New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Reviews for the Mossberg Shotguns or Mossberg 930 Turkey Gun???  (Read 7849 times)

Offline akkirkwood

• Fawn
  • The more I hunt, the more I'm hooked....
My husband has taken me turkey hunting a couple times now and this year I got my first turkey...so ofcourse now I'm hooked. Now I want my own turkey gun. Starting to look at a few shotguns and found the Mossberg 930 Turkey and was wondering how this gun performs vs other guns. I like the autoloading guns and only need the 3" (3 1/2" is too much for me!). I have a Mossberg rifle and really like it but I don't know much about their shotguns. Anyone know much about this gun????
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:42:41 PM by akkirkwood »

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Reviews for the Mossberg 930 Turkey Shotgun???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
i think it is a good gun you should go to a gun store and look at them see what one fits you the best  might need a shorter stock look at the youth models  and let us know that you get     @--0--0101
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »
Don't know about the 930 specifically, but Mossberg makes great shotguns.  Had one since I was 7 years old.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
I've got a 930, it's not not turkey model, I have the waterfowl edition  (synthetic stock set and 28" barrel).

I've only had one mechanical issue with it to date.   Shooting skeet with a sub freezing windchill it failed to cycle the light rounds.   I didn't get a chance to shoot when it was that cold again so I'm not sue if it was just a thickening of the lube or some other issue.   I'm guessing the lube as the problem got worse the longer I was out in the cold.  By the middle of the round, I effectively had a single shot shotgun.   After that I broke it down, cleaned everything and re-lubed it with the same synthetic I use in my handguns.

It worked fine all the other times I've used it for anything from turkey loads, slugs down to light field loads.

Aside from that one occurrence, it's been utterly reliable.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline akkirkwood

• Fawn
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
From what I've read about Mossbergs you need to clean them really well after you first get them. The manufacturer puts a thick lube in the gun that can jam up a lot of stuff if you don't.

The specific gun I'm looking at is Mossberg 930 Turkey 12 gauge, Realtree Hardwoods HD Green, 24" Ported Barrel. I've looked at some youth models and can't find what I want, so I was going to get what I want and have it fitted to me. I found a good gun smith that shortened up my 300 Win Mag 4x4 Mossberg rifle and it fits good now.

Let me know if you have had experience with either this gun or any other Mossberg shotguns...
Thanks!!

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with a Mossberg I own a couple not the specific gun you mentioned here but both of mine a 12 and a 20 ga work flawlessly for the last 15 years- never a problem. I have shot a Mossberg 930 and it seemed solid and functioned very well. Good luck just make sure whichever gun you get fits you well.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline firejim

• Fawn
Re: Reviews for the Mossberg Shotguns or Mossberg 930 Turkey Gun???
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:44:24 AM »
I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag that has been my turkey gun for the past 5 years and I have been more than happy with it.  I have a buddy who has the 935 and he swears by it as well. I would recommend the Mossberg line of shotguns to anyone.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:22:28 AM »
I have bought a few Mossberg shotguns for my son and son in law for gifts because they were readily available in our area.They have had no issues with them.We still pass my son's youth model (first gun) around to other family members and friends.It is still going strong.

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »
Mossberg has become as much of a household name as any other brand. They are solid and reliable. I have a few friends who own them (I use a Winchester that was handed down to me) and they can't say enough about them. Have never heard of any issues with them at all.

If you are going to have the gun fitted to you by a gunsmith, I would say you have already found what you want. You seem to really like what you read about it and the look of it. Mossberg is a solid name, though I have no experience with their customer service. Only thing I would say is double check with your gunsmith. Since he has modified a sock for you already he will have some idea of how difficult or easy it will be to modify that particular shotgun for you. Beyond that, I'd say jump on it!
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline akkirkwood

• Fawn
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Good tip...I will check with the gun smith first to make sure that this gun can be modified before we purchase. Thanks! ##$%#115

New Page 3

Google Ad