New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Finally got it done!!  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Blocko

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Hunt and Fish
Finally got it done!!
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »
I finally got my tom this morning.  What a great day!!
Thus far, it's been a year of missed opportunities.  First, my wife missed her tom on opening day at camp.  Then, I choked on a nice tom at camp about 2 weeks ago with my bow (I'll post that story soon).  Then, over the course of the last few weeks, while hunting at camp with my wife and daughter, together and separately on different occasions, we've heard toms way off, but could never convince them to come our way.  And...while running and gunning at camp and other places, there just weren't any birds responding.  I was starting to think that I wouldn't get any other chances this year...and wouldn't provide any additional opportunities for my family.  My wife has experienced the thrill of the hunt…and is itching for another opportunity…but, I really want my daughter to experience the thrill too.  Thus far, she just hasn’t had anything exciting happen while hunting.  Unfortunately, this morning, neither my wife or daughter could join me…so I was off to try it by myself before heading off to work.
I was determined that my camp would produce again, so I headed back to camp for another shot.  After storms and a lot of rain yesterday, I was hoping that the turkeys would be active today.  Unfortunately, I stayed up too late and with my cold, I couldn't drag my butt out of bed.  I finally kicked things into gear, but I was running late.  In fact...I didn't get to my pop-up tent at camp until about 6am...15 minutes after legal shooting hours.  I figured late was better than nothing.
So, I made a series of calls about 3 different times without any responses.  I sat back in my chair a little disgusted, but hopeful that some birds would travel through the food plot at some point.  No sooner had that thought left my head, when suddenly, a tom gobbled right next to me, startling me almost off my seat.  The gobble came from the direction that I never look...the north end of our food plot...thus, I have all the windows buttoned up except one little crack in a corner window.  I do this because 90% of the time, all the bird activity comes from the south end of the plot.  Because of this, I didn’t see the birds coming…and didn’t know they were there until the tom let loose. 
Right after he gobbled, I looked out the corner window and realized that there were 4 hens, a jake and the tom…all about 30 yards away…already in the food plot.  The hens were moving really fast, working their way across the plot and down the length of the plot, on the other side…basically, getting further away from me.  The jake immediately began heading for my decoys, but the tom stayed on the same track as the hens…which would take him on a route that would push my shooting limits.  Things needed to happen fast if I was going to get a chance at this tom.
I was scrambling to get my video camera re-positioned and recording.  Everything was set up for recording to the south, so it was a mad dash to make it all work…and get myself in a position to shoot.  And just like that, the jake was right on top of my decoys…within 10 yards of my pop-up…and the tom was moving fast on the other side of the plot.  There was no time to focus the camera on the tom and/or get it zoomed in.  I just pointed the camera in the general direction and hoped for the best.  At that point, the jake didn’t like things and started clucking and moving away fast.  I immediately pulled up on the fast moving tom, picked my spot and shot…and down he went.
It all happened so fast that it almost seemed surreal…but the reality of my accomplishment set in.  Amongst all the chaos, I was able to get some of the birds on video…but not the kill shot.  Unfortunately, it was just off camera.  More importantly, though, I successfully harvested a really nice tom at about 50 yards.
It was now 6:20am…a 20 minute hunt.  I was truly blessed to be in the right place at the right time.  And a great bird…an 11” beard and 7/8” spurs.  Not the longest spurs, but the longest beard I’ve ever taken.  What a thrilling hunt. 
As excited as I was for myself, I almost felt a little disappointed.  I want my daughter to experience the thrill so much that I felt disappointed that she wasn’t with me for this opportunity.  The jake was in a perfect position for her first attempt and I would have been able to get some great video footage of her first attempt.  But, I realize that every opportunity we get at nice birds is something to be cherished.  So, I won’t dwell on that little bit of disappointment.  Instead, I’ll look at the positive of what I accomplished and focus all my attention on getting my wife and daughter onto some birds.  It’s going to be a great last week of the season.
BIG THANKS to all the Great Sponsors!!!!!

NRA member
2010 Talk Hunting Turkey Championship - 2nd place
President of Block Design & Construction Services, Inc.
Michigan Professional Engineer

Offline 7Day_Archer

• 6 Point
  • All I need is God, my Family & 1 chance
    • facebook
Re: Finally got it done!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
 @--0--0133
We're a Steelers family!6X!
Avid hunter; current student
Vets4Vets NAHC NRA NWTF
Once a Marine, Always a Marine! I am trained to kill, now it's just critters n stuff.
Mathews Z7, Easton Axis ST, Rage 2-100
Savage .270, Trophy bonded bear claws-140 gn, Hunter Safety Sys
Talkin bout stick n string Man

Offline Powers450r

• 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »
 ##$%#11 Congrats on the bird! Great story and love the pics. Good looking tom. Thanks for sharing!!
The Hoosier Buck Empire Team
The Clover is Green
The Trees are Tall
I wait quietly not to be Seen
So I may put you on my Wall
One only knows what one can Teach

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »
Congrats on a very nice bird.Sounds like persistence paid off. Good Luck with getting your daughter one.We look forward to hearing of her success.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Congrats on a very nice bird. Hope your daughter and your wife can both get one
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »
Congrats on a nice bird. Things can sure happen fast when you least expect it!!  @--0--0130
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
great bird and story blocko...congrats @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:57:39 AM »
Yep, great story, Blocko!  Congrats on a great bird!!   Very nice picture, too! 
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline BigDaddyD

• 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
Congrats on a fine bird. Great story too.
Maryland Bowhunter Society Member
Bassmaster Member

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »
I'm glad somebody had some luck Congrats!! great story very nice Tom. @--0--0123 @--0--0123
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »
glad you got one
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:46 PM »
that's a great story, Blocko.  Congrats on your bird!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
Congrats Blocko, that was an exciting half hour of hunting, and what a great bird and a memorable story to tell for a long time. Good luck the rest of the week getting the daughter and wife on some nice birds. All you need to do now is focus, you and the camera both  @--0--0123 Go get um.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline ameshell

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • 12.86lb Baby!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 01:23:39 AM »
 @--0--0123 Congrat's! Don't worry, the girls will get thiers too!
Team "Big 10"
Team 3 Rack Addicts
Texas Peace Officer
Served in the US Navy

Offline Chief

• Spike
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »
Great story!! I got busted twice this year huinting with bow. Have been trying to connect for two years . Any pointers??

New Page 3

Google Ad