New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: using a jake fan  (Read 1124 times)

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
using a jake fan
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »
How many of you use just  a jake tail fan and if you do how do you go about doing it. I saved one from last year that i would like to use with my decoy set up but don't want to wreck my good decoys. I was thinking something like 1/4 inch plywood with a stick and painted or something like that. It's getting close to my season and i don't want to wait until the last minute to try this out.
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Re: using a jake fan
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
I have 2 of them. Never did draw a turkey in ##$%#1118
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:58:58 AM »
If you are going to use a jake fan the first thing you have to do is raise the two center feathers to make them even with the rest , a Tom will see that it is a Jake fan and pass it by otherwise .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
never used one....but the jake decoy near a hen makes them mad...I know they come to fight adult gobblers my partner uses a pretty boy decoy and it worked really good @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »
If you are going to use a jake fan the first thing you have to do is raise the two center feathers to make them even with the rest , a Tom will see that it is a Jake fan and pass it by otherwise .

Don't you mean the outside feathers as the inside are the high ones on a Jake. If you do even up the tail features then you  have an adult Tom.

I have this plastic Jake deal that just stands-up there on a decoy stake. You fan out the stake into 3 prongs to keep the fan spread out. Problem is you have to faltten it out the night beofre. You could roll it up but the plastic has too much memory. I just did not have any success with it. Lone hens seem to draw the big boy in. ##$%#1118
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
Believe it or not, I think it is a lot like deer hunting. It really depends on the ratio of hens to Toms. A Tom who already has a bunch of hens and not much competition will not pay as much attention to a Jake as one who has to fight for every hen he has. So Jake decoys may work some places and not well in others.

I say try it, maybe on a cheap rubber Jake decoy setup right behind a laying hen. See what happens. If the Tom thinks his hen is about to be "sired" by another male... it might bring him in. If it doesn't work after a while, try something else maybe like just hen decoys.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:40 AM »
I have a B-Mobile and I have had to save him many times in the past form getting his butt whooped.
Never used a Jake though.
If I had a choice I would go with a gobbler decoy.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:41:33 AM »
used a jake tailfan many times and it works great if u have a hen decoy and a jake strutting with her and a gobbler see it most of the time the fights on . heres a little example if u was in high school and a senior and a freshman was trying to ask ur girlfriend out and u really thouight u loved her would u let a pimply face freshman take her out i doubt it or atleast there would be a fight .

I have a jake decoy and i cut his tail so i could put the fan in and make it look like he was strutting homemade job.
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »
I have neve rused a jake fan but I know people who have and works that being said you have to careful becaus eif you have a high population of jakes in the area they will gang up on a gobbler and run him off- so if the gobbler sees a jake fan he may be conditioned to avoid it because he got whooped by 5 or 6 jakes-- The gobbler fan would work better cause he may only face 1 bird to get the hen--  This wa sthe case in Texas when we hunted there if you saw jakes and I mean 10-15 in a group you pulled up and left cause you would see no gobblers-- I would use it with a hen decoy any which way make look like he is following her. @--0--0101
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »
We use a jake fan on the B-mobile.  We actually cut the beard down on it since its so big to start with.  last year in combination with the jake fan on the B-mobile and two hens we had two birds long beards on the ground in just a 15 minute hunt. I would say it works all depends on the time of year too.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »
I found one , two or three hens alone were more effective than a Tom decoy.  @--0--0109
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project