New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Foiled Again!  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Foiled Again!
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »
Honestly I am having more fun turkey hunting this year than a person should be allowed to have and still haven't got a turkey! Many encounters as I have posted but no bird yet. I have taken your advice and set up to ambush these two big toms and even took my new blind today. Around 8 o'clock I hear a gobble but he is going away from me but I keep hearing him make this big circle and then hear the second one with him. I know it it those two big toms. They are getting closer and appears that they willl come up along the ridge where they normally appear. All of a sudden I hear this hen yelping (I thought it was another hunter but no one is supposed to be up there on this private land) and these gobblers sound off big time, double gobbling. This hen call goes off again and these gobblers fire off again. The all of a sudden I hear the gobblers going away (no shot either!) and then the gobling stops. I'm thinking it wasn't another hunter but maybe a real hen which is hard to compete with. What do you think?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline BigDaddyD

• 6 Point
Re: Foiled Again!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
That hen will normally get you everytime. Keep at it, sounded like a great hunt otherwise.
Maryland Bowhunter Society Member
Bassmaster Member

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »
I got busted by a deer walking into the middle of a set up while I was out hunting with a friend.  Had a gobbler talkin too.....
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
I've always said, "Scare a deer, scare a turkey!" Sometimes you just have to laugh because Murphy and his laws oftern follow us into the woods! You just have to love hunting, kill or story!

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
Next time you need to out yelp her--- give him that come hither call and scratch the leaves.  @--0--0101
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
I am having the same type of year close close calls no shooting but a bunch of fun!! You just got to keep trying at least til Monday then make a short ride to Pa they got til the next weekend- Good luck! Oh and keep having FUN!!!!! @--0--0118
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
Last year, I had a hen get spooked by the decoys, just as a tom was coming in range.  She started putting and he slowly turned around and left.  She eventually got to about 10 yds from me.  She would have been dead if hens were legal to shoot in the spring.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
it happens to me all the time...live hens all around me....if their not real close I'll yelp with them...what a racket...I've had as many as 8 hens yelping , squealing and doing all sorts of things around me this year...thats real fun...the important part is listening to them and picking up a few of the different calls and imitaing them when the big boy comes a calling....I'll try saturday again...its been raining a lot but everytime I go for a ride I see 6 to 10 gobblers in the lots on private lands that you can't hunt....I'll try again ;D
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »
You're right bearclaw.  Hard to compete with the real thing.  I hope it wasn't a poacher.  Fun hunt none the less!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09:15 PM »
the real deal is always on the top of his list    @--0--0101
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
I don't think he was a poacher. There is some private land adjacent to the land I hunt and it could have been someone up there but I've been hunting that land for 4-5 years and I've never seen or heard anyone up there. When I heard the turkeys leaving there wasn't any more calling or shooting so it was prpbably a hen. I have seen one up there before too heading in that same direction. I'll be at it in the morning again!

New Page 3

Google Ad