New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Season dates for Texas Deer Hunting  (Read 606 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
Season dates for Texas Deer Hunting
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
TPWD has the info out for this year.....

Archery season:   October 1st through November 4th.

General season:    November 5th through January 1st.

Late spike and antlerless:  January 2nd through January 15th (for certain counties)

Antler restrictions in place.  Check the Outdoor Annual for list of counties.

I'm afraid this might be a tough year, with the drought conditions worsening every day.    A rancher that lives up the road from me sold his entire herd last Saturday, and many others are being forced to do the same.   He had about 160 head.  That will flood the beef market and should reduce prices on beef for a while, but I really feel for these people.   All the time, effort, money, sweat, vet bills, fence riding, calving, haying, and everything else involved in a cattle ranch, and to then have to sell at low weights and for whatever the market's paying right now has got to hurt.   Ranchers are very proud people and take pride in every aspect of ranching.   Most all will recover, but Mother Nature has not been kind to them this year.    And the deer herd is suffering right along with the cattle.    Not much to eat, and not much water.   Gonna be a tough year on fawns, I'm afraid.   Best of luck to all Texas hunters this season, and to all hunters everywhere.    Hope we get some rain between now and then.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Re: Season dates for Texas Deer Hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »
I really feel for the tx cattle ranchers and farmers. I pray for them every day. The wheat crop is a bust statewide.  This year a lot of them are bailing the wheat stocks to make silage for feed. They are all in survival mode and many have been forced to sell out.
The news last night showed the entire state except for 2-3 counties around dfw is under "exceptional" drought conditions. "Exceptional" is the worst rating on drought. This is a big state and for 95% of it to be under this bad a drought is devastating.  This is the worst drought in over 100 years.
  My Vernon lease is completely dead. Nothing green is growing any where on it. I plan to pay up and keep it but I don't expect to take a buck from it this year. I anticipate very poor antler growth this year state wide except for Grayson, Fannin, and Cooke counties.   On a positive note, maybe the poor antler growth this year will cause a lot of hunters to pass on more bucks which will produce more mature bucks for next season.  If this happens it will naturally create better bucks next year, but more importantly will create a higher conception rate and help the herds rebound from the fawn mortality rates from this year.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
I will pray for you guys some rain, its tough to hear people suffering.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
My brother in law and sister in law live in Dallas. They tell me this is the worst drought they have seen in 20 years. We've been very dry here in Georgia this summer but nothing like Texas. I hope you folks get some substantial rain soon... @--0--0101
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad