New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: May have a problem for opening day...  (Read 1249 times)

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
May have a problem for opening day...
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
I can see with the binos ...all the way to my shooting house out back....So I've been listening from day break to the turkeys...first the gobbling  sounds a tad far out......I fear closer to where I have turkey "trespassing " every year @--0--0122...Then when they finally show up to a strutting zone in between the blind and the shooting house ...just a jake ..tom and a couple of hens....they move to the back side of my favorite blind and.....preen then sit....I think it's the hens nesting site ##$%#1119....Dang that's my favorite blind....I can't set up there now and risk scaring the hens off their nest site by shooting a Tom so close....I now have to go out before light and sit in the shooting house ...to watch where they are flying down to or walking in from...It rained today and is suppose to rain all week with thunder storms...really didn't want to stir up the woods before turkey season starts...and the only way back to the house...is past the nest site @--0--0117

I've shot a few birds from that blind....hhhmmmm sly little devils @--0--0109

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: May have a problem for opening day...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »
decisions, decisions  if you want i will come down and shoot tom turkey for you that way you will not feel so bad about messing the hen up  --099-780
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
its checkmate for you my friend.   @--0--0105   now don't tell me those bird brains are smarter than you.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »
Sounds like you're on target with trying to figure where they coming into the field from. If you can catch them before the nesting site it would be best. But not sure you would mess up the hens for good by taking a tom out of there once.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline growalot

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »
Well guys/gals ..I got up and was out in the shooting house by 5:15a.m.   I tad late for it was bright enough I didn't need a flash light...got in the shooting house and no sooner started setting up a Tom let loose on the roost...when it got light enough to see I scanned the tree tops and he was just a working it 200ft away ...but facing to pitch down hill off us...so when I saw him start to fluff.. I stuck my head out an opposite window and did a few tree yelps...well that got the girls attention and they all started with the ...hhhmm..It's not a purr..no yelp ....and not a kee...closer to a purr...any how he turned on his branch and flew down to the middle of the property.....I lost sight and 20 min later a hen brought him in feeding thru the woods....So they are walking away toward the blind I like  and stop short of that trail for another Tom lets loose...well this isn't the guy I saw yesterday...Then I here 3 more off in the distance...First really nice morning we've had in a while...long and short...I just got home...I've been surrounded by tom's all morning.... got pics of 2 only...little excited on first one and ran batteries down in camera @--0--0116...of course the 2 biggest came in late @--0--0117

At one point I had Toms walk under the blind and gobble ...OMG the walls vibrated....I heard every sound they make and more drumming than I almost cared to hear....I checked out what had attracted them...little skinny red worms all over

Offline mac0823

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • My little piece of heaven
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »
 @--0--0130  So, is turkey season not in?  I mean if you can shoot them with the camera - I'd think you would take a real shot?

Offline growalot

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
May first and you can count on my being out there @--0--0137   -0078     @--0--0109

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
Looks like you have the right spot all picked out GAL! Looking forward to seeing the harvest pics come May 1!
USAF Veteran

Offline growalot

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
Hope so....we have a thunder boomer moving in right now and the gobbling in the woods is NUTS!!!  The thunder has them all going and right where I hunt @--0--0123 ##$%#11

Offline Soft plastic guru

• 12 Point
  • I go catching not fishing!! FISH ON!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »
looks good till the season then they get that sick sense and hope thy will still be there for u. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted
Hunt hard and take kids fishing!!!

Online DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »
I have spooked the hen from a nesting site and if its active area they'll abandon and build elsewhere...they will still have their clutch of young ones......I have even found a few eggs i some....but so do the coons, foxs etc. @--0--0117
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline growalot

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
It's all in the food source...all the rain we've had brought those little red worms to the surface....They'll be across the street when the grass hoppers hatch...and Today I had two in the sucraseed trail...That's greening up nice....a couple of weeks ago it was little tan grubs with brown spots...there are a lot of wild flowers and grasses in bloom ...may eat those for the pollen?...This area is just loaded with blue coelish and elderberry berries and blackberries in early summer

Ya I went out this a.m. to see where I could hunt that wasn't near a nesting area...from the sound of the hens and where the Toms were they are nesting all over the brambles and down falls...which surrounds the blinds...Won't be in the woods again until Sunday...with exception of across the street....think one morning of observation there is needed

The shooting house is amazing...they look at and under it but don't seem to be able to see me in it with the windows open...can't wait to get the other taller /bigger one built @--0--0118

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:18:04 AM »
Sounds like the food sources are plentiful. That should really keep them around.  @--0--0101 this weekend. Keep us posted!
USAF Veteran

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »
Looks like you have found another sweet spot.Good Luck.

New Page 3

Google Ad