New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Going back to basics.  (Read 1864 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
Going back to basics.
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
As some of you know, my house was broken into back on 5-11 and almost all of my hunting gear was stolen.  We're coming up on the time of year when that old, familiar itch begins and I really start thinking about doves, ducks, and deer!  I've posted some on here about "if I get to go this year" and I don't know who I'm trying to kid, I'll be out there! I may be throwing rocks at 'em, but I'll be out there!  (By the way, Thanks again to RussCat and Dave1211 for your offers of help and loaning me some gear.  THAT, my friends, is a FRIEND!!)  Anywho, with the economy the way it is, and the prices of everything going sky high, I'm going back to the "Old School" way of doing things this year.  I'm going head-to-head with them this year.  I'm not feeding corn ($12 per bag) I'm not putting in any plots (Hundreds of dollars per)  I'm not putting out minerals, even though they're alot cheaper,  I don't have any cams anymore so I don't have to bother with that ( $100-200),  and I'm not buying anything new for this year.  Can't afford it.  I have some left-over DDW from last year, some broadheads that have never been shot, some camo, and a pistol.  I'll have a bow one way or the other for bow season, but I'm gonna test my smarts this year, without all the "gadgets".  No scents, no calls (other than the ones I do with my mouth), no rattling, no nothing.  Camo, weapon, and me.  I know the lands I hunt VERY well and should be able to put something in the freezer just by hunting the right spots at the right times, knowing patterns, and practicing good woodsmanship.   Hey, you do what ya gotta do and, since I don't have all that stuff anymore, I'll just have to do without.  It should be fun, and very challenging, to say the least.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Online BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Going back to basics.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:30:01 PM »
Good Luck with it.  Our Fathers hunted that way and the freezers were never empty.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline BIG DADDY DAVE

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »
you may enjoy it more going that way. sometimes when something bad happens it can work out in a way that you never expected, i hope this happens for you. good luck and keep hunting

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 06:49:07 AM »
Sounds like an adventure and I gotta feeling you are gonna be happier and find out you didnt need 90% of the junk  you used before.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline ameshell

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • 12.86lb Baby!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 07:31:01 AM »
 @--0--0123 We should all take a little from this experience! We all need to step back an evaluate things from time to time! Ungortunately, you were not given the option this time!  Good on you for moving forward and understanding what you need to do!
Team "Big 10"
Team 3 Rack Addicts
Texas Peace Officer
Served in the US Navy

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
That's the spirit!

You're gonna have a tough time with a bag full of rocks when them little gray rockets start flying come sept 1. If your arm gets tired or if you throw your shoulder out give me a holla.  I have a 12 ga pump I'll loan you for the season. I'm sure it would also do fine throwing some lead at a deer too!

Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline hunterman7956

• Spike
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:26 AM »
What size are you ? I have camo that doesnt fit me anymore and if its your size it would make me happy to give it to you.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
glad you are getting itchy jest say the word and i can get the bow going your way
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »
Good for you, and I bet the thrill of this challege will really get your blood pumping. You got to love new and exciting challenges.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
Good Luck with it.  Our Fathers hunted that way and the freezers were never empty.

Thanks, BP and BDD.  I never was one who had a lot of those things anyway, until recent years.  I don't think I'll miss them too much.
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »
Sounds like a fun season TX! I have no doubt you'll have a nice supply of meat in the freezer come fall!
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »
Sounds like an adventure and I gotta feeling you are gonna be happier and find out you didnt need 90% of the junk  you used before.

You're probably right, CMH!  I did without any "gadgets" for many years and did pretty good.  Will be fun to try it again.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Online DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »
I'm sure you'll do great...and again.... if you need some clothing and if ur the right size.....let me know....I don't own a bow or anything like that but I have an extra muzzleloader too....let me know @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
@--0--0123 We should all take a little from this experience! We all need to step back an evaluate things from time to time! Ungortunately, you were not given the option this time!  Good on you for moving forward and understanding what you need to do!

Thanks Anthony, and I appreciate your offer.  Some great people on here and that's why I like TH so much!
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »
That's the spirit!

You're gonna have a tough time with a bag full of rocks when them little gray rockets start flying come sept 1. If your arm gets tired or if you throw your shoulder out give me a holla.  I have a 12 ga pump I'll loan you for the season. I'm sure it would also do fine throwing some lead at a deer too!

I may have to use my "David and Goliath" type sling for doves!  It would give me more range and be a little easier on the old arm! --099-780   Many thanks, Russ.  I'll know more in a week or two.
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

New Page 3

Google Ad