New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Going back to basics.  (Read 1862 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
Re: Going back to basics.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
Good luck to you!  A buddy of mine had his truck packed for a hunt the next morning, but someone broke in the truck and stole everything he had.  I really wish we could have found out who, but I guess it's good we didn't because my buddy would definitely be in jail and there's a good possibility I would be there with him.  You have got a great attitude about the whole deal and I wish you the best of luck this season! DT

I hate to think what would have happened if I had found them IN MY HOUSE, DT.   Well, I know what would have happened and that would be something hard to live with!  I thought I had kept them from breaking into my bro-in-laws house next door and didn't realize they had already hit mine.   It wouldn't have been pretty.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
Face it, it's always that basics that make us good hunters, the gadgets are just toys. You'll do fine.

Thank you, Bubba.  Right spot, right time,  DONE DEAL! 
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Chief

• Spike
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
The "Basics of Life" ....there is something to be said about simplicity .There's something in all of us that causes us to dream back to the time things were much simpler. Somehow it brings a calm to all the turmoil around us. You'll be alright and with a greater sense of accomplishment when you connect. Much luck and be blessed!!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
Good Luck!  Sorry to hear you had all your stuff stolen.  You might find going at the old fashioned way might bring you better luck.  I've been skunked the past two years myself using all the new stuff and this year I'm keeping it a lot simpler than I have in the past.  I'll be spending a lot less money this year too and with any luck I'll finally end my deer killing drought!  Best of luck to you, I look forward to hearing the reports of your adventures starting this fall!

Thanks, Viking.  I hope we both can have success the "old fashioned" way.  Nice to have someone else on the "Old school" team!   The more I think about it, the less I need all that stuff.   Plus, once I can get a deer, I'll have some scent, be it buck or doe.  Scent control is gonna be different though.  Sage and cedar, mostly, and Ivory soap.  Good luck to you this fall also!
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
Good Luck with it.  Our Fathers hunted that way and the freezers were never empty.

Thanks, BP and BDD.  I never was one who had a lot of those things anyway, until recent years.  I don't think I'll miss them too much.

Yea you will miss some of the things....and probably more than you think. You probably will realize that you can get along just as well without several of the things too though. I went thru something like that SEVERAL yrs ago and reduced things "I needed" to much my surprise. Hope it works out for ya brother.....Good Luck!!!

I'll have to wait and see, NotRite, but I did without much other than camo, a weapon, and some cover scent, usually cedar, for many years and did pretty good.  I finally gave in and got my first cam 2 years ago and it was nice to see, in advance, what was running around out there.  But, if you spend enough time and effort afield, you'll find out all that soon enough.  I'm not like most of the world today.  I don't have to have everything "right now" and I don't get in a hurry about anything very often.  It'll work out just fine, I'm sure.  Best of luck to you as well this fall.  I'm looking forward to it!!!
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
i know a guy in WI that actually killed a deer w/ a rock. it's not impossible. you just need to think a little outside the box. good luck. you'll probably have more fun doing it 'old school'

Yeah yari, been "old school" for a long time.  I'd like to hear the story of how someone got a deer with just a rock!?   That's downright "tribal" there!   
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
There is nothing better in life than having a positive attitude. I remember well when I first started deer hunting in the mid 60's I used a 30-30 with open sights carried a Case hunting knife had a pair of insulated boot that I put waterproofing on every year. I hunted with the old white insulated underwear (froze to death) blue jeans sweatshirts and a heavy red jacket. No camo, no scents, no calls and none of the many gadgets of today. You know I loved every minute of it as I hunted with my Dad. I took my share of deer during those days.
What really comes to mind is that those were the simplest of time and they were the best of times. We still hunted or hunted from the ground. A few years later we built a few permanent stands but it was many years before I ever hunted out of a climber. Did I say we took our share of deer... never had food plots, mineral sites or baited you don't need all the bells and whistles to enjoy a day afield. Your going to have a blast this year and may have the opportunity of a lifetime to harvest that trophy. Keep it simple and enjoy the moment....good luck with you season cause you've got the right attitude!!!

I'm all about simple, SplitToe!  Always have been.   It'll be fun no matter how it goes, but I think I'll do OK!  Thanks.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
Well i think you'll have fun no matter what!  We all hunted for years without the gagets you can do it @--0--0101 I hope they catch the rotten %$#@! that stole your stuff.
Yeah BlueToe, it'll be fun no matter what!  Good test anyway!  I hope they can catch 'em too, but I won't hold my breath.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
The "Basics of Life" ....there is something to be said about simplicity .There's something in all of us that causes us to dream back to the time things were much simpler. Somehow it brings a calm to all the turmoil around us. You'll be alright and with a greater sense of accomplishment when you connect. Much luck and be blessed!!

Thank you, Chief.   There will, indeed, be a sense of accomplishment.   Like I say, I've done it old school for many years and it'll be fun to get back to that.   Best of luck to you this fall, also.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

New Page 3

Google Ad