New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Finally got it done!!  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Finally got it done!!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Congrats Blocko on a nice bird and great story. Good luck with the ladies on getting their birds!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Bow man

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 05:50:07 AM »
Congratulations on the birds
St. Joe River Longbow 50.@28  62"
Muzzy Phantoms SS
www.stjoeriverbows.com
A-Way Hunting Products Pro staff member  www.awayhunting.com

Offline Blocko

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Hunt and Fish
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
Great story!! I got busted twice this year huinting with bow. Have been trying to connect for two years . Any pointers??

I'm not sure I should be giving you any pointers for scoring with the bow...I screwed up my attempt this year.  I'm posting the story in a little bit.  Check it out.

Otherwise, with the bow, I think the best way to be successful is in a pop-up blind.  Trying to do it without would be really tough...but not impossible.  Were you in a pop-up blind?
BIG THANKS to all the Great Sponsors!!!!!

NRA member
2010 Talk Hunting Turkey Championship - 2nd place
President of Block Design & Construction Services, Inc.
Michigan Professional Engineer

Offline Chief

• Spike
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
Blocko, I was on the ground behind a camo sheet the first time . He was strutting within 3 yards of my shooting lane. When he saw the Jake and hen decoys he folded, tuned around and walked away.  The next time I was in a pop up... basically the same thing happened. It was a Jake. Chief

Offline Blocko

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Hunt and Fish
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »
Blocko, I was on the ground behind a camo sheet the first time . He was strutting within 3 yards of my shooting lane. When he saw the Jake and hen decoys he folded, tuned around and walked away.  The next time I was in a pop up... basically the same thing happened. It was a Jake. Chief

Sorry for taking so long to respond...I've been incredibly busy lately.

That's tough to figure out.  It sounds like in both cases, something minor happened that he didn't like, but didn't completely scare him.  I state that because he just walked away...he didn’t run away.  Therefore, I don't think it's anything you did behind the sheet or in the blind.  Most likely, if it's something that you did, he'd run away fast.

So, here are some thoughts: 
I suspect that it’s your decoys.  Is there something on the decoys that just doesn't look right?  If you are in a high hunting pressure area, the birds can get decoy shy…thus, if the decoys don’t look real, it might shy the birds away…especially once they get close enough to see them really good.  I don’t know this from personal experience…just from reading things.  Fortunately, for me, the birds here are not heavily hunted.  I’ve got about the cheapest decoys you can get…and they seem to work just fine.  But, if you are dealing with “schooled” birds, they may just walk away once they get a close look at your decoys.

Otherwise, could it be your setup?  Is your set up facing toward the sun...thus the sun is shining on you and your tent?  I try to locate my tent in a dark shady spot, but put my decoys in a sunny spot.  From the perspective of a bird standing near the decoys, the bright light contrasting with the shade where my tent is located, really reduces the visibility of movement…whether that movement is from the tent blowing in the wind or from my movement inside the tent…or any other movement that might occur.  The last thing you want is for the sun to be shining inside your tent while you are trying to maneuver.  Just like setting up a tree stand for deer hunting, I want the sun to be in my prey’s eyes while they are looking my direction.  I don’t want that big spotlight in the sky to be shining on me.

If your set up is affected by the sun, do you wear glasses?  I've had a tom abruptly run away on one of my past set ups because I hadn't paid enough attention to the angle of the sun.  After the tom disappeared, I decided to walk his route while my buddy stayed seated at his spot…in an attempt to see what the tom saw that caused him to suddenly turn and run away.  As I walked the tom’s route, I suddenly noticed a glint off my buddy’s glasses.  I concluded that glint was enough to scare off the bird…it just wasn’t natural.

Those are just some quick thoughts.  Let me know what you think.
BIG THANKS to all the Great Sponsors!!!!!

NRA member
2010 Talk Hunting Turkey Championship - 2nd place
President of Block Design & Construction Services, Inc.
Michigan Professional Engineer

Offline Chief

• Spike
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
Thank you Blocko, I was hunting on the game lands where you are allowed only 3 days a week. Throughout the season I never saw another hunter. So I am supposing that pressure wasn't an issue. I made sure to set up in the most covered and shaded areas.I don't think sunlight was a factor. Decoys look ok. As I think back , I think it was the same Jake both times. I was hunting in the same area within a 400 yd radius. I think I educated him the first time and he was too smart the second time. Man I really appreciate you taking the time to respond in such a thorough manner.Maybe next season Lord willing.
Chief

New Page 3

Google Ad