New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New land to hunt  (Read 1520 times)

Offline SRHunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • Scotland Ridge Hunting Club
Re: New land to hunt
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 08:53:31 PM »
Keep at it.  You will get em.
When I die bury me where I can hear the turkeys gobble in the Spring time.

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »
Well I went out on Sat morning very early-- I was walking in at 5:15am-- I was excited to be hunting should a big tract by myself-- I had high hopes-- I got in a good way on the road and stop to listen for gobbling-- 6am came and went NO GOBBLIN' @--0--0128 nothing!! So I walk some more nothing I found a nice spot and set up an called every 15 mins until 7:30-- I move on down the road set up at 8am and called until 9:30 No gobblin no hen talk no nothing- just crows. I am not discouraged I move on come across a fresh plowd food plot set up at 10am call until 11am- start the long walk out stopping to call every 300-400 yds Nothing!! plenty of skeeters coarse I didn't take my therma cell- I will not make that mistake again. So it was a bust as far as killin a turkey but I had fun and learn about the lay of the land- I'm going back Tomorrow morning for 3-4 hours before work maybe they will be there then.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline mac0823

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • My little piece of heaven
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »
Sorry you had no luck Blue - a day in the woods beats most other things, so along with learning the land and a little nap (maybe?!) - I bet it was a good day

Offline Copperhead

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • ...wasting my day at work when I could be huntin'.
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
Hang in there, Bluetoe. And congrats on the land.
NRA Member
NAHC Member
Whitetail Fanatic
Crimson Tide Fan \\\\\\\"Roll Tide Roll!\\\\\\\"
Team Southern Boys

Offline Wood.Shannon

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
    • HelloHunting
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »
A piece of advice given to me once in the past was try something you never thought of trying before.Take your favorite turkey call to the woods and go to where you have seen them in the past.Cluck twice then wait ten minutes and yelp three to four times and toss the call behind you about twenty yards where you can't see it and be tempted to call again and wait for the turkey to come to you.Or even better take someone in with you and after you have made you yelps hand them the call and tell them to go home.To much calling can have an effect on not killing one as much as killing one.Remember that you are turkey hunting and not turkey calling.
Shannon L. Wood

Employed By Auburn University
TeamYoungGunz Pro Staff
http://hellohunting.com Owner
Outdoor Industry 10 Years Service
Biologist Aide
Land Manager

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
Better luck next time BT, hang in there
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
A piece of advice given to me once in the past was try something you never thought of trying before.Take your favorite turkey call to the woods and go to where you have seen them in the past.Cluck twice then wait ten minutes and yelp three to four times and toss the call behind you about twenty yards where you can't see it and be tempted to call again and wait for the turkey to come to you.Or even better take someone in with you and after you have made you yelps hand them the call and tell them to go home.To much calling can have an effect on not killing one as much as killing one.Remember that you are turkey hunting and not turkey calling.
I'll give it a try tomorrow morning
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
Went this morning. Nothing!!! I didn't have much time so I set up in a small food plot called 1 time and shut up- The owner said he saw 2 different gobblers yesterday in the field by his pond and they each had 3-4 hens with them at 9am. Today starts the hunt all day portion of our season so I'm going to try a late hunt Thursday from 3pm til dark!! Maybe I can change my luck.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »
Stick with it blue... you'll get 'em!
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter