it isn't any fun anymore.  I have killed 2 dozen deer or better with these broadheads.  Even when I've hit them btw the ribs horizontally the blades open back up and continue on through the deer.  My arrow weight and broadhead is 400 grains.  I'm shooting a Switchback XT with a draw weight set at #63 give or take and a 28 1/2" draw.  I even shot a large doe in the shoulder blade once and found her.  Granted it took tracking her for over a mile but she couldn't stop the bleeding.  It is like anything else if you have good luck with it you swear by it if not it is junk.  I've never ever had any of them open in flight.  The only thing that might be happening is the "O" ring is rubber and will rot.  When it does the blades don't click shut as well.  Last year I loaded the practice head with real blades and it shoots great as well.  The trick I've heard from some people is the quiver is a problem if you have a foam insert in the top of it.  I still us an old Kwikee Quiver that has the rubber top in it.  I just get the starter tip in it enough to hold the arrow. 
Good luck to everyone and I'm glad we've all had a safe season.
Merry Christmas to ALL!!!!
Carter
foodplot19
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline charles m

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 08:36:30 AM »
Yes I also use Rage. What was said in the previous post is correct. You have to watch the foam in the quikee quivers. It will make a blade disengage from o ring. I simply check the blades each time before I nock an arrow and no problems.
Take a kid hunting or fishing. Get them hooked for life.
30 years Hunting experience

Offline BWHTR

• 6 Point
  • "Go for what you want not for what you can get"
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »
I have tried 4-5 different mechanical broad heads with Rage being the last.  I hated them all for various reasons and have always gone back to G5 Montecs.  I never hunted with a Rage because of them opening during flight while practicing. Out of 25-30 practice shots they opened 4-5 times (no quiver was used). I am sure if you could get one to the deer without it opening it would make a nice hole but it is not worth the chance when a beast walks out.  I pull 73 pounds and maybe that has something to do with it. 
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably talking about hunting or fishing"

John 3:16
Bow Hunting Addict
NRA member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation member
Pope and Young member
Walnut Bayou Deer Management member
Mathews Bows

Offline ajrchery

• Fawn
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
No problems. PSE Bow Madness, 29" draw, 71#, 418 grain Beman arrow, 290 fps. 7 pass throughs and recovers. G5 T3 work real well too.

New Page 3

Google Ad