talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: ATV muffler silencer  (Read 2556 times)

Online GOLEE

• 7 Point
ATV muffler silencer
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »
Has anyone ever used one of the atv muffler silencers on their 4 wheeler.
I hope this was not an old subject. I looked but didnt see it.
Some sites I read claim they reduce noise up to 80%.\
I would like to reduse my noise going in to my stand, even though I walk 1/4 mile into where I hunt.
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Home)
    • The Deer Camp
Re: ATV muffler silencer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:33 PM »
I would like to reduse my noise going in to my stand, even though I walk 1/4 mile into where I hunt.

GOLEE, I won one here at TH. It is a Kolpin product. This is the link for that thread, http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=4345.0 . I found, and the people at Kolpin verified it, you can't tell much difference at the ATV because of the motor noise, but from a distance, it is much quieter. I use to put a radiator hose on my muffler and let it hang almost to the ground to quieten my ATV down. I may add that to my Stealth Muffler too! La. Wildlife and Fisheries enforcement officers use to do that to their ATVs to slip up on people.
LIFE IS GOOD AT THE DEER CAMP!

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
Hunters For The Hungry Of LA, B.O.D.
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger
NRA MEMBER
QDMA MEMBER
GATOR OUTFITTERS - Pro-Staff

Online GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »

GOLEE, I won one here at TH. It is a Kolpin product. This is the link for that thread, http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=4345.0 . I found, and the people at Kolpin verified it, you can't tell much difference at the ATV because of the motor noise, but from a distance, it is much quieter. I use to put a radiator hose on my muffler and let it hang almost to the ground to quieten my ATV down. I may add that to my Stealth Muffler too! La. Wildlife and Fisheries enforcement officers use to do that to their ATVs to slip up on people.

Thanks for the info. I will look into. I have a spot Im trying to get into, that is fenced by 2 sides, so there is only one way in there, and that is to stop at a safe distance and walk in. Im trying to work with a non hunting land owner to give me another way in, but he hasnt gave me permission yet. If not, Im going to look into this route. I know my deer can hear me coming in this place. I would rather give them less to think about.
Thanks for the info.
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Home)
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
I wish someone would come out with a muffler that would quieten the ATV down to almost nothing. I know the back pressure would hurt the performance, but I wouldn't mind it too much if it let me sneak in a little quieter.
LIFE IS GOOD AT THE DEER CAMP!

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
Hunters For The Hungry Of LA, B.O.D.
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger
NRA MEMBER
QDMA MEMBER
GATOR OUTFITTERS - Pro-Staff

Offline Copperhead

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • ...wasting my day at work when I could be huntin'.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
I won one last year from TalkHunting and Kolpin. I can't tell a lot of difference while on the throttle but it seems to quieten it considerably when at idle or slow speed. I can't tell that it lowered the performance at all. I would recommend one. Hope this helps.
NRA Member
NAHC Member
Whitetail Fanatic
Crimson Tide Fan \\\\\\\"Roll Tide Roll!\\\\\\\"
Team Southern Boys

Online GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »
I wish someone would come out with a muffler that would quieten the ATV down to almost nothing. I know the back pressure would hurt the performance, but I wouldn't mind it too much if it let me sneak in a little quieter.

Same here, Im pretty invested in this 4 wheeler. I have even been looking at old golf carts on craigslist, to see if i can find an old fixwer upper to just go back and forth in. I would love to have the bad boy buggy, but I could by a new truck for that price.
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master

Offline klures99

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »

Same here, Im pretty invested in this 4 wheeler. I have even been looking at old golf carts on craigslist, to see if i can find an old fixwer upper to just go back and forth in. I would love to have the bad boy buggy, but I could by a new truck for that price.
No doubt there. I'll walk in from my new truck and then drag the bucks back with the noisy 4wheeler.
2011 Team WPCS
2010 #24 Southern Boys
\/        \/
  \/     \/
   \|  |/
    (. .)
      U
Mikes magic pro staff
National Fishing Lure collectors club
North American Hunt club life member

Offline indianahunter

• Fawn
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »
In my search for a monster buck I have been going farther and farther into the woods this year. I have been looking for an ATV silencer myself because the easier it is for me to get to my stand the more times I can go hunting. I will be looking into that link from BuubaBrown also and hope this is answer to my problem. Also I never thought of it but I like golf cart idea also just not sure if it has the power to go everywhere I would be traveling.
fabric structures are durable and weather resistant.

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »
Ya read my mind as I was checking trailcams yesterday, was watching all the animals scurrying around and was wondering just have many that I wasnt seeing because my atv was to loud. Gonna have to check into one of these myself.

Offline Tank76

• 4 Point
  • RTR!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea of adding a silencer to my ATV as well. I'll have to try the radiator hose trick!

3 guys I hunt with all have golf carts and the stealthiness is awesome but the hilly terrain we have kills the battery life. For driving to and from a stand the carts do very well.
A wise head keeps a shut mouth.

Offline Deerhead

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
They work!

Boballistic had one on his Honda 400 for several years.  He could run me over and I would never hear him drive up.  Now understand he does not drive fast.  Slow and steady.  At idol you could hear the cams cling.  But no pop from the muffler.   
Team Skully

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »
it would not help me i have a hole in my muffer about midway, so it pops and roars when i slow down , need to win a bad boy buggy. woner if Lee would let me have his.

I HELPS TO DREAM BIG. 

AYONE ELSE OUT HAVE 1989 HONDA FOURTRAX 300. 
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com