New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Missed opportunity  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Blocko

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Hunt and Fish
Missed opportunity
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
I recently harvested a nice tom with my shotgun... ##$%#113...but, about 2 weeks prior to that, I screwed up my attempt at harvesting the same bird with my bow and guillotine broadheads. %^$^  On that morning, about 3 hours into the hunt, the tom suddenly gobbled at the south end of our camp food plot...about 200 yards away.  He quickly made his way down the food plot toward my decoys.  When he got about half way to me, I turned on my video camera in preparation for recording the hunt.  About 1 minute later, the camera started beeping and shut down.  I realized that I had completely forgotten to charge the battery the night before. @--0--0127 @--0--0135  I was really upset with myself because I really wanted to video this harvest.
Anyway, as the tom got closer, I began to prepare my bow.  It was then that I started to get turkey fever like I've never had... --7-8-9...it was like I was 12 years old again looking at my first buck.  Something about holding that bow in my hand in preparation for the turkey really got me cranked up...way more than with the shotgun.  It was great.  Good thing the camera wasn't rolling...because I'm sure the only thing that you'd hear is my heavy breathing.
Just outside the corner window, there is a group of 3 hemlock trees, perfectly located to assist in blocking the view of me drawing back in my blind.  The tom continued toward me until he stopped behind those hemlocks a mere 8 yards away.  At that point, he walked straight away from me behind those hemlocks until he was about 12 yards away...and then he stepped out.  I drew back, set my pin about 1/2 way down his neck and released.  The arrow hit him hard, but way low on his neck.  The tom started clucking and ran away for several steps and then took flight across the food plot, landed and ran into the woods.  What happened?
I’ll tell you what happened…I choked…BIG TIME.   @--0--0116  I knew exactly what I had done.  As soon as I released, I’m positive that I dropped my hand and picked up my head to peak at the shot.  I wanted to watch that guillotine do it’s thing…and since my camera was dead, I peaked.  Oh, I was so disgusted with myself.  What a wasted opportunity.  And he was such a great bird.  Ugh!!
Anyway, upon replaying the shot in my head over and over, I’m positive that I shot low enough that one of the blades caught part of the body and turned the arrow right before it hit the neck, thus causing it to lose all effectiveness.  I sure had plenty of feathers though…so I jokingly texted my family and friends inquiring if anybody had a recipe for feather soup.  About one week later, I received a recipe from my aunt.  She was having fun with me.  Ha!  I plan on making her recipe and shipping a container of the soup to her. @--0--0109
So, I was really worried that I may have bruised that tom enough that he wouldn’t be able to get up into a tree that night or if he did get up, that he would stiffen up and wouldn’t be able to fly down in the morning.  I was happy to find out that the tom I recently shot with my shotgun had a patch of missing feathers right at the base of his neck.  It was great to know that I hadn’t wounded the tom to the point that he couldn’t function.  It was even better to know that I outsmarted him twice and was able to seal the deal the second time…with my shotgun.
All in all, it was a great learning experience and I’m looking forward to trying it again next year.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to retain my composure, like the seasoned hunter I’m supposed to be.   --099-780  It sure was exciting!!!
BIG THANKS to all the Great Sponsors!!!!!

NRA member
2010 Talk Hunting Turkey Championship - 2nd place
President of Block Design & Construction Services, Inc.
Michigan Professional Engineer

Offline ordindy1

• 2013 Turkey Champion
  • 8 Point
  • There are none so blind as those that will not see
Re: Missed opportunity
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »
Blocko that is a great story.
Many times we learn allot more when the outcome is not the way we would like.
Congrats on getting that bird the 2nd time.
Turkey Championship Winner 2011, 2012 & 2013
Been hunting for 45 years.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
Congats Blocko--- if you don't succeed at first---try-try again!  -0078
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline JALA RUT

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Great story and that adrenaline rush is what it's all about.  I hope to never lose that...Can't imagine I will.  But, like you, I sure I hope I can contain it enough to get the job done.  Good luck getting one with the bow next time!
2014/15 Deer Hunting Championship Team#18; Buck Dynasty
Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, Hunt Ethically and Have Fun!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
All I can say is "wow!"
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »
That is one cool story! Congratulations! As f
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
Wow, that is one cool story! Congratulatons! As far as the first disaster, we've all done it. We get sick about it but hopefully learn a valuable lesson from these experiences. Thanks for sharing the story!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »
Another great story, Blocko!  It's always great when you get that second chance on an animal you've seen before, and then get the chance to close the deal.   
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Online Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:40:03 AM »
Awesome story, and a good end result. If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger gun. I guess you already figured that one out.  @--0--0123
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:10:04 PM »
Blocko as always it was great to read your hunting story.Congrats on the bird and let me know how the feather soup turned out. @--0--0121

Offline RADAR

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 09:25:01 PM »
Great story hang in there
If Hunting is a sport does this make me an athlete?

2009-10 Deer Hunting Championship Winning Team Member
2010 Turkey Championship Winner

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 12:34:19 AM »
it happens    ##$%#1119
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Possum

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 07:58:25 AM »
Awesome post Blocko. Glad you got him with the Shotgun...
I still have a lot of convincing to use the  guillotine broadheads...
Again great post!
 @--0--0123
Freelance Outdoor Writer

New Page 3

Google Ad